Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   cocoa interior (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/644974-cocoa-interior.html)

mulepacker 07-18-2011 11:20 PM

cocoa interior

I'm in the process of selecting the options/colors for a new vehicle and have been somewhat intrigued by the Silver/Cocoa combination. However, I wonder if one would easily get tired of the combination? The reason I ask is if it's such a desirable combination, why are there so few used silver/cocoa combinations for sale, both on dealer lots and used? I would love to hear from someone who currently or previously owned the cocoa interior. Would you or did you purchase it again?

Also, I see now that Porsche offers an Espresso labeled color rather then Cocoa. Can anyone describe the difference between the two colors?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Edgy01 07-19-2011 12:06 AM

I recall two different cocoas. One is a cocoa natural leather, the other is the painted on one that looks like a couch you would find in an attorney's office.

Many who order cars (dealer's sales guys) order very conservatively. Silver over black. Cocoa looks really nice if it's the natural version. The other one looks a bit fake to me.

Have not seen the Espresso for a 911 yet.

Charlie C 07-19-2011 12:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mulepacker (Post 8723096)
I'm in the process of selecting the options/colors for a new vehicle and have been somewhat intrigued by the Silver/Cocoa combination. However, I wonder if one would easily get tired of the combination? The reason I ask is if it's such a desirable combination, why are there so few used silver/cocoa combinations for sale, both on dealer lots and used? I would love to hear from someone who currently or previously owned the cocoa interior. Would you or did you purchase it again?

Also, I see now that Porsche offers an Espresso labeled color rather then Cocoa. Can anyone describe the difference between the two colors?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

One of my P cars is an 2004 Anniversary Model Boxster S with GT Silver exterior and Cocoa Interior and Roof. I LOVE it! It's very rich looking and I would definitely do it again. I was unsure before I got it but I like it SO MUCH more than plain black.

I've included 2 photos I took to show someone a few years ago. The quality of the photos is terrible but hopefully you'll get the idea.

krysFly 07-19-2011 12:21 AM

I specifically looked for silver/cocoa combo. The cocoa I have came with a almost full carbon fiber interior which makes it just great.
The combination of the elegant brown with the ultra modern cf is very special (to me at least)

In time if you get used to cocoa (or any other interior color) you can always spruce it up with cf or other accents.

Mike in CA 07-19-2011 12:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have Arctic Silver/Cocoa and absolutely love it. I also had it in a Boxster S that I owned for a couple of years. I think it is a beautiful combo and I have never regretted getting it. Had some trouble with getting a decent color representation with the silver and darker interior together, so the pics really don't do it justice. BTW, Espresso is a shade or two darker than Cocoa, but would also look good with Silver, IMO.

Edit: I don't know if it's just the photos, but the cocoa in post 3 looks quite a bit darker than mine.

Mspeedster 07-19-2011 12:25 AM

I have a Basalt Black exterior and Cocoa interior. I have to say owning the car for several years that I have not grown tired of Cocoa. If anything, I've grown to love my Cocoa interior even more. Black and Silver are pretty common exterior colors, so having a Cocoa interior makes my 911 feel a bit more special to me. I've not seen the Espresso, not sure how it's different.

Carrara 07-19-2011 12:27 AM

If you do leather to sample you can get cocoa, but besides that, Porsche doesn't have cocoa for any of it's current cars. It's been replaced by, as you said, Espresso. Cocoa is my favorite interior colour, and in my opinion, espresso is hideous. It's lighter, and very de-saturated.

http://images.gtcarlot.com/gtgallery...hp?id=42086235

http://images.gtcarlot.com/gtgallery...hp?id=42086219

Espresso is nothing like cocoa at all. Cocoa is absolutely gorgeous, espresso, not so much.

kosmo 07-19-2011 12:34 AM

just saw a silver/cocoa GTS at the local dealer this weekend. Looked great.

Mike in CA 07-19-2011 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Carrara (Post 8723292)
Cocoa is my favorite interior colour, and in my opinion, espresso is hideous. It's lighter, and very de-saturated.

Are you sure? I'm almost certain Espresso is darker than Cocoa. I've seen it in the two tone Cayenne interior, and it's very dark.

alexb76 07-19-2011 12:38 AM

It all depends which look you wanna go for... luxury, Cocoa is great, however if you're for a sporty look, I'd stay away!

iowaporsche 07-19-2011 12:39 AM

Cocoa is an excellent color. I would get deviated black carpet though as the cocoa carpet has an off maroon color to it.

alexb76 07-19-2011 12:44 AM

Hmm, it's funny, the pics posted here just doesn't inspire sportiness... it sure looks great on Panamera and oozes luxury, but honestly (no flame pls), it looks out of place in 911 IMO (and that is ONLY MY 0.2).

krysFly 07-19-2011 12:47 PM

I'll post pics of my cocoa with carbon fiber, I think its very sporty with a touch of elegance

Mike in CA 07-19-2011 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by krysFly (Post 8724356)
I'll post pics of my cocoa with carbon fiber, I think its very sporty with a touch of elegance

I agree. My CF is limited to the backs of the sport buckets but I like the contrast with the cocoa. The belts, when in place, add a touch of sportiness too. ;)

krysFly 07-19-2011 01:12 PM

wow, those seats would complete my look!;);)

alexb76 07-19-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 8724400)
I agree. My CF is limited to the backs of the sport buckets but I like the contrast with the cocoa. The belts, when in place, add a touch of sportiness too. ;)

GREAT seats, only reason the Cocoa looks sporty! :)

My boss just bought a C2S Cocoa car, and it was HEAVILY discounted because of the interior. It sure is unique.

