Sponsored by:

2006 997s - Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:55 PM
current47
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 997s - Conversion?

Hi everyone. I have an 06 997s w/ 20k miles on it. I was thinking about trading it in and upgrading to the newer 911. Given the current trade in value, I am thinking about a RUF kompressor conversion for ~27k. As I have low miles, I think it might be better than shelling out for a new GTS. I live in NYC and have no idea where to get the conversion done.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 08-20-2011, 12:59 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by current47
Hi everyone. I have an 06 997s w/ 20k miles on it. I was thinking about trading it in and upgrading to the newer 911. Given the current trade in value, I am thinking about a RUF kompressor conversion for ~27k. As I have low miles, I think it might be better than shelling out for a new GTS. I live in NYC and have no idea where to get the conversion done.

http://www.rufauto.us/ruf/

You'll never recover the cost of the Ruf conversion if you're thinking of selling or trading in a few years.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:28 PM
911BE
AutoX

I agree with jhbrennan make sure this is what you really want and have the extra pocket change because you will never get your investment back for the conversion.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

A couple friends of mine did S/C conversions--one was with RUF. I would avoid doing that like the plague. If power is what you want just buy a Turbo.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:42 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

On the other hand, two people I know who have installed VF superchargers were very happy with the results. One guy installed it himself, and he isn't even a mechanic. But he is resourceful. There is one for sale on 6speed for $4500, which is a terrific buy. You can always remove it and sell it separately when you eventually sell the car. I think it is usually cheaper than the cost of changing cars.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM
current47
Intermediate

hmm... VF sounds like a really good option.. any recommendations on where to have this done in NYC area? how much would i expect to pay for the work..?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:48 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

I guy called blaktout on 6speedonline supercharged his 997. He had fun while it lasted. Even made a cover of Excellence. I don't know the details but I believe it ended poorly. Some people seem to enjoy the process, but I would say it's a costly bit of fun.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:38 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

hmm... VF sounds like a really good option.. any recommendations on where to have this done in NYC area? how much would i expect to pay for the work..?
I don't know the NYC area, but am attaching a link to the DIY thread done by "Justatoy" who purchased Blaktout's supercharger. After doing all he could with it, Justatoy (Stacy) removed it again with the intention of installing a turbo for comparison, but subsequently opted out of doing that. You might check with the VF folks for recommendations in the NYC area.
I took a ride in Justatoy's car when he had the SC in it, and it was amazingly strong (over 400 rear wheel hp). But it also ran like a normal car during normal driving conditions. I also know another guy in Victoria, BC who had Stacy install one in his 06 C4S cab a couple of years ago. He still loves it. Feel free to PM me if you want me to put you in touch with either of these guys for more info about their experiences.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

13K installed for the TPC turbo kit, 10K for the parts and 3K for labor. I love mine, it's very stock like if you don't step on it. If you step on it, it goes like hell, what is there not to like. 520hp is no joke.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:35 AM
current47
Intermediate

read a painful post on 6 speed with an 05 997s and TPC issues with his software. it scared the cr@p out of me. how long have you had it and what year is your p-car?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:49 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 911 is a vehicular Decathlete. It does so many things so well (well, unless you consider seating 4 adults in comfort in that Decathlon). Is the power really what you feel it lacks, or do you expect more power to make it a "better" car?

FWIW, I put an EVO SC on my '06 C4S. There were teething problems, but all in all it was faster, and reasonably reliable. But unless you like pressing the skinny pedal as a measure of "quality of car", don't spend $27K on 6 yr old P-car. There are better alternatives.

You haven't told us what you're really looking for....

the GTS is a superior package in almost any catagory, but you can get a clean '09 TT for only a little more than the bill your looking at and I guarantee it will be a more coherent/reliable package. None of these aftermarket guys can match Porsche's engineering.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:24 AM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

read a painful post on 6 speed with an 05 997s and TPC issues with his software. it scared the cr@p out of me. how long have you had it and what year is your p-car?
Had nothing to do w/the software it was an issue with the car. Have since done multiple 05s. Happy to answer any questions you have.

Casey

Email: info@tpcracing.com
Phone: (410)799-7223
Facebook | Youtube
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2021 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2006 Grand Am Rolex 24hr of Daytona GT Winner

Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

new gts is in all ways much better deal than to alter stock motor. if you feel you afford gts - get it, you will not regret it.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I don't know the NYC area, but am attaching a link to the DIY thread done by "Justatoy" who purchased Blaktout's supercharger. After doing all he could with it, Justatoy (Stacy) removed it again with the intention of installing a turbo for comparison, but subsequently opted out of doing that. You might check with the VF folks for recommendations in the NYC area.
I took a ride in Justatoy's car when he had the SC in it, and it was amazingly strong (over 400 rear wheel hp). But it also ran like a normal car during normal driving conditions. I also know another guy in Victoria, BC who had Stacy install one in his 06 C4S cab a couple of years ago. He still loves it. Feel free to PM me if you want me to put you in touch with either of these guys for more info about their experiences.
still i would add - FI solution on a stock engine may or may not last long, you loose any warranty and any support from dealer if your motor goes kaboom. and in quite significant percentage of cases it does go kaboom.
there are plenty on 997.1 street cars with turbo and super chargers, seems like if it was installed well and car is not abused it will work just fine. i also saw a used charger for sale recently for $4.5K i think here in commercial section.

Quick Reply: 2006 997s - Conversion?