Sponsored by:

CPO & Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:58 AM
911SSSS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO & Tires

Took the 07S in for an independent inspection due to a wobble at 70 mph. The wobble is coming from the tires and the rear is down to 4/32. Question for the forum, since the Michelin SS are not N rated and may not come out in the 295 series anyway, which of the N rated tires do you recommend? Am thinking either the ps2 or the p zero.
Online the prirelli rosso have two N rated tires out there, N1 and N2. What I read on tire track says the number denotes the series, meaning the N2 is the third update after the n0, n1. Both n1 and n2 are available at the same price so N2 sounds like the way to go.
Also, called the dealership as i thought one of the guarantees of a CPO car is that it would have minimum tread depth at purchase? After a week still no reply. I realize tires aren't covered under CPO but not sure that should have passed inspection.
Would like your input on that as well.
Thanks!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SSSS
Took the 07S in for an independent inspection due to a wobble at 70 mph. The wobble is coming from the tires and the rear is down to 4/32. Question for the forum, since the Michelin SS are not N rated and may not come out in the 295 series anyway, which of the N rated tires do you recommend? Am thinking either the ps2 or the p zero.
Online the prirelli rosso have two N rated tires out there, N1 and N2. What I read on tire track says the number denotes the series, meaning the N2 is the third update after the n0, n1. Both n1 and n2 are available at the same price so N2 sounds like the way to go.
Also, called the dealership as i thought one of the guarantees of a CPO car is that it would have minimum tread depth at purchase? After a week still no reply. I realize tires aren't covered under CPO but not sure that should have passed inspection.
Would like your input on that as well.
Thanks!
Do you have the CPO checklist they should have given you? It has the tread depth minimums and what they measured. There is a minimum of course but I don't recall what that is.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:06 AM
911SSSS
Track Day

hmmm, didn't get a cpo checklist, sounds like I may have to make a call to Porsche.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:07 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What tires are on the car now? You may just need to replace the rears, with a matching pair.

The Super Sports are getting good review here on Rennlist.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:12 AM
911SSSS
Track Day

The Perrili p Zero Rosso, i was thinking the same, just replace the rears until the N rating on the Super Sports get settled.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^That's what I'd do if the fronts are in good shape. Fronts can last about 2X the rears. Check the front code dates. They are probably about 4 years old. Replace if over 5 years old. Maybe dismount, flip sides, and rebalance when doing the rears. Alignment may be a good step too.

If the Super Sports turn out to be a high qaulity tire, the "N" rating is not critical. There are many great un-N rated tires out there.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:19 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Default From the Porsche website

What Checks has an Approved Porsche Passed?

Fitting of Genuine Porsche Parts, replacing all non-Porsche parts and accessories

A comprehensive 111 point mechanical inspection to ensure every component is fully functional
Electrical functionality and battery condition check
The fitment of ‘N’ rated tyres which are approved by Porsche.
Tyres must have a minimum remaining tread depth of 3mm
A full service will be carried out along with all routine maintenance due within the next 3,000 miles or three months
Complete valet and final inspection
12 months MOT (where required)
These are the minimum standards for a Porsche to become Porsche Approved but every car is treated individually when it is being restored to its original condition.

Trending Topics

Old 07-24-2011, 10:22 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
^That's what I'd do if the fronts are in good shape. Fronts can last about 2X the rears. Check the front code dates. They are probably about 4 years old. Replace if over 5 years old. Maybe dismount, flip sides, and rebalance when doing the rears. Alignment may be a good step too.

If the Super Sports turn out to be a high qaulity tire, the "N" rating is not critical. There are many great un-N rated tires out there.
+1....but if you want the Super Sports don't think you have to have N rated tires....I've been running N rated at the track forever no issues and for the last year on the street no issues...on both my Carrera S and Cayenne S.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:30 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the rears last only half as long as the fronts, you probably need two rears that match the existing fronts(same type of tire). Have a good shop mount,balance and see if you need 4 wheel alignment to preserve your investment in your tires. Next time you can get all 4 new in whatever brand you want. I got 4 mich PSS to replace PS2. Does this make sense to most other Rennlisters? Of course you can accelerate the process as I did by doing some DE events and now the new tires will be back out one more time this summer early Sept in the NW.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 AM
PaulLA
Track Day

Dealer told me that brakes and tires needed to be 50% or better to qualify for CPO, along with and oil and filter change. Tires have to be matching N rated sets.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:51 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

According to my CPO checklist (could be out of date as it is from 2007) the minimum tread depth allowed is 4mm. Convert that to inches and it is 5/32.

I would be all over that dealer if I were you. No way you should be forced to shell out for new tires on a newly purchased car from a dealer. Even without the CPO, you should have no wobble and some reasonable service life. With the CPO, you should be guaranteed 5/32 tread depth. They should have replaced those tires. From my CPO checklist: "All four tires must be of the same brand, model, speed rating, specification code, and age. If the tread depth is less than four (4mm) the tire(s) must be replaced with OEM tires as outlined in the current Porsche Tire Bulletin."
Old 07-25-2011, 12:51 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hmmm, didn't get a cpo checklist, sounds like I may have to make a call to Porsche.
you shouldnt have to call P. Your dealer should handle everything. 4/32 is BS and Dealer is know it. They need to correct it esp if they want your biz.

Separately each state has minimum thread requirements on used cars.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:44 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the CPO checklist the c4s I bought had 2 mm tread at 16k miles on the rears and so were replaced by new PS2s. 305/30/19. The fronts still had enough tread life and so were not changed. Just got new Mich PSS all around . 5 DE events and some Porsche club trips accelerated the process.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 AM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Question for the forum, since the Michelin SS are not N rated and may not come out in the 295 series anyway, which of the N rated tires do you recommend?
Pilot Super Sports are available in 295/30ZR19XL with a 100Y load rating.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
According to my CPO checklist (could be out of date as it is from 2007) the minimum tread depth allowed is 4mm. Convert that to inches and it is 5/32.

I would be all over that dealer if I were you. No way you should be forced to shell out for new tires on a newly purchased car from a dealer. Even without the CPO, you should have no wobble and some reasonable service life. With the CPO, you should be guaranteed 5/32 tread depth. They should have replaced those tires. From my CPO checklist: "All four tires must be of the same brand, model, speed rating, specification code, and age. If the tread depth is less than four (4mm) the tire(s) must be replaced with OEM tires as outlined in the current Porsche Tire Bulletin."
My CPO checklist for tires is nearly identical except "...must be replaced with specified N-Rated tires." This was when I bought it 11/20/2009.

Quick Reply: CPO & Tires