Sponsored by:

A Flat Tire Saga

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:11 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
BTW - I went through my manual page after page looking for where it says to plug the in the air compressor or even use it to fill the tire. The manual describes how to use a sealant quite well. After not being able to locate it by searching - flat tire, air compressor, tire pressure etc etc, I looked up the cigarette lighter (only after reading it here after my first post where to plug it in). It says worded basically this way - do not plug anything into this except for the air compressor. What a way to advise owners where to plug in the air compressor. You've got to be kidding. Is there another place I didn't see?
Glad your "Saga" was only moderate - could have been a lot worse - ask me how I know.

As for compressor usage...

In the Practical Tips, Emergency Service section of the (997.2) manual it says:

"Flat Tire
13.Connect the compressor to the cigarette lighter..."

Probably should have a label on the compressor too - and maybe it does, but I don't feel like pulling it out to see. I do admit though that while in the "heat of the moment", it could be easy to plug into the wrong outlet.

Why AAA? Is your Porsche RA expired?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

I'm driving over the Toms River bridge in NJ going to Seaside Heights. TPMS red warning lights comes on and my rear passenger tire is losing air fast. I turn around and head back over the fairly long bridge. Tire pressure is going down fast. 20, 18 and I pull into the gas station just off the bridge. I fill up with 36lbs. and take off. I go about a mile or so and pull into another station. I fill up with 45 lbs and take off. I go a mile or two, pull next station. Air pump there is broken. I'm losing air fast. I take off. I'm down to 13 lbs and pull into parking lot. It's flat. OK, get my pump out, I hook up the air pump and turn it on. It goes on and off. Blown fuse. I change the 7.5 amp fuse. Call my wife, no answer. I turn on the pump, same thing happens. WTF! I call AAA. Put the top up, turn on the air and wait. I decide to up the amp fuse to a 15 amp fuse. I hook up the pump again and turn it on. AAA pulls in. The pump is now working. I pull it off the tire stem and AAA puts 50lbs in. He tells me drive it like a Porsche and you'll make it home and I do with 15 lbs left. I jack the car up, pull the tire off, pull the screw out, get my plug kit out i bought 2 months earlier at Harbor Freight on a hunch I might need it someday. I plug the hole and put 30 lbs in and it holds, no leak. Put the tire back on and let the jack down. Now I want to know why the fuse for the Porsche pump blows the fuse it is supposedly designed for? A long unexpected afternoon for sure.
A bigger concern is the integrity of the tire. Not from the plugging, but from driving underinflated. 13psi is woefully too low a pressure and the tire is almost certainly not safe.

When you pulled the tire off the wheel did a bunch of rubber dust come out? If so this is the inner walls of the tire rubbing against each other making contact with each other from insufficient air pressure. This rubs away the softer inner rubber surface which is the primary air containment layer.

My advice to you would be to replace the tire with a new one. Unfortunately if the pair is worn down enough the other worn but otherwise good rear tire will have to be replaced as well. Check the owners manual. I think the amount of wear permissible before the otherwise good tire is replaced along with the bad one is covered.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Glad your "Saga" was only moderate - could have been a lot worse - ask me how I know.

As for compressor usage...

In the Practical Tips, Emergency Service section of the (997.2) manual it says:

"Flat Tire
13.Connect the compressor to the cigarette lighter..."

Probably should have a label on the compressor too - and maybe it does, but I don't feel like pulling it out to see. I do admit though that while in the "heat of the moment", it could be easy to plug into the wrong outlet.

That is indeed the biggest issue I have with the compressor. There should be a sticker on it (its got plenty of room for one) indicating that it is to be plugged into the cig-lighter 12v source and not (big red x through it) into the passenger footwell outlet.

Having such critical information so badly translated and buried in a rather non-obvious part of the manuals is not helpful. I now carry a spare batch of 7.5A fuses in the passenger door just because Ive plugged it into the wrong outlet as well and blown the 7.5A fuse and could see myself doing so again by mistake.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

I went to my P dealership. The 2 service advisors had NO CLUE that the compressor should only be plugged into the cigarette lighter nor did anyone there i spoke to...sales or parts mgr. He gave me some 7.5 amp fuses to replace the blown ones for free. Thanks. More owners will do the same thing I did so go get some extra fuses for the day after you figure our what went wrong.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I went to my P dealership. The 2 service advisors had NO CLUE that the compressor should only be plugged into the cigarette lighter nor did anyone there i spoke to...sales or parts mgr. He gave me some 7.5 amp fuses to replace the blown ones for free. Thanks. More owners will do the same thing I did so go get some extra fuses for the day after you figure our what went wrong.
It's because none of those guys has ever bothered to read the manual for the 997.

Quick Reply: A Flat Tire Saga