997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997: the last of a true manual tranny?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Default 997: the last of a true manual tranny?

With all the talk of the 991, I'm surprised the forum hasn't explored the new 7 MT more? Insofar as it's simply a reworked/retrofitted 7 speed PDK, what implications are there as to the way it will function? Combining the fact that this is the first MT that wasn't really designed as a MT with the new automatic start-stop function, has me thinking that the 991 might not feel so good with the manual transmission option. Might be better suited to PDK, which is the direction Porsche seems to be pushing.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Maybe there is talk about this in the 991 Forum (I don't spend much time there) - or maybe there might be if you cross-posted (and I don't mean that sarcastically - just a suggestion).
Old 09-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The 7 speed has a stick and a clutch and will feel like a manual. I doubt very much that you'll be able to tell while driving it that it was based on PDK which after all is itself basically a manual transmission.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

unfortunately all high end sports cars will soon be all PDK or F1 style as stock and if lucky, a manual as an option. You can't even get a manual Ferrari anymore! Cars are getting more and more vanilla!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Bob (CT)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My concern is that it seems with anything new that Porsche develops, there seems to be some teething pain (e.g. cylinder head on the early 964s; rear main seal on the early 996s, failure of high pressure fuel pump on the early 997.2). Frankly, I would be a bit concerned with the introduction of this new retrofitted PDK 7-speed manual. That said, I'm not sure it would stop me from buying the 991 because of the warranty protection.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:23 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do find it amazing that Ferrari no longer makes a manual transmission. I also understand the PDK is revolutionary ... I just have ZERO interest in owning an automatic sports car ... yes. yes, I know, it has paddles ..... but for me, shifting with paddles creates the same sensation as striking out the pitcher ... none
Old 09-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

New technology or not, the PDK is just a better way to accomplish gear changes.
After lots of years driving only manual-equipped cars, I bought a PDK car nine months ago.
While waiting for the car to arrive, I anguished over the transmission choice I'd made.
I shouldn't have.
I realize the 'old school' guys are never going to like the paddle shift thing, but the future is pretty hard to catch up to, once it's passed you by.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

It will be interesting to see the values of PDK vs manual 997s in 20 yrs.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:03 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
It will be interesting to see the values of PDK vs manual 997s in 20 yrs.
It's interesting and if we look back 20 yrs for a historical perspective... I believe the 993 came out in '93 almost 20 yrs ago. And a non-manual tranny was offered called tiptronics(marketing for auto tranny)... So if I was in the market today for a 993 and had a choice of buying one with auto(I mean tiptronics) or manual... there would be no debate - manual. So I wonder if Porsche owners had pondered/debated the same thing back in 1993. Is anyone else old enough to remember the good old days of 1993 - Jurassic Park, Indecent Proposal, Mrs. Doubtfire? and having this same dialog? I wasn't a p-car owner back then but just wondering what was the outcome? I have to believe that "to each his own" is the only answer that makes any sense. So enjoy the weekend in your 997 be it auto or manual... opps I meant PDK.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:37 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

The PDK has ALWAYS been a MANUAL transmission that is shifted AUTOMATICALLY. Its not hard for the Porsche engineers to streamline their tranny equipment by only having TWO Manual trannies that are mechanically the same and then making one of them shift automatically.

Selo I think the PDK will be AT LEAST as much as a manual if not more. Its such a joy to drive it will always
be light years ahead of the TIPTRONIC which drags down the value of say a 993 911.
The PDK will not.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:50 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Selo I think the PDK will be AT LEAST as much as a manual if not more. Its such a joy to drive it will always
be light years ahead of the TIPTRONIC which drags down the value of say a 993 911.
The PDK will not.
I ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE! Manual WILL BE WAY HIGHER in 20 years, as probably all cars then would be PDK+, PDK++, etc... and manual would be much rarer and DEFINITELY would have a MAJOR PREMIUM over PDK, there's absolutely NO QUESTION ABOUT IT!

If ANYONE wants to INVEST in a newer Porsche for 20 years, the only options are, lower produced lines such as GTS, GT3 RS, Turbo, WITH MANUAL transmission... 100% such cars would be EXTREMELY RARE in 2030, with more mechanical parts than electrical, Manual transmission engagement, LOUD exhaust, more emmissions, very low MPG (for 2030).
Old 09-16-2011, 08:10 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Alex what are you smoking? You are beating your head against history. The Tiptronic has been around a 10% decrease in price compared to a manual. NOW the PDK is FASTER than a manual. For WHAT reason would the manual be worth more than the PDK? Its SLOWER, its not where the industry is going and the PDK is a HOOT to drive. I have had THREE Manual of the best 911s EVER. 993 TT, 996 GT3 997.1 GT3 and I prefer the 2009 C2S PDK!!! And SO do ALOT of other aggressive 911 guys. As soon as the PDK came out and people found out how FAST they are, they went to the dealer and bought them and outfitted them for the track.
NOW we get guys on the GT3 forum COMPLAINING that they cant catch the 997.2 Regular Carrera S PDK on the track! They are going to join them instead of trying to beat them.
WHY oh WHY would a SLOWER 911 be worth MORE than the manual?
Look at it this way. You can drive the Carrera S PDK MANUALLY or AUTO or BOTH. Its almost THREE different cars with the PDK and the Chrono S
1. Normal automatic mode- city driving much like a Mercedes
2. Sport mode-VERY GT3 like quick for the street and very fast on long straights
3. SPort Plus is almost like a STRAIGHT TRACK car, its SO fast I just absolutely destroyed a new Vette the other day going UP a mountain.

AND YOU SHOULDNT INVEST MONEY IN A CAR, IF SO you are BETTING ON A LOSING PROPOSITION!!!! Unless its a historic Ferrari. But at these production values its not going to make a HOOT of a difference. INdeed I think the new Manual is going to be like the OLD TIPTRONIC, worth less
by a little bit. But at these production numbers it aint going to matter.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:31 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having a real problem believing that the manual trans is a thing of the past.

I just don't see it happening.. There will always be a demand for the third pedal and the joy it brings. Personally,I don't care if it's a PDK or a true manual trans.
I enjoy both of them... but to eliminate the option to choose between them would be a marketing mistake that I don't believe Porsche would make...
Did I mention that I'm still holding off buying a color TV... I just don't think it's gonna catch on...
Old 09-16-2011, 08:36 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm still waiting for Al Gore to invent the "internet."
Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

I'm saving my pennies for the 991.2. Nicknamed the drone, it's rumored to be pilotable by remote control, and able to lap the 'ring from your living room in 4:22. Shoo-wee! That'll be a freakin' blast.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997: the last of a true manual tranny?