Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 GTS 2011 vs. 2012 What are the differences?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kosmo

I totally agree! Not to brag but I race cars semi-professionally, I'm in respected profession (as I sure most people are that's on this board). I've held back from buying a Porsche because my kids were too little and now they are older and I can "justify" this car because it has backseats also a good balance of performance/daily usage versus say a GT3RS that I really wanted... My 8 yr old son wanted me to buy a Ferrari and we even thought about it, funny thing he brought it up at the Porsche dealership and the sales person told him that he couldn't ride in it as it didn't have backseats and that Porsche GTS was the best for us... I'm not offended or upset, more annoyed than anything else.

as for the 991, I'm worried about all the gremlins of being a first year car, and Porsches (unlike others) are classic cars no matter what year it is, the 997 GTS I feel is completed sorted out and will remain in my stable for a lot of years to come (hopefully without much maintain other then the normal scheduled stuff).

I really hate the car buying games and process... NOT Fun!

Last edited by Wannabeproracer; 09-30-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:21 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Wait another day until the end of the month? You'll be bumping right into his end of month quota.
But wait - you've missed some details for all of us - color? Options?
month end

quarter end

patience. if not this one, another one soon will pop up
Old 09-30-2011, 12:39 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

My dealer is Ray Catena in NJ.

I wouldn't deal with the dealer whose salesmen said what he said to you. That's bs. I wonder when the last time was the sales guy made a $100k+ offer on a car? What an a$$. I'd go to another dealer and have them get the car for you and then send a pic of you and your new car to them.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:14 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I've heard mostly good things about Walters and Pacific has a decent reputation, I think. Newport maybe not so much. But if they have the same car in inventory, why not call them and negotiate by phone? Even better when you can tell the first dealer you bought the same car elsewhere and screw them!

I am very close to management at my dealer (Downtown L.A.) and could help but they only appear to have a 12 white GTS cab in stock.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

hey guys/gals,

If I ordered a GTS, how long does that take for delivery and will the dealer allow me to negotiate price to what we've talked about?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:20 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

My dealer said 997 cars are done for ordering unless they have a allocation being built. So you'll have to find a dealer that has a 997GTS being built and see if you can change any options on it.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:31 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wannabeproracer
I really don't get it? We're in a double dip recession, I have cash in hand and my offer from all accounts isn't unreasonable but yet the dealer walks away and tells me that may be I should look for a cheaper car that fits within my budget? Wow! Really!?!
First, that sounds like a sales tactic - goad the shopper into buying by insulting the amount he wants to spend. Second, a stance like that wouldn't fly in a market different from southern California since we typically see greater discounts in the rest of the country. A great discount in, say, Maryland would probably be unattainable in California; a great discount in California would be a negotiation starting point in Maryland.

You mentioned a Ferrari - you can put a kid in the back of a California... if you're going with a two-pedal Porsche, the Ferrari is not a bad choice.

Look at dealers outside the area. Trucking a car across the country takes less time than you might think.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:38 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a racer can you use some of your contacts in the auto circuit to get it done? At this point I would advise dealing directly w/ the Sales Mgr rather than the sales person.
The Ferrari FF has rear seats. Some of the Ferrari guys refer to it as "F'in FAILURE."
Old 09-30-2011, 10:39 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Kosmo

I totally agree! Not to brag but I race cars semi-professionally, I'm in respected profession (as I sure most people are that's on this board). I've held back from buying a Porsche because my kids were too little and now they are older and I can "justify" this car because it has backseats also a good balance of performance/daily usage versus say a GT3RS that I really wanted... My 8 yr old son wanted me to buy a Ferrari and we even thought about it, funny thing he brought it up at the Porsche dealership and the sales person told him that he couldn't ride in it as it didn't have backseats and that Porsche GTS was the best for us... I'm not offended or upset, more annoyed than anything else.

