Sponsored by:

The Slow-Motion Exhaust Modification

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default The Slow-Motion Exhaust Modification

I took the C2S in for that service bulletin yesterday. I noticed something interesting when the mechanic took it from the reception plaza into the shop through a short tunnel. Damn, the exhaust sounds great. One way is to install something aftermarket. Or cut something out. The other way is to drive it 28,000 miles in the cheerful rpm ranges.

Gary
Old 09-22-2011, 09:29 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Is this the fabled drive mod? With enough miles it will sound right. I bought my '08 with 46K hwy miles on it. Sounded too civilized at first and I was starting to miss the roar of my old m3 then I put 2.5k miles on her... perhaps most in the right rpm ranges as well. She growls like a big cat now and my wife complains that she's loud. Purrfect... maybe this mod is true and not just my own perception.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Is this the fabled drive mod? With enough miles it will sound right.
Must be. I was skeptical, even though I remember the old "glass pack" mufflers from the sixties showing that behavior.

This is just a great side effect of enjoying your car regularly. Put paid to any thought of my installing the sport exhaust. Hell, I'd need ear muffs.

Gary
Old 09-23-2011, 03:14 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking for a quick inexpensive exhaust mod, may I suggest the "Gundo Hack". I did this, along with a set of AWE crossover pipes and the sound is perfect; No drone, just the right amount of "growl". These mods were much cheaper that buying an aftermarket exhaust system.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing like driving into the Berkeley tunnel on highway 24 at WOT with a Sharky By Pass in a GT3. Windows rolled Down of course. Best to do this after midnight so you don't have to compete with grandad in his slow *** camry jogging up the lanes.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Skibum
Banned

There is nothing to "evolve" in a stock can other than an objectionable rattle. (There is no sound deadening material within.)
I don't believe you can attribute the change to that.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Must be. I was skeptical, even though I remember the old "glass pack" mufflers from the sixties showing that behavior.

This is just a great side effect of enjoying your car regularly. Put paid to any thought of my installing the sport exhaust. Hell, I'd need ear muffs.

Gary
Gary....I notice the exact same thing in my car.......no way I'd ever do the SE!

Tom
Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skibum
There is nothing to "evolve" in a stock can other than an objectionable rattle. (There is no sound deadening material within.)
I don't believe you can attribute the change to that.
The sound fairy? Dunno. But it began to mellow around 15,000 miles and started getting thumbs-up gestures from nearby bikers et al when I blipped at a light. (How do you blip with a PDK? How could anyone drive a car you can't blip? Is there a button... Nah, never mind.)

Now at 28,000, it combines a quiet cruise with a ferocious roar on acceleration over about 4000 rpm and a burbling idle that reminds me of those hyper-expensive inboard powerboats that movie stars used to run around in on Newport Bay. Like that MGM lion that growls open each of their movies, but as if he ducked his head under a bubble bath first. Lovely.

Gary
Old 09-24-2011, 03:24 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The sound fairy struck once more today on my eager drive to work and back... or perhaps it was just the roar of envy from those who's pocket books have drained a bit for needlessly tacticool add on's and techno slush boxes around me. The snick snick shifts of her gears reminds me that she truly has the soul of a legendary sports car. Grinning all the miles home I try to contain my outward euphoria from others on the road. Who am I kidding... there is no restraint of the ying/yang resonance as her bark echoes beneath the fwy by passes for all to hear… I still can’t believe I’m driving a Porsche.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:08 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Semper fi.
Hoo rah.

G
Old 09-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Skibum
Banned

I'm no expert Gary, but have you looked inside a stock can? There is nothing inside that could change without some objectionable rattles. I was thinking that any change in sound could better be attributed to the Cats, or perhaps something in the engines program.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:33 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the "xray"!! Can you come to my house and xray my headliner??
Old 09-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
I took the C2S in for that service bulletin yesterday. I noticed something interesting when the mechanic took it from the reception plaza into the shop through a short tunnel. Damn, the exhaust sounds great. One way is to install something aftermarket. Or cut something out. The other way is to drive it 28,000 miles in the cheerful rpm ranges.

Gary
Yep. Ditto. Recently have had the same thing. Was getting very close to doing a Gundo Hack but am holding off now due to the recent increase in volume and growl. My neighbor as recently noticed the same thing in his 07. I've just over 25k. Perhaps it is the Cats. Thanks Exhaust Troll! You rock!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by McCulla
Love the "xray"!! Can you come to my house and xray my headliner??
Thanks to Fabspeed for the image.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:59 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skibum
I'm no expert Gary, but have you looked inside a stock can? There is nothing inside that could change without some objectionable rattles. I was thinking that any change in sound could better be attributed to the Cats, or perhaps something in the engines program.[/IMG]
Nope. No idea how it happens, nor did I expect it. As I said, I was considering the installation of a PSE as a birthday gift to the car. Now, I see no need or desire for one.

I'm just describing, not explaining. I might add that it isn't viewed as unusual or a problem by the dealer's service department.

Gary

Quick Reply: The Slow-Motion Exhaust Modification