Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Tires in New York

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:09 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is anyone doing real miles on winter tires? I do about 500 highway miles every week for business even in winter. Last winter I was taking a rental if it was snowy. Do the Alpins or the Sottozeros hold up over 500 miles a week for 2 months?
I do about 140 miles every weekend in the winter (to Long Island and back) and the occasional longer trip (Maine, Vermont and Florida) on 18" Michelin Pilot Alpin 2 tires on Sport Edition Cup 4 wheels from TireRack. So far, the tires and wheels have performed well and I will soon be putting them on for their second year.

Most of my driving is on highways and city streets. I drive through snow if necessary although I do not seek it out. I am cautious about ice. As described in an earlier post, potholes are an unavoidable risk on the highways near the city and, of course, also on the streets of the city. Although nothing can protect you from everything, my winter 18" wheels and tires have more give than my stock summer 19" wheels. And, if worst comes to worst, my cheaper winter wheels are less expensive to replace than my 19" summer Porsche OEMs.

Last year, I drove from the city to Florida and back on my winter tires. The performance was fine but, again, that was mostly on Interstates.

Finally, even if you completely avoid snow, ice and potholes (unlikely) and drive conservatively, I would still recommend snow tires simply to be confident of not losing traction on turns (off-ramps and whatever) when the temperature is below the mid-40s. With the mileage that you put on, that is reason enough to have winter tires.

Your winter driving style and needs may be very different from mine. If not, I think you will be well advised to get 18" wheels and PA2s -- although there my be something newer and better. In any case, I suggest that you call Damon at TireRack and get his advice.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires in New York