Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick: Need help picking 997 (2 car choices)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
Those aren't lobster claws on the '07
Sorry. I misread the OP and didn't look at the links. The wheels on the black car are really nice. I'm always in such a damn hurry anymore.....
Old 08-29-2011, 06:37 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My point in responding is to state that I ( my opinion ) find the cars to be overpriced. I'm overjoyed to see that the value is perceived to be there...overpriced or not...it speaks volumes for my 09C4S Launch Car...that said...whatever the market is showing...there's a chance that better pricing on new leftovers etc...will come about this fall...09 and newer. Perhaps more vehicles to choose from? There's no guarantee...just a hunch. Either way...enjoy the quest. Ron Servideo at Bert Smith in St. Petersburg Fl. is the manager...give him call and see whats going on. I have no interest in this...I buy from him and he's OK.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:48 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought an 05 C2S 4 weeks ago also, full leather , manual, sport package , seats, navigation,clear bra, 22 miles 45k cdn , bought from rennlist member in texas. Also immaculate.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:52 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Frontside720
I have decided to get a 997 and it will be my first Porsche. I have narrowed it down to two final cars and I would appreciate every ones experience on the value of each car.

I know (for sure) I want a C4S so please don't recommend a different vehicle all together.

Here are the options...
[...] I know they are both 997's but will saying that my car is a 2007 make the resale value better?

How much are those extra options worth?

I do prefer the black over the silver but I can make the silver work with some nice wheels.
Basic rule in Porsches and other high end cars: Unless the mileage difference is significant, always buy the newest one you can afford. The newer one of these two is also the one that looks better to you and that's sounds like a clincher to me. (Looks better to me too, but that doesn't matter.)

They're both S models, they both have the important features, I think. Let me note one possible difference. The 2007 has "adaptive suspension" in its description and the 2006 does not. That is a very important feature if you plan to use this car as a daily driver. We considered it a deal breaker two years ago and walked away from a car that didn't have that (called PASM) in favor of one that did.

But let's run down that list of differences:
  • Rear/Centre Console Carbon
  • 5mm Wheel Spacers
  • Carbon Package

Appearance items that add nothing to the resale value and can be added if they contribute to your personal enjoyment.
  • Sport Shifter
The short-shift conversion isn't terribly expensive. These are different dealers. Tell the guy at Loyalty that you want that bad (if you do) and get him to throw it in for materials cost, which I think is about U$500.
  • Park Assist System

Not worth much unless you do a lot of parallel or commercial garage parking and its contribution to resale value is probably zip.
  • CD Changer
  • Bose Sound

Personal taste. I have the sound, not the changer. People without the Bose sound say the basic system is fine. Audiophiles say the upgraded sound is still not good enough. My own attitude is ... well, kind of who cares. Didn't cost me much so I don't complain because I didn't buy the car to listen to the music. Not really a sports car strength, is it?
  • Heated

I suppose that was going to say "heated seats". Don't like them much myself and I lived in weather like yours for about four years without heated seats. My wife likes fleece seat pads if that helps. You have to judge how important that is in your area for resale value. I suspect a great many Porsche owners don't drive their cars in the seriously bad weather, so they won't care, but I'm just guessing. Again, your judgment, but personally I wouldn't let it influence my choice of cars. We live in a desert now and had to choose between this car and one that had a/c ventilated seats. That added maybe nine seconds total to the decision process that had us buying this one without that feature. Never regretted it.
  • Metallic Paint
  • 3M on Front End

Appearance item and a controversial "keep-the-appearance" item. If you like the look, you like the look. How they got it looking good isn't important. Metallic, mother-of-pearl underlay, or silicon-on-sapphire coat? Basically, who cares? Look at it and decide what you like.

The 3M might be important on your roads. Lots of people swear by such films. Personally, I find they make the finish look... well, subdued I guess, so I decided to stick with naked paint. Modern paint isn't as chip sensitive as the older stuff so I haven't had any annoying marks, even after two track days. In the resale market, I'm pretty sure it's a push or a slight drawback like most mods. That's here in Southern California though. Can't say what's popular where you live.

