Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock C2S on the Track

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I would suggest fresh oil (before or after depending on the last change) and high temp brake fluid. Other than that make sure your tires are in good shape with the proper pressure and that you have sufficient brake pads/rotors left. And of course, slow in/fast out, stay relaxed and have fun. Remember, it's not a race and as long as you and your car go home in one piece, you won.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:22 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been doing DEs for 10+ years, and my stock '09 C2S with PDK still challenges me to do better every time I take it out. The only things I've changed are tires - Pirelli P-Zero Corsa which are really sticky but not R-compound and better brake pads (Ferrodo DS2500).

I WISH I could drive this car to it's limit.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:35 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the most noticeable difference will be your breaks. The 911 stops so much faster and shorter than an M3 does.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:30 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend you visit your dealer and have them give you a track alignment with your stock suspension. You'll need this fairly soon anyway.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:49 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly, the only things you really need are:

1. Alignment, but not by the dealer, by an indy that knows how to set up a C2S for dual use. Depending on the C2S you buy, you could probably get upwards of -1.3 degrees camber up front, which will sharpen the steering and help reduce understeer.

2. Good brake fluid, like Castrol SRF. With this in the system, you will never have to worry about boiled fluid.

Stock pads are amazingly good and in many ways the tires are the limiting factor, not the brakes.

I've had my share of cars and students and I've been amazed at what a stock C2S (my own included) or even a stock 964, 911 SC, etc. can do at the track.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

Get an alignment and better brake fluid. I never had any problem with Super Blue or Motul 600.

Most tracks have more right turns. The puts a lot of wear on the driver's side tires. I used to wear the outside shoulder of the front wheel before I got more camber in the car. Swapping tires side to side extends their lifespan.

Pagid Blues are a good compromise for street/track once you wear out your stock pads.

Have fun. The car is more capable than you. As long as you know that, believe that and respect that along with listening to your instructor you will be fine.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:16 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You won't need to think about brake pads for a while and I had a terrible experience with Blues. There just is no such thing as a compromise pad. Either it's a street pad or a race pad, nothing in between. Every track pad sounds like a school bus on the street, so if you are going to really get into this, understand you will be swapping pads out before / after track events far in the future. I say far, because you probably have 2+ years of learning before you are going to have to worry about pads. And for fluid, I'd stay away from ATE Blue / 200. It's about the same as Porsche OEM and the problem with Blue is it stains and makes it obvious you "tinkered" with the car (ie: Warranty). ATE 200 is the exact same fluid, just without the stain. Motul and Castrol SRF (what I use) are far superior. With SRF I flush once in the early spring and don't have to do anything all season long (10-12 days at the track at Instructor pace). Costs more, but the savings in time and multiple flushes, bleeding, etc. is priceless.

Get yourself as good an alignment you can, get the fluid freshened (you will need the fluid done to pass tech anyway), and go have a good time
Old 09-15-2011, 10:09 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Ron, i did this whole season on front 'EBC yellowstuff' pads and they are acceptably ok for relaxed driving. it only starts to feel that rotors get too hot for them when i drive in advanced scda group with not that many cars on a track, but for regular PCA event with a lot of traffic EBC seems to work fine. obviously it depends of a track, both NHMS and Lime Rock are easy on brakes, but i had stock pads fading consistently at NHMS - it never happened with EBC pads. I think for people in beginner groups those pads will work fine and they squeek much less than PFC or pagids.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:55 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 113 Posts

Keep your car stock and you will do just fine. Porsche sport driving school uses stock cars on stock tires and brakes.

http://www.porschedriving.com/Sports-Driving.aspx
Old 09-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Gibbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there

The C2S is awsome on the track, here is me:-

Thats a 2006 C2S with X51 manifolds, PCCB, Aerokit, PSE, Michelin PS2, my best lap time so far is 1:25 and a friend in a 997.1 GT3 who is a very good driver is doing 1:22 and he is also on Corsas.

So needless to say I am very happy with the C2S. With Corsa or CUP tyres and a remap I can see times dropping to 1:22-1:23 and the rest is then down to me improving my skill behind the wheel and braking a lot later.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:47 PM
breakdown
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I would like to get to a point where I can drive like the guys on Top Gear. They look like they have an absolute blast driving and sliding around the track. I guess they are usually testing stock cars so that is a plus.

Quick Reply: Stock C2S on the Track