Sponsored by:

PDK Shifting Technique

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 11:51 PM
Paul Krol
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
In Auto (D) mode yes, but you can drive it as a sequential in M mode and shift at will. I only use PDK Normal in town in M mode.
I am noticing that sometimes when in D 1st gear Will rev and between 2600-3000 the digital screen says it switched to 2nd while the rpm climb a second longer and then I see the rpm drop with the actual shift.. is this normal is this just the prestarting of second gear?
Old 05-20-2020, 04:08 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

To get back to the original question... Since I drive a PDK here is my experience. The car is not like a manual with control or an automatic. It has 2 complete clutches, one driving the odd gear shaft and one the even gear shaft. The car doesn't shift into gear, it pre-stages the shift and trades the clutches. It does this for both up and down shifts. When downshifting, it blips the throttle to rev match while pre-staging the shift and trades the clutch at the match then dethrottles while it's pre-staging the next shift. On up shifts, it prestages the shift and trades the clutch under power. There is a slight jerk of the car under full power, but the drive line is built to take it. Further, you are not bringing the flywheel from 7K RPM to zero, and the wet clutch packs do provide the slip necessary to prevent the instantaneous shock to the gears. The clutches trade sides electronically in milliseconds, but mechanically there is still some give. Thats how the car can perform lanuch mode and not break anything.

Stop worrying. It's a brick house!

Quick Reply: PDK Shifting Technique