I really hate the car buying games and process... NOT Fun!
i really like GTS car. I do beleive it will be better buy than newest batch of 991 cars as they are too new, to be honest, it will be better to wait for porsche to sort out possible 991 issues...

as of how good GTS is for track fun - do not kid yourself, it is not GT3 RS car.
but it is way way better deal than old 997.1 car. you get very good motor in GTS, almost same as in GT3 RS. if you order car with SPASM suspension you also get kinda close deal as GTS has wide body, but shocks are valved differently, GT3 RS body is more rigid as weld points are a bit different but all in all from what i saw good drivers in GTS cars can do very fast lap times on a track - those are very very fast cars.

also, i do not see a GT3 RS to travel on a road any other way as on a trailer. it is just not a road car no matter how people want to beleive into it. it is not same bad as to try to street drive a cup car but still - it sits very low. even with optional front shocks lifter system it is a PITA. springs are stiff, shocks are stiff.
GTS the way it is - is a way better deal if you want to enjoy it for both street and track. only downside you have with GTS is an Aisin made gearbox but you know, those are relatively cheap - go with a 6sp box, order SPASM option to get free LSD in the package, sport chrono as well, navigation - it is typically a $117K car, bargain to get 10% off that price and enjoy it with no doubts. If you will ever be tempted to compete with GT3 RS car you will be able to adjust your suspension to RS level and of power question - it is also possible to get more from GTS motor than stock 405 something horses.

As of dealer tactics and arrogance - ignore that BS. Spec your car very carefully and search for a best match. be aware that you cannot retrofit navigation into those cars so you need to find one that already has it built in.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 AM
DLennox
Banned

Originally Posted by Waxer
My 2011 GTS was $127K list. I was out the door at $114K.

Hope this provides some sort of guage.
Here's the latest, $119k! Dealer holding firm, claims to be into it for 109k
Out the door prices are hard to compare because we all have different tax rates and titling fees. If we can compare the price of the car without the state fees, that will help with a more fair discussion.
Also, if the dealer owns the car for $109k, why does anyone think they should sell it for less than that? Selling something for a loss is probably the worst business practice I can think of. The economy has very little impact on these cars, it will sell to someone.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Once again great feedback!
So no PDK, 6sp, sport suspension, Bose, nav and sport chrono. Stupid question but is sports suspension spasm?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:25 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by DLennox
Out the door prices are hard to compare because we all have different tax rates and titling fees. If we can compare the price of the car without the state fees, that will help with a more fair discussion.
Also, if the dealer owns the car for $109k, why does anyone think they should sell it for less than that? Selling something for a loss is probably the worst business practice I can think of. The economy has very little impact on these cars, it will sell to someone.
a dealer will sell below cost because their financing cost is rising. Sometimes you have to sell at a loss to prevent from losing more.

I competely disagree on the eco's impact on these cars. It wasnt too long ago that hi line cars were in a free fall.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:27 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Hey wannabeproracer, did you check w/ BH Porsche. VIN WP0AB2A98BS721083 at $114,900 looks nice, tho it is black. I bet you can get 10% off on that one.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Thank you kosmo, but unfortunately any color but black and red. Too hard to keep clean and avoid swirl marks.

You guys are great!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:22 PM
DLennox
Banned

Originally Posted by kosmo
a dealer will sell below cost because their financing cost is rising. Sometimes you have to sell at a loss to prevent from losing more.

I competely disagree on the eco's impact on these cars. It wasnt too long ago that hi line cars were in a free fall.
Yes, the financing cost is there, buy normally, manufacturers build in a certain amount of floorplan expense. There is usually 45-90 days of no interest built in to new vehicles. After that, floorplan interest is very low so that isn't a big factor until a car gets very old. Depending on the floorplan bank, the time you are able to keep a car on floorplan is a much more significant factor.
If, for example, the bank will only floorplan a vehicle for 12 months, when a dealer has a vehicle for that long it has to be paid off. That time is a significant time and that is what really cost a dealership a lot of money because they then own the car and have to move it to free up cash.
A dealer or salesperson that says they are loosing money to sell a car that is not a very old unit is not being truthfull. A dealer will not loose money on a vehicle just for the sake of moving it unless it is a very old unit that they own and is no longer floorplanned or if it is a goofy unit that will be very hard to sell.
I'm sure things are different in Ca, but when I picked up my new GTS, the salesman had 3 deliveries there and the dealership was packed.....its hard to say things are bad there!

Quick Reply: 997 GTS 2011 vs. 2012 What are the differences?