As for the prices, the differential sounds about right. I certainly see $5k worth of value in a car being a year newer. I can't check the build dates of course. They might be built only three months apart and even be sold that close together, yet still be 2006 and 2007. If that were the case, the lifetime would be effectively the same but you'd still be looking at a difference at resale value and that would be at least $5k for the next five years.

Overall prices... Can't say. Comparisons to C2S coupes have to take into account that cabriolets sell for an extra ten grand new and so do all-wheel-drive examples. Combining both features makes the MSRP about twenty thousand higher if I remember correctly. That's a big chunk of MSRP difference. Now figure depreciation of a least $5k a year and often $10k. Do all that in your head and you just get dizzy without learning anything. The bottom line is what it costs to buy the car you want today.

Personally, if I had the extra five thousand (or the payment difference), I wouldn't let that influence my choice here. It's about right for these two cars and even if it were not, your personal joy is the value you're purchasing. Don't stint that because someone's pencil disagrees.

Gary
Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with door number 2. And FYI, in the East Coast, those cars are not overpriced. Actually, here in NJ,. they are fairly priced.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:59 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaylG
I'm shocked at the price of both these cars. As a comparison, I bought my '06 C2S 4 weeks ago. Granted, it's a coupe but it has manual transmission, full leather, sport chrono, Bose high end, power seat package, etc., was absolutely immaculate and only had 11,600 miles. I paid $55,500 US dollars (54,279 Ca).
We are talking Canada vs. US. If one imports from US, you gotto pay 6.2% duty, plus 12% tax (or more), plus at least $1000-$2000 paperwork/shipping fee.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:09 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Hard to choose actually... a few things you need to consider.

1. Which is a Candian car? The black one is definitely imported from US, IF the Silver car is a Canadian car, I'd say definitely go for that one, as CND vs. US car is $5K premium right there.

2. When is the in-service date? If the 2006 in-service date is in '05, I'd make sure you verify it has the updated IMS

3. Grey interior is NOT as popular as black (for re-sale), albeit this one is two-toned, so make sure you like the Silver interior.

4. '07 aftermarket wheels could actually make it worth less. OEM Porsche wheels are $$ (unless those wheels are HRE or something like that).

5. The extra options of '06 are not that big of a deal... if both are US cars, 2006 in-serivce date is in '06, and that you do like Gray interior, then I'd say just GET THE ONE YOU LIKE BETTER!

Also, definitely bargain for both, I know CND prices are higher and the asking sounds about right, but you still need to negotiate at least a couple of grand off asking price.

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
i bought an 05 C2S 4 weeks ago also, full leather , manual, sport package , seats, navigation,clear bra, 22 miles 45k cdn , bought from rennlist member in texas. Also immaculate.
Just shows the state of US economy I guess! That's insanely cheap!

Rennlist members, PLEASE do NOT under-sell your cars...
Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Overall prices... Can't say. Comparisons to C2S coupes have to take into account that cabriolets sell for an extra ten grand new and so do all-wheel-drive examples. Combining both features makes the MSRP about twenty thousand higher if I remember correctly. That's a big chunk of MSRP difference. Now figure depreciation of a least $5k a year and often $10k. Do all that in your head and you just get dizzy without learning anything. The bottom line is what it costs to buy the car you want today.
Just for the hell of it, I used my car buying service to get some out-the-door-less-tax prices.

The basic coupe is U$74k right now. Go to an S and it adds eleven thousand, or U$85k. From there, a C2S Cab is another nine thousand over that price OR an all-wheel-drive C4S coupe is five thousand more. Add both features and you're looking at $100,200 out the door this week. A differential of U$15k.

That's for a new C4S Cab over a C2S Coupe, but the differentials are what you want to remember if you compare these two cars to a coupe anyone bought recently. Those are cars on the dealer's lot negotiated down from MSRP of course, not used cars. But differences like body type and drivetrain stick around for the life of a car in the resale market. Even with four- and five-year-old cars, the difference will still be at least ten thousand between an S coupe and C4S Cab.

Incidentally, if you're a music buff between runs through the gears, I'd swear I see a 6-CD changer installed in that 2007. Check the picture of the trunk.

