Sponsored by:

Ignition switch rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:49 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Ignition switch rattle

Does anyone have a problem with thier ignition system rattling? My ignition rattles a bit. If i put pressure on the spot where the key goes into the ignition the rattling stops- it's not the key in the ignition it's the ignition in the ingition-surround.

I'm wondering if anyone has changed out the ignition surround etc.?

By the way- I don't have a keychain. This problem was maybe created by a previous owner with a heavy keychain or something but it wasn't me.

thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 05:18 PM
magicjack
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reviving an old post.

I too am experiencing a rattle coming from the ignition switch while driving. If I reach down and put some pressure on the key, the rattle stops. I saw someone experienced this after a dead battery and yanking on the key.

Has anyone else experienced this or think of a fix. I'm close to taking off the panels there to get a better look.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:57 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I test drove a used C2S a few years ago and the car had this problem, the Sales Mgr. showed me a box in the back with the ignition switch part and said it is fairly common problem and they will change it before selling it. If you have to replace yours it should not be that expensive.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:30 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
I test drove a used C2S a few years ago and the car had this problem, the Sales Mgr. showed me a box in the back with the ignition switch part and said it is fairly common problem and they will change it before selling it. If you have to replace yours it should not be that expensive.
Bringing this thread back again...

My ignition switch rattles/buzzes from time to time over small bumps, botts dots, etc. Putting pressure on the key solves the problem.

For those that have swapped out the ignition box, do you know if there was a change made to the box design to fix the problem or is it simply a matter of some boxes buzzing and others not. I'm trying to get an idea of buying a new box is going to fix the problem or is there a chance I get another buzzing box.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:16 PM
madant15
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also suffering from this issue. Did anyone find the true culprit here? Is the rattle coming from the ignition box itself or the rivet attachment point on the back of the dash?
Old 02-26-2015, 06:51 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by madant15
I am also suffering from this issue. Did anyone find the true culprit here? Is the rattle coming from the ignition box itself or the rivet attachment point on the back of the dash?
I eventually found that in my case the key ring was responsible for most of the noise.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:41 PM
3putt4DG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what year yours is - and there is a big difference relative to what it takes to replace - but in my 06 C2S that I replaced the ignition switch on a few weeks ago - photos attached - I can tell you it is an all or nothing replacement. No trim pieces to replace.
Attached Images   
Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 3putt4DG
Not sure what year yours is - and there is a big difference relative to what it takes to replace - but in my 06 C2S that I replaced the ignition switch on a few weeks ago - photos attached - I can tell you it is an all or nothing replacement. No trim pieces to replace.
Do you just pull that whole piece out?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:38 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
I eventually found that in my case the key ring was responsible for most of the noise.
The only thing that rattles or makes sounds in my car is my house key attached to the key ring that is attached to the car key. I used to carry the car key with nothing attached to it but it just felt weird since I have no need to carry the house key.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:48 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I switched it out and it didn't help much. I've never had any ring or additional keys on my porsche key. It still rattles a little.

My switch looks like the one above.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:25 AM
3putt4DG
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3Series
Do you just pull that whole piece out?
Yes - pop off the dash trim ring then remove the large plastic nut (for lack of a better word) that secures the switch to the dash.
You can see in this profile photo the threads where it attaches.
They sell a tool for removing this nut but if you can just get it started a 1/4 turn you can remove by hand the rest of the way.
Then you push the switch out thru the back of the dash and disconnect the harness.
You better have small hands or a small child as an assistant when you reach thru the back of the dash to get it out and put the new one in.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2015, 08:36 AM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Make sure you only have the one key on the key chain. Too many keys will pull on ignition and could cause it to rattle.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:07 AM
the-goose
5th Gear

Reviving this post again...

When you replace the key switch, with a new box or the Audi equivalent, what happens to your keys etc.? I have two regular keys and a plastic valet key.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:12 PM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

The ignition switch is a code reader (IR?). I replaced my ignition switch module and all my keys work.

Quick Reply: Ignition switch rattle