Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How worried should I be about these metal flecks in my oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011 | 01:21 PM
McCulla
Pro

Default How worried should I be about these metal flecks in my oil filter?

I'm just fishing for opinions here. My 05 (M96 engine) just turned 40K miles. I've had it since about 24K and have changed oil every 2-2.5K mi. (Mobil-1, 0W-40). I always disassemble my filter and look at the pleats carefully for metal to try to stay ahead of the IMS issue and have seen none until today. 2 small (1mmX1mm), very thin, almost foil like flecks in the outside pleating. I realize there is probably no way to put a quantitative value on this, but does this finding prompt anyone to get really nervous? I don't remember reading any posts that say "when to run to the shop" based on the amount of metal found. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2011 | 01:47 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I would send a sample in for testing. There may be more contamination that is too small to see. Better safe than sorry.
Are you under warranty?
Old 09-10-2011 | 01:52 PM
McCulla
Pro

Yes, I have a warranty. Where do I send this stuff to for testing? Do I send the entire filter?
Old 09-10-2011 | 01:58 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by McCulla
Yes, I have a warranty. Where do I send this stuff to for testing? Do I send the entire filter?
I don't really know. Others might chime in later. If it were me I would ask the dealer for assistance. Where did you get the oil changed and did they point it out to you?
Old 09-10-2011 | 02:07 PM
McCulla
Pro

I've done my own oil changes since the '60s, including 5 911's. So, fortunately (or unfortunately) I got a first hand look this morning. Hopefully someone can jump in with a testing lab. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2011 | 02:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I do not know about metal flecks, but you can send oil for testing to Blackstone Labs.
Old 09-10-2011 | 02:10 PM
McCulla
Pro

Thanks ADias. I'll contact them to see if they want/do the filter as well.
Old 09-10-2011 | 06:55 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

I don'k know that oil analysis will tell you where the metal is from. Since you unfortunately (fortunately?)may have found the warning sign you have been looking for why not be proactive here? If you are going to keep the car you might consider having bearing/clutch service and borescope done now on this 05. You may be right to be concerned.
Old 09-10-2011 | 08:59 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Are they ferrous? Do they cling to a magnet ?
Old 09-11-2011 | 12:05 AM
McCulla
Pro

All good stuff, thanks. I'm going to run it across my indy shop tech. Coincidentally, I just had this conversation with him yesterday (I picked it up from his place after a 40K service) and told him I'd not found anything in the filters yet (spoke too soon). I didn't think to check the magnetic response. Next oil change. I'm with you, proactive is best.
Old 09-11-2011 | 12:42 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

You could pull the filter at an additional 500/1000 miles and inspect for metal particles. The filter is pretty cheap and as long as the oil is warm you can save a sample for analysis. Replace the oil that you lose taking out the filter. Maybe someone could indicate the amount of oil you'd expect to lose.

I'm sure that the IMS bearing failure process would be gradual enough to catch and remedy at another 5000 miles. Hopefully you are out a filter and that's it.
Old 09-11-2011 | 03:55 PM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Originally Posted by McCulla
I'm just fishing for opinions here. My 05 (M96 engine) just turned 40K miles. I've had it since about 24K and have changed oil every 2-2.5K mi. (Mobil-1, 0W-40). I always disassemble my filter and look at the pleats carefully for metal to try to stay ahead of the IMS issue and have seen none until today. 2 small (1mmX1mm), very thin, almost foil like flecks in the outside pleating. I realize there is probably no way to put a quantitative value on this, but does this finding prompt anyone to get really nervous? I don't remember reading any posts that say "when to run to the shop" based on the amount of metal found. Thanks.
See if they are ferrous. Ferrous = bearings, cams, etc and is more worrying than non-ferrous (cylinders, block).

It's common and not a big deal (but not ideal either) to have a little bit of non-ferrous flaking.

As for pending IMS failure, I would be more concerned to see bits of plastic/rubber which would indicate seal failure. If you're very close to an IMS failure there will be *lots* of chunks.

If you're concerned, you should drop the sump plate. It's a pretty easy job and then you could really check for bad chunks. See the Pelican photos for example :

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ft_Bearing.htm

Everyone doing oil changes should cut off the ends of the filter and fold it out flat to check for particles inside.
Old 09-11-2011 | 04:26 PM
McCulla
Pro

Thanks AYHSMB, I'll check the ferrous status soon. I'm going to follow the advice of an earlier reply and drop the filter in about 500 miles to look again. I would be comfortable pulling the sump as well. I appreciate all the good tips.
Old 09-11-2011 | 04:47 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

yep, send to blackstone labs. hopefully they will be able to tell you what (type) it is. also, get a magnetic drain plug. cheap and it may help collect metal bits for analysis.

stupid question for anyone but...does the oil pass thru the filter on the way to the engine or on the return trip? (it's embarrassing i dont know how this works )
Old 09-11-2011 | 09:12 PM
Taxi?
Instructor

McCulla, please take a look at the LN Engineering website for not only oil analysis but also IMS issues. They also sell the magnetic drain plug. FWIW, I recently had the IMS retrofit done on my MY-05 using LN Engineering parts at J&W Motorsports in Doral and the cost was about $1100, which is much cheaper than a new motor. PM me if you want more info.

Quick Reply: How worried should I be about these metal flecks in my oil filter?