Gary
Old 08-29-2011, 09:23 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

+1 Great advice, I bought my 06 C2 coupe with bose and navigation this summer in canada, only 18 000 km, 2 years CPO, mint condition for 65K CAN.

So at 70K for a nice C4S looks good to me...

Confirm the PPI and you're good to go!

Have fun, it is totally worth the money!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 221 Posts

A lot of good points and Facts listed throughout these posts.

Here is my two cents...your buying a Porsche which one could easily say is an emotional buy. As many others said.....buy the one you want the most.

If you want wheels I have a very nice set of Champion RS 98 Monolites that came off of my 2009 triple black C2S cab sitting in my basement with about 5 other sets of wheels.

Good luck, you will love whichever one you end up.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Frontside720
Advanced

WOW

Great information from everyone.

Thanks especially to Gary for the very detailed breakdown. Seems like the Porsche community is very supportive and I look forward to becoming a part of it.

Couple points...

1) Alexb76 - How do you know the black car is from the US? I was told it was a Canadian car, one owner and the guy traded it in for a Turbo. To import from the US we only pay the Ontario 13% tax and I can get it imported for $2500 shipped so when I search I'm checking all of Canada and the US.

2) The seats are powered. (for clarification only)

3) I will definitely do the PPI report. I'm not sure I will know how to read it but there is a great Porsche dealer in Toronto that should be able to help although they are pushers of their own cars. Understandable.

4) If I bought aftermarket wheels I would definitely keep the stock wheels. I'm just a fan of black on black or something a little different then stock.

5) Gary - when I was at Porsche Toronto the sales guy said you can add on anything for a price. I got the impression the console and sport shift were going to be crazy expensive but if it's manageable then it's can just get added to my to-do list.

Here's my current situation...

Just picked up an SUV from the us for my wife and should be here in 2 weeks. When that comes I will have her old 07 Escalade so I'm not stranded or rushed to buy a car. I just sold my truck so with that cash I can be a little impatient but I'm trying my best.

This is the part that may make many Porsche purist or owners alike cringe. My car will be a daily driver including the winter. We only get a few dumps here in Toronto and it never stays on the roads for more then a day or two. Those days I can drive the wife's car to work.

I also have 3 kids aged 4,3 & 5 months and I drive my 3 & 4 year old to school. I have done enough research to know that I can make the car seats work and I think my kids are just excited as I am. My daughter wants a car with no roof! lol

My thoughts were to just pull the trigger on one of these beautiful cars or drive the wifes truck until I find something that's a great deal. I just don't want to regret passing on one of these cars. If I find something in November I can store it until the spring and sell my wife's truck at that time. I will be tying up some money but I can make it work for a few months.

I know a Porsche isn't the best family car option and my brother says I suffer from a practicality disorder but life really is way too short!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:03 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Number 1. Better options, no meaningful difference between the mechanics of the two cars. Stone/black is either full leather or natural leather and is more interesting than black on black. Also, the 07 has the lobster claws - the 06's Sport Design wheels are much nicer.
People on the forums love to tell you to wait for a better deal..but like you said, find me one!
And it doesn't look the like the 07 has power seats.
Selo, those are Champion RF 67 wheels, priced at $5,500+ when new.

To the OP get #1 better options.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Car 1 and it already has nice wheels.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Black car is from the US - it has a MPH speedo. If the dealer is trying to tell it's a Canadian Car then run away. If they are lying to you in a such an obvious manner then I would not trust anything from them.

Personally you should consider buying in the US. Much more car selection and great prices. Since the car is assembled outside of the NAFTA region will need to pay 6.1% duty. You will also have to pay HST, but you will pay that on any car in Canada.

I imported a 2007 C4S in 2008 and also recently imported a motorcycle. Process is fairly simple (I imported both vehicles myself)

You should post on the Canada forum for feedback on both these dealers. There is also a member based in Hamilton who has a business helping people locate cars and importing them (can't remember his name, but he's a frequent poster)

Quick Reply: Quick: Need help picking 997 (2 car choices)