Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra install and care?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011 | 09:44 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Default Clear Bra install and care?

Just had my windows tinted and a clear bra installed in my newly acquired 997.2 C4S. Instead of regular clear bra or modified bikini cut; install shop offered me a deal on a full front wrap that a customer had backed out of doing (they already had the material on hand) so I went with a full front end wrap (bumper, hood, fenders, and mirrors). Total cost $900 roughly including labor. Is this a good price or shall I say was it? Also how do you take care of the wrap from now onward? Was told no colored waxes, no abrasives, and to remove all stains inmmediately. Clear bra was by Xpel and they also gave me a small bottle of Xpel cleaner I think to use. Interested in any other experiences and/or thoughts/recomendations. Thanks Rob

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 12-22-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2011 | 09:57 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Wrap is looking good. You did not overpay. Weekly wash is a must if it is a DD. If not the dirt does find its way through the pores to discolor the bra over time. I use the Einzsett spray on wax immediately after the wash and then a drying towel to dry the car. A good sealant every four months or so would also help seal the pores so that it is somewhat impervious to dirt/dust. You got to be gentle with the bra as it has a tendency to swirl easily.
Old 09-02-2011 | 10:07 PM
aaks38
Racer

For a full wrap it sounds about right. I actually bought a 3m kit online and installed it myself. Very difficult job. Mine is a daily driver and i feel its a must on a new 911 as these cars are prone to stone chips.

I use zaino and have had no issues with it. My material is not porous so i do not have to use any special wax. The yellowing comes with the older clear bra materials 4-5 years ago due to outgassing, uv etc etc. So, I dont think you have anything to worry about. Just wax it like any normal car.
Old 09-02-2011 | 10:18 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

i have Xpel also. I use rejex on the car, but mine is not a dd so I don't have to deal with too many issues. I did, however, scratch my clear bra (got a small stone chip caught in my mf rag). Then I hazed the area around the scratches by messing around with denatured alcohol. Heat gun treatment made my errors disappear completely!

I think you paid a fair price.
Old 09-03-2011 | 02:40 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi Guys,

We have a new product available now (just released) that resists stains like nothing else. It's called XPEL Ultimate Paint Protection Film.

In this video you can see how this film resists staining. Sorry for the fact that the car in the film is an Audi.

http://www.xpel.com/media/video/r8_ultimate_test.wmv

Old 09-03-2011 | 03:35 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's a good price for a full frontal wrap.

l have been using carnauba on my clear bra and it seems to do a good job protecting against dirt. As already mentioned, clean any bug stains immediately otherwise it wilil quickly etch the bra.

Cleaning with a microfiber and quick detailer works well and I tend to clean after every drive. I have a clear bra on my DD as well and it gets washed maybe once a month. It's a couple of years old now and sits outside all year. Carnauba protects it but I can see etching and slight discoloration already. Still I would rather have the bra than paint damage.
Old 09-03-2011 | 06:35 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

I have three cars with the expel product. Two of them are "re-do" as they had 3 m on before. It was easy to tell the difference once the Xpel product was applied. plus the application itself was far more professional. I use their cleaner and polish as needed. Most of the time a clean cotton towel well soaked in water easily cleans the bugs off. Great product and great people.
Old 09-05-2011 | 11:31 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default XPEL Cleaner Use...

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Just had my windows tinted and a clear bra installed in my newly acquired 997.2 C4S. Instead of regular clear bra or modified bikini cut; install shop offered me a deal on a full front wrap that a customer had backed out of doing (they already had the material on hand) so I went with a full front end wrap (bumper, hood, fenders, and mirrors). Total cost $900 roughly including labor. Is this a good price or shall I say was it? Also how do you take care of the wrap from now onward? Was told no colored waxes, no abrasives, and to remove all stains inmmediately. Clear bra was by Xpel and they also gave me a small bottle of Xpel cleaner I think to use. Interested in any other experiences and/or thoughts/recomendations. Thanks Rob
The cleaner is a fantastic product. Make sure that you apply it to you car only when the surface is cold and wet. If you have been running the engine or the car has been in the hot sun you can damage the film. If XPEL Cleaner is applied to a cold wet surface, you will be very happy with the results.

For maintenace we have our XPEL Sealant that you can purchase at www.xpel.com. The sealant fills in any porous spots in the film and we recommend using it ever 4 to 6 weeks.

If you use a wax we recommend that you use a caranuba based wax. We suggest that you stay away from waxes that have petroleum distilates and NAPTHA as they can discolor a bra over time.
Old 09-05-2011 | 12:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

That is an unbelievable price on a full front xpel clear bra.

I need to have a talk with my installed....he charged me $1800 full front, mirrors and stone guards behind tires on wheel well.
Old 09-05-2011 | 01:18 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums

I need to have a talk with my installed....he charged me $1800 full front, mirrors and stone guards behind tires on wheel well.
Wow, my guy in Orlando could have saved you some $ and does a perfect job. He does all the bras for Ferrari of Orlando as well.
Old 09-05-2011 | 01:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I'm about 90 miles of Orlando.

I did not get my fenders done...it was my fault....but I want them done and scheduled an appointment for this Wednesday. Waiting for a quote and finally got one...$500 for both fenders...with new Xpel stuff...seems way way high to me.
Old 09-05-2011 | 03:59 PM
kosmo
Race Director

plexus does a good job of cleaning and protecting
Old 09-05-2011 | 06:21 PM
CHV
Instructor

I had Xpel done to the whole front of my 997.2S right after I purchased car new 11/09. Compared to my old M3 w/ 3M, Xpel is a very fragile product. It's probably doing a good job at protecting my paint but I would never buy Xpel again. It just scratches too easily and the installer cant make the scratches go away.

I've taken to using my leaf blower to dry the front end off because even a towel can scratch it -cool car washed in shade. I use the Xpel products to maintain the covering and think it'd be ruined w/o them. Perhaps its my black color that shows the products every flaw but my buddies 997.2 GT3 that's black w/ 3M on it seems to be a much better product.

Just my $0.02
Chuck
Old 09-05-2011 | 10:16 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Kosmo, that product will do fine as long as your car is not white, silver or some other light color. Otherwise Plexus will cause it to yellow over time. One of it's primary ingredients is naptha, which will cause the pores to expand over time and absorb more contaminants. These contaminants are what cause yellowing.

Chuck, sorry to hear you are having trouble with the film you have installed. Not sure which you have, since even back in 2008 we had 3 different film options to choose from. We had a low end option that was for short term use all the way up to a high end film with zero orange peel. Each of them behaved differently to common everyday use. It's similar to window tint...different grades for price point etc.

Our films today, however, are very different. As in the video, our top of the line film is not only impervious to contamination (which causes yellowing), it is self healing as well. This means even if it does get scratched, the film will heal itself back to normal in less than an hour.

Shoot me a PM and I will arrange to have your film warrantied for you with our new Ultimate film. You won't be disappointed.
Old 09-05-2011 | 10:39 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrums

Don't worry, that's still a LOT less than what Premier charges.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra install and care?