Sponsored by:

Rear air deflectors - need help sourcing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:39 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear air deflectors - need help sourcing replacement

I manged to loose my passenger air deflector, the rubber strip that sits in front of the rear wheels.

I went into the local dealership and they ordered me a new one. There was only one part number for a 2007 997. The part looked different on the computer but they insisted that there was only one part number for all the versions. Picked up the part and it's not just the rubber strip, its a plastic housing as well. I doubted it would fit but took a matching pair anyway. They said the part I wanted had been superseeded with this one. Sure enough I've just tried fitting it and there is no way it'll fit. The redesigned peice doesn't have a separate rubber lip, it's all molded into a large single plastic part that is screwed onto the body. I partially undid the side skirts thinking it may be designed to fit underneath them but that wasn't working either. The original rubber strip fits into slots in this side skirt.

The part numbers I picked up are:

997-504-393-02-01C-1009 and
997-504-394-02-01C-1009

These parts may fit some models but not my 4S with standard side skirts.

Does anyone have access to a parts catalogue and see if there is a part number for the rubber strip for me?

Original rubber air deflector:

After it had been ripped out:

Replacement item, underside view:

Replacement item, side view:

I lost the rubber strip because I was following a car along a motorway a reasonable 2 seconds behind at 60mph. The car drove over what I thought was a peice of paper and it flicked up into the air, must have been about 3'x2', flat for 2/3 then the last 1/3 angled up at 30 degrees. As it fell back to the road it didn't crumple, it was then that I realized it was a sheet of aluminium! Only had chance for a well chosen expletive before hitting it, no time to double check blind spots and of course there was someone up my a*** so I couldn't slam on the brakes. Fortunatly it settled flat on the road but the turned up section scraped under the front of the car, various bangs and thumps as it passed under the car and then got spat out behind the passenger wheel with the rubber strip bouncing down the road after it. Very lucky.

Last edited by FiatCoupe; 08-14-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:07 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

why hassle, just get them to find the right one
Old 08-14-2011, 11:01 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

It looks like they gave you the part that sits behind the rear wheels, rather than the part in front of the rear wheels.

Sorry, but I can not find your missing part in the PET.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:06 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

That part looks exactly like the part for my 2005 C2. I suspect the C4 is different and they didn't look properly for the C4 part. Tell them to look again under C4.

Coincidentally, I need to replace one of those on my car. I've been procrastinating. Can you tell me what the price is for one of those puppies?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:21 AM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are $47 cost or $77 without any discount to the customer.

Quick Reply: Rear air deflectors - need help sourcing replacement