Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire replacement dilemma: What would you do ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by yossarian
Found this thread and have a quick question. Nail for me is three inches in front side. I think patching is fine but this would be used on the track. My alternative is to use new tires on a track day tomorrow. Seems like the first is a better idea but I know you know way more about this than me.

Thanks.
The tire maker should have guidelines regarding what damage can be tolerated and the tire repaired to return the tire to service wtih no compromise in the tire's integrity, ability to perform as good as before.

Generally -- though it depends upon the tire maker -- if the hole is small (1/4" or less) and in the tread and the tire is in otherwise servicable condition (driving the tire underinflated can ruin the tire even if the hole is repairable) -- the tire can be repaired.

IIRC the preferred method of repair is a patch which of course is applied with the tire removed from the wheel.

Now if the tire maker believes there is no acceptable repair that the tire is compromised by the hole then all you can do is replace the tire and perhaps the other tire on that end of the car as well if the undamaged tire has experienced 30% or more wear.

In one case both a damaged tire replaced and the other tire undamaged was also replaced at the same time and with only 15% wear. This was done by, and paid for, an insurance company. So even this 30% wear is variable. But IIRC Porsche says 30%.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:56 AM
yossarian
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
The tire maker should have guidelines regarding what damage can be tolerated and the tire repaired to return the tire to service wtih no compromise in the tire's integrity, ability to perform as good as before.

Generally -- though it depends upon the tire maker -- if the hole is small (1/4" or less) and in the tread and the tire is in otherwise servicable condition (driving the tire underinflated can ruin the tire even if the hole is repairable) -- the tire can be repaired.

IIRC the preferred method of repair is a patch which of course is applied with the tire removed from the wheel.

Now if the tire maker believes there is no acceptable repair that the tire is compromised by the hole then all you can do is replace the tire and perhaps the other tire on that end of the car as well if the undamaged tire has experienced 30% or more wear.

In one case both a damaged tire replaced and the other tire undamaged was also replaced at the same time and with only 15% wear. This was done by, and paid for, an insurance company. So even this 30% wear is variable. But IIRC Porsche says 30%.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks for the thoughts. The irony is that when we pulled the nail it was just a stub. Never even penetrated. That's a good leson for next time.

Blast of a day and I have to lost some track questionable later today on another thread.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 11:57 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE

1) Replace all 4 and have the other three handy for the future.

2) Replace just the rear two.

3) Any other suggestions ?
if fronts still have have 60%+ of tread left i would replace rears only.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:31 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

Quick update. Tire has been patched and has functioned flawlessly with 1200 miles of street driving. Dealer is giving me a new tire as part of the wheel and tire insurance so I would only have to spend for the one additional rear when it is time to replace. Thanks for all the input guys.

Quick Reply: Tire replacement dilemma: What would you do ?