Sponsored by:

A renewed appreciation!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:12 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
Default A renewed appreciation!

We all are very Jaded w/ our new Porsche's performance. I am a New Yorker, so Jaded is my middle name. haha
I haven't driven my 997.2 at all this month. This month consisted of being at the 2nd / vacation home every weekend. The weekend is really the only time I get some seat time. I would say, that I put a good 600 miles on the Targa clock this month, since it is kept @ the 2nd home. The Targa is an absolute blast to drive and is basically new or better than new, just given the simple mods it has (see sig). It is a great performer, let alone it's a 27 yr old classic. Now it's back to school, so we came home early from the 2nd home this wknd to prep for Tuesday, so I finally had the chance to take out the S. The first thing I noticed after 600 miles in the Targa, was that my mental shift pattern was all wrong. Reverse is in the opposite position as well as other gears. Then I had to adjust to the throttle mapping, that is enhanced by the sports chrono option. Once all was quickly sorted, it was go time. I took her on a great parkway run, that actually consists of great curves and straights. It leads up to Bear Mountain, just north of NYC. The response from the S was like I was riding a motorcycle. I rifled thru the gears @ high rpms and overall it is a world class performer. Also the fact that I have a 27 yr old Targa, that is still a great ride and solid as a rock, is testament to where our money really goes towards these cars. Imagine looking at an 84' Vette today. You would need a full rotisserie restoration, just to equate to my 84'. Imagine how stout the 997s will be 30 yrs from now! Hats off to Porsche!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

well lets all keep our fingers crossed that our 997's will last as the old ones like your targa. They do not build em like they used to they always say. quality changes just like old mercs and bmws. the qulity of the older times are just different. but hopefully our porsches have not given up durabilty for modern performances. like i said lets keep our fingers crossed. i actually had a nice chat with a german chap working at porsche yesterday and was asking if he thinks the 997.2's will go down the way of the 993's. he's plain answer...Porsche got it right with the 993. do not know if they could repeat that.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

As a past 87,92,94,99 vette owner...could afford Porsche back then....I know what you are saying about old Vette's and old Porsche's. Plus I've instructed at the track some students that have had 94 and a 98 Vette and they were really lose and falling apart.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:32 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
We all are very Jaded w/ our new Porsche's performance.
Read the latest Car and Driver? They tested a traditional bunch of fast cars and I kept thinking "Wow. Any of our Carreras would be out of sight of those boats in two laps." But the cars were quite nice. For every day ordinary cars.

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Hats off to Porsche!
To our not at all ordinary cars!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 275 Posts

I feel appreciative and lucky every day!!!!!!!

Tom
Old 09-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44

Tom

+1. I went for a nice Back roads drive with one of my daughters this afternoon. Nothing too spirited with the little one, 4 & 3/4, but fun for both of us. Sunroof open, windows down, and Darth Vader's "Imperial Death March" blasting.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:53 AM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44

Tom
Can't tell you how much I agree. It's the fundamental building block of happiness.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:19 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar experience over the weeken - I was in south florida for my father in law's birthday and rented a car - ended up with a camaro convertible.

Boy, am i happy to be taking my 911 to work this weekend early, with little traffic on the roads
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My little white mistress has lived up to my expectations totally!! When I return home from trips away the first thing I do is give her a pat on the bum and tell her to get ready for a little fun time on the back roads. Then I acknowledge the humans that are important to me. LOL!!

Quick Reply: A renewed appreciation!