Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:21 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

if the clutch pedal came up when released, can you look at the intersection of the clutch housing and engine?- just check to make sure it's not damp with oil. You can get this kind of sympton if the clutch is wet with oil. After spinning it up, it burns the oil off. maybe you have a slow rear main seal leak. you can also see this is the clutch spring is broken but it seems to be working fine so you can rule this out. Is it possible that that clutch was full of dust or humidity etc?

if the clutch pedal absolutlely did not come up when released, then I'd look at the slave on the top of the trans... is it binding somehow. also is the hydaulic line crimped or something.. this would be unlikely since it's working fine now. it also could be the mat but the clutch returns with a lot of force, it's not like an accelerator pedal.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver-BC
When I was looking at 997s the salesperson indicated that not having a sports chrono was an advantage on a car with manual transmission--of course one could always turn it off. He said they run into more clutch problems on cars with sports chrono than those without.
i've heard the same thing, I might keep it off.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by 997_rich
if the clutch pedal came up when released, can you look at the intersection of the clutch housing and engine?- just check to make sure it's not damp with oil. You can get this kind of sympton if the clutch is wet with oil. After spinning it up, it burns the oil off. maybe you have a slow rear main seal leak. you can also see this is the clutch spring is broken but it seems to be working fine so you can rule this out. Is it possible that that clutch was full of dust or humidity etc?

if the clutch pedal absolutlely did not come up when released, then I'd look at the slave on the top of the trans... is it binding somehow. also is the hydaulic line crimped or something.. this would be unlikely since it's working fine now. it also could be the mat but the clutch returns with a lot of force, it's not like an accelerator pedal.
The pedal did come up. I can't get under the car to see, but I can ceck for oil drips. As far as hunidity, it sat for the whole month of August in my garage and a good portion of June and July. That's why I put soo much on the Targa, I was at my vacation home almost every weekend, where the Targa "lives". The garage is not air conditioned, so was full of Humidity all summer.

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 09-20-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Guards TBD as it is on sale now and i want it.
What does TBD stand for?

Is that something different from a Guard LSD?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:08 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
What does TBD stand for?

Is that something different from a Guard LSD?
yes. LSD works during both acceleration and braking. Costs $3K+ and it is a best option for track only car.
TBD is a torque biasing differential - it engages only during acceleration and does not help much to stabilize your braking BUT does not interfere much with low speed sharp turns so it works well for autocross and street cars. It costs (temporarily) more than 2 times less than full LSD as Guard has overstock on them at this moment. I do not have $3K to burn right now so TBD will do just fine. People in GT3 cars have better option as they can simply send their stock units to Guard for rebuild - I have C2 car with stock open differential so I need to buy one.

read this:
http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/caym...omparison.html

PS. word on a street is that used Quaife is cheaper but they eventually (3-5 DE seasons) may/do die and Guards TBD is pretty much immortal. Considerinng current sale price on Guard TBD it is the best option IMHO. Some people have Quaife units for pretty long time with no issues but as i was asking around it seems Guards is a better choice plus Matt is a great person to deal with so my money go to him.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:43 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

For piece of mind, I am going to bring it in on Thurs. They will test drive the car and check for leaks. He also did say from sitting in the hunidity, it can build up corrosion (just like a disc brake) and could have caused the slippage.

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 09-20-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:30 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
He also did say from sitting in the hunidity, it can build up corrosion (just like a disc brake) and could have caused the slippage.
Another reason that these cars should be driven and not kept as garage queens. I know the OP said he'd been driving his other car as he was at his vacation home but . . .
Old 09-20-2011, 07:15 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by CarGuy21
Another reason that these cars should be driven and not kept as garage queens. I know the OP said he'd been driving his other car as he was at his vacation home but . . .
haha, I am the op! I agree w/ the queen theory, but it's not really a "queen". I have a DD and a family car, so this is the toy. I travel frequently into manhattan, so this as a DD is NG! I drive it when I can on the weekends, but w/ 3 kids under 7 my liberties are limited! This summer was bad news for the C2S, because I was away almost every wknd at the summer home, so the C2S sat and the Targa ran. Now it's flip flopped, because now I am home most weekends and the C2S will get the most seat time, till next summer.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Taxi?
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sarge,

A similar thing (including smell) happened to me a couple of months ago trying going up a steep parking garage ramp after stopping behind another vehicle. Turns out I had it in 2nd gear. Hope your car checks out fine.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Taxi?
Sarge,

A similar thing (including smell) happened to me a couple of months ago trying going up a steep parking garage ramp after stopping behind another vehicle. Turns out I had it in 2nd gear. Hope your car checks out fine.
What still puzzles me though, is that even if I was in the wrong gear, i should be getting high revs but slight movement w/ my foot off the clutch. Maybe I thought I released my foot, which I could swear I did. It's second nature. I really think a lot of corrosion built up on the plate, from sitting most of the humid summer. I don;t need to remind anybody how much rain and dampness / humidity was is the NE this summer. That also contributed to not driving it, because if I wasn't at the summer home on the wknd, it was most likely raining. So then I couldn't drive it anyway. It was the second time i had her out since mid July.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Instead of dropping off @ 7:30am tomorrow, I dropped off @ 2:30 today. Gave the manger a little grease and he has the car checked immediately. I received the call 2 hrs later. He said the test drive proved nothing and the inspection of the master cylinder was fine. He also mentioned that he once saw a rubber gasket of some sort wear out on a cylinder one time, something to do w/ the "plunger" and could make a pedal stick. Other than that, he said he would have to tear it down and do a visual inspection, which was not recommended and I wouldn't have done anyway, unless it was consistently slipping. So basically car came thru w/ flying colors. He suspects either corrosion from sitting so long, in such / damp humid conditions or just an anamoly. Now she will be run at least every sat and sun, weather permittting, till next summer. Glad at least I have the piece of mind of having it checked out. My kids love going for rides, etc and I would never have forgiven myself if something happened and I never brought it in.
As a side note, there are 2 "campaigns" that are out there for the 997.2s of certain build dates. Mine is getting a software upgrade and a 4hr job to replace the fuel pump.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Gliding_Serpent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver-BC
When I was looking at 997s the salesperson indicated that not having a sports chrono was an advantage on a car with manual transmission--of course one could always turn it off. He said they run into more clutch problems on cars with sports chrono than those without.
Probably more due to the type of driver that buys that kind of car/feature (and what they do to the car), than the car itself...
Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gliding_Serpent
Probably more due to the type of driver that buys that kind of car/feature (and what they do to the car), than the car itself...
Mine actually came w/ the SCP, car was in stock when I bought it. Not sure if I would have ordered it as an option, although you do notice the increased throttle response.

Quick Reply: Clutch Issues