Sponsored by:

Where is the REVOLUTIONARY 998/991?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
GP and Harvey, if you have been here for as long as I have this is what we talked about, also many people HERE were going to wait until this revolutionary edition was going to come out and the target years were around 2011/2012. Things that were discussed and leaked out of the company-***NOTE MOST of this was BEFORE VW BOUGHT PORSHCE***

The PDK was one of the things we talked about, its been delivered. The TIP has always been considered a failure compared to the manual and now the PDK is worthy if not better than the Manual, Indeed the PDK is a manual tranny shifted automatically and the new manual will be like the PDK manual parts

Elimination of the flat 6 and maybe a detuned or NOT version of the 4.8L CGT motor. This may or may NOT have stayed with the rear engine layout.

WHich leads to the next possible issue was the mid engine movement, which was going to put the 911 at the head of any car in the handling department, if is isnt already.

There were MANY MANY topics of discussion- so GPJ instead of insulting me try to understand the intellectual content and the history of my post. I am not as stupid as you may think. YES everything has been evolutionary, and thats why people were talking bout this 2011/2012 Revolutionary change that was talked about. I have had or been around some form of 911 since 1969. So YES I have NOTICED the 45 year evolution. I have been around the 911 show probably longer than you have.
That doesnt change my mind about the 997.2 though, THat WAS a revolutionary change and what a CHANGE It was!! It got me to move from TT's and GT3 to a ordinary Carrera 2 S, which is better than the other 911s I have had.
Before knocking someone think about the topic first.
F430 to 458. This is a revolutionary change. I agree with you old guy. I was hoping for a little more. The changes I'm hearing are better fuel economy, room for a gas electric hybrid, power assisted steering. Hmmm.....
Jim
Old 09-17-2011, 11:44 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
F430 to 458. This is a revolutionary change. I agree with you old guy. I was hoping for a little more. The changes I'm hearing are better fuel economy, room for a gas electric hybrid, power assisted steering. Hmmm.....
Jim
lets see... would you like foam, or down-filled seats....? dash-mounted cup holders or in the console...?
Old 09-18-2011, 10:49 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I expected more in the exterior design department, I guess. But if you think about it, how much could they really change? Headlights and front fenders couldnt have been changed too much. That pretty much dictates the look of the entire front end. The famous roof line had to remain "intantly recognizable". The rear mounted engine dictates the shape of the rear end. You can only do so much. Like move the mirrors, change the rear lights a little, bumpers too. The new windshield is different looking. Interior is nice. Those are all cosmetic changes, though. As others mentioned, the wheelbase and the engine moving forward a bit ARE significant changes. This can make a huge difference in the way the car handles. Until I actually see one and, more importantly, drive one, I will refrain from calling a 991 a disappointment.

P.S. I can't wait to see what the 991 GT3 and the GT3 RS will look like.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
I expected more in the exterior design department, I guess. But if you think about it, how much could they really change? Headlights and front fenders couldnt have been changed too much. That pretty much dictates the look of the entire front end. The famous roof line had to remain "intantly recognizable". The rear mounted engine dictates the shape of the rear end. You can only do so much. Like move the mirrors, change the rear lights a little, bumpers too. The new windshield is different looking. Interior is nice. Those are all cosmetic changes, though. As others mentioned, the wheelbase and the engine moving forward a bit ARE significant changes. This can make a huge difference in the way the car handles. Until I actually see one and, more importantly, drive one, I will refrain from calling a 991 a disappointment.

P.S. I can't wait to see what the 991 GT3 and the GT3 RS will look like.
Succinctly put!!! Damn, I wish I wrote as eloquently!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:48 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Porsche has always been a baby steps operation. No one in such a business makes a revolutionary change to their cash cow. Why take something that you can sell easily across the world with minimal changes and then change it radically? (What if you screw up?)

Even simple things like engine sizes have moved slowly. First the 911 was a 2.0 liter engine, then 2.2, then 2.4, then 2.7, and then 3.0 and then 3.2 and then 3.6 and then 3.4 and then 3.6 and 3.8.
I can't believe you left out the best 911 engine... the 3.2!
Old 06-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
What happened to the revolutionary 911 that was due to come out in 2011/2012?
there was going to be a big overhaul and we have all been waiting for this great car that was going to be the leading car of the sports car world. I just read the
Road and Track 991 overview and its just an other evolution with small baby steps forward or in some cases sideways. There is no 3.8 anymore the suspension is the same and the look over all is sharpened but its still a 911. I thought we were all waiting for this HUGE overhaul of the 911 in the 991 or 998. Am I just off my rocker or had Porsche just lulled us to sleep?
It's here!

Quick Reply: Where is the REVOLUTIONARY 998/991?