Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lightweight batteries

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

been researching this. fellow listers pointed out that dekka makes braille batteries. you can get the same 11.5lb battery without the carbon case for about $75.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 PM
überschnell
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'd love to have one of the lithium pack batteries, especially the Porsche model, as freezing weather starting is a near non-issue where I live. I'm just trying to come up with a good story to sell my wife on why I need to spend $3K on a car battery. Got any good ideas?
Yep--don't buy the Porsche battery. It's horrendously overpriced for what you get. They don't even have battery management...which is very important for longevity and safety with LiFePO4.

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
I have been flirting with the Voltphreaks Li-ion battery
vph 750 $1299
it has electronics which make it look like a lead acid battery from the car's side, also a low voltage cut-off
I'm gonna suggest taking a look at the L680. That should work for any of the DDs you guys have, from a 914 all the way to the new RS4.0.

Alright, no more shameless plugs in this thread for me. I will just say that I'd put our batteries against any listed here, including the OEM Porsche and the top-of-the-line Braille. Some company's ratings do NOT hold up when you throw the current to them...I have no doubt that we'd embarass the competition.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by überschnell
Alright, no more shameless plugs in this thread for me. I will just say that I'd put our batteries against any listed here, including the OEM Porsche and the top-of-the-line Braille. Some company's ratings do NOT hold up when you throw the current to them...I have no doubt that we'd embarass the competition.
Just realized with your post that you sold batteries. Duh. Thanks for the info and will keep your product in mind when the time for a new battery comes around.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:24 AM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is L680 same form factor as the stock battery tray ?
Old 07-30-2011, 08:45 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JW911
You asked about seat of the pants. That answer is simple. Does your car feel faster when you have 3/4 of a tank of gas than it does when the tank is full?

You will never in a million years be able to detect a difference. The only way dropping 15 pounds will make any difference is if you do it many times over with different areas to cut weight, and it all adds up to 100+ pounds. Anything less and you are just fooling yourself.
15 lbs...no of course not. But the battery diff is 40 + lbs way up and almost directly over the roll axis of the front axle. Depends on how fast you drive and what your experience is. But, it made a more detectable diff in the Spyder.

1/2 tank of gas???? Your a$$ must be numb not to feel the difference! Even 3/4 vs. full unless it is gradual.

Drive faster and listen to the car, it will talk to you
Old 07-30-2011, 08:51 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by überschnell
Yep--don't buy the Porsche battery. It's horrendously overpriced for what you get. They don't even have battery management...which is very important for longevity and safety with LiFePO4.

I'm gonna suggest taking a look at the L680. That should work for any of the DDs you guys have, from a 914 all the way to the new RS4.0.

Hell, no. Wish I had known of you! I ordered a Voltphreaks first and they said 1 wk. Called 10 days later and it was still awaiting production. Called Braille and had my battery in 3 days

Maybe Braille is made in China and costs $.50 if someone here says so, but it is a great battery. In my GTS and Spyder it threw a couple of codes with PASM and the swinging headlights but they self cleared, so no need for unlock codes after the change.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 AM
springgeyser
Racer

If you are thinking of using a braille 11.5# for DD....DON't. I was left stranded in front of my kid's daycare, a gas station multiple times when the weather got a bit colder. The topping is the gas attendant stated "Nice car" as he helped me push my car.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:38 PM
überschnell
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avader906
Is L680 same form factor as the stock battery tray ?
No, it's very small. About the size of the Odyssey PC680 or XS Power S680. It can most likely be laid flat in the space the stock battery occupies...but I don't know what car you have, thus I don't have your OE battery's group number.

Quick Reply: lightweight batteries