.2 gen airbag and steerin wheel swap problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:42 PM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default .2 gen airbag and steerin wheel swap problem

hi guys
today I was having my old triangular steering wheel swap for a .2 gen steering wheel.. I have a .2 gen car with the old steering wheel.
when then s wheels is on and I install the airbag, the airbag goes all the way inside not sitting flush with the steering wheel, like if I was pushing the horn and the bag was not returning.. the S wheels has two springs inside I did put some masking tape on them to build up some pressure, doing the samethign helps a lot the airbag returns to normal position.. anyone that might have some knowledge on this topic..thanks

Last edited by solrac6262; 11-13-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

No specific knowledge regarding your problem; when I swapped out my button PDK wheel for the PDK paddle shift wheel (dealer install actually) the airbag module was a perfect fit. Two possible scenarios though. Either the hub design of your old and new wheels are not identical, or the installation was not done correctly. You're dealing with a critical safety component that literally works with explosive force. An improper installation, for whatever reason, could have catastrophic results. I'm unclear as to whether this was a DIY project or not. In any event. unless you're absolutely sure of the issue, I'd have a Porsche dealer resolve this for you. Just my $.02
Old 10-01-2011, 07:28 PM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

thanks Mike, the dealer was putting the airbag, but the tech had the issue, he told me and showed me the problem, he doesnt know what it is, airbag is a .2 gen and steering wheels also .2 gen....don't now why this is happening.. my airbag goes in.. but if you push the horn, it won't go back ..its like no pressure for the thing to return
Old 10-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Sorry for your trouble....hope it gets resolved.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:58 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by solrac6262
thanks Mike, the dealer was putting the airbag, but the tech had the issue, he told me and showed me the problem, he doesnt know what it is [...]
I agree with Mike. Let these guys get hold of Porsche's tech line and they tell you how they resolved it. On this subject, I wouldn't give them even a hint, and I'm a graduate engineer. An airbag is like a grenade in your lap. Improvising is how you get seriously hurt. They need to know how it goes in, and if they don't, then they need to call on somebody else in the Porsche technical chain until they either get a definitive answer or a new airbag and steering wheel that do fit together.

Don't let them play around "looking for an answer."

Gary
Old 10-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I had the same issue once. If you don't get all of the wires back the same way they were routed originally the airbag may bind.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by simsgw
Let these guys get hold of Porsche's tech line and they tell you how they resolved it. On this subject, I wouldn't give them even a hint, and I'm a graduate engineer. An airbag is like a grenade in your lap. Improvising is how you get seriously hurt. They need to know how it goes in, and if they don't, then they need to call on somebody else in the Porsche technical chain until they either get a definitive answer or a new airbag and steering wheel that do fit together.

Don't let them play around "looking for an answer."

Gary
Absolutely.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SW

I am going to have my SW re-covered by DCT. wanted estimate first, he told me yesterday, that there are 3 different types for 997.2 and needs a pic.
Ask Ivan, he prob knows why.

Quick Reply: .2 gen airbag and steerin wheel swap problem