Mike in CA 07-19-2011 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by alexb76 (Post 8724676)
GREAT seats, only reason the Cocoa looks sporty! :)

My boss just bought a C2S Cocoa car, and it was HEAVILY discounted because of the interior. It sure is unique.

Alex, thanks for the compliment (I think). Interesting that your boss would tell you that his car was "HEAVILY" discounted because of the interior he chose and apparently likes. Whatever. So what color combo do you think is super sporty? From your avatar: grey over black, grey over grey? :rolleyes:

RennlistTomE 07-19-2011 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by alexb76 (Post 8723318)
It all depends which look you wanna go for... luxury, Cocoa is great, however if you're for a sporty look, I'd stay away!

I'm not sure I'd say 'stay away' if you're looking for sporty, but the Cocoa definitely skews toward 'luxury'.

After a lot of years driving sports cars, I'd never have considered a cocoa leather interior. Black only.
..........Short-sighted thinking, at best.
Have the GT Silver / Cocoa now. It's just stunning. Love it every time I open the door.
As far as the sporty component, I'd have it on a silver, white or possibly even a black GTS in a New York second.

alexb76 07-19-2011 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 8724708)
Alex, thanks for the compliment (I think). Interesting that your boss would tell you that his car was "HEAVILY" discounted because of the interior he chose and apparently likes. Whatever. So what color combo do you think is super sporty? From your avatar: grey over black, grey over grey? :rolleyes:

Well, we're also friends too from Delloite days... he was searching for a car as got jealous when he saw my car! :) so I had to provide input to his research. Funny enough, he's also got the bucket seats in Cocoa, similar to yours, just with white exterior.

Your car looks great man, it's very very unique, and hence not to everyone's liking. Yup, my car's Grey over black... with Alcantara. Looks great IMO, maybe boring for some but definitely sporty looking even if I miss the bucket seats!

ADias 07-19-2011 03:06 PM

Silver and Cocoa is a great combination. In the current configurator there's now an Expresso Natural Leather that should be quite nice too.

ADias 07-19-2011 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by alexb76 (Post 8723326)
Hmm, it's funny, the pics posted here just doesn't inspire sportiness... it sure looks great on Panamera and oozes luxury, but honestly (no flame pls), it looks out of place in 911 IMO (and that is ONLY MY 0.2).

You drop the bomb and... expect no flames?

What's not sporty about Cocoa? Classic British roadsters had dark or brown interiors and they were quite sporty... Black is your generic interior... what's sporty about it?

alexb76 07-19-2011 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by ADias (Post 8724802)
You drop the bomb and... expect no flames?

What's not sporty about Cocoa? Classic British roadsters had dark or brown interiors and they were quite sporty... Black is your generic interior... what's sporty about it?

LOL, fair enough! :)

Well, it looks like a sofa and IMO (i.e. In My Opinion) it does NOT look sporty but luxurious. Black is the natural interior color of all race cars, and sure is sporty, specially if it's Alcantara interior (look at GT3, GT2, etc...).

As I said, I think it looks fantastic and very very unique, and if I ordered a Panamera that'd be my #1 interior choice.

krysFly 07-19-2011 03:30 PM

+1, come on, grey and black more sporty? right.

ADias 07-19-2011 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by alexb76 (Post 8724855)

Well, it looks like a sofa and IMO (i.e. In My Opinion) it does NOT look sporty but luxurious. Black is the natural interior color of all race cars, and sure is sporty, specially if it's Alcantara interior (look at GT3, GT2, etc...).

As I said, I think it looks fantastic and very very unique, and if I ordered a Panamera that'd be my #1 interior choice.

GT2 RS - is that not sporty?

http://www.automobilesreview.com/img...-gt2-rs-01.jpg

Mspeedster 07-19-2011 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by alexb76 (Post 8724855)

Porsche disagrees with you...

Porsche 918 RSR

http://www.fitpitstop.com/wp-content...R-Interior.jpg

krysFly 07-19-2011 06:27 PM

looks just like mine except all the "sporty" stuff:thumbup:

RennlistTomE 07-19-2011 07:15 PM

The 918 RSR is more espresso than cocoa.
Espresso goes much better with that particle accelerator in the passenger footwell.
Therefore, cocoa is still not sporty.
And the configurator automatically deletes two pistons if you add cocoa to Adias' GT2.
No matter how unique - somewhat, very, extremely, or even otherworldly - you just cannot get around the fact of it's unsportyness.

krysFly 07-19-2011 07:38 PM

or your ignorance

Mike in CA 07-19-2011 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by RennlistTomE (Post 8725553)
The 918 RSR is more espresso than cocoa.
Espresso goes much better with that particle accelerator in the passenger footwell.
Therefore, cocoa is still not sporty.
And the configurator automatically deletes two pistons if you add cocoa to Adias' GT2.
No matter how unique - somewhat, very, extremely, or even otherworldly - you just cannot get around the fact of it's unsportyness.

He said, tongue firmly in cheek......;)

Canyon56 07-20-2011 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by RennlistTomE (Post 8724727)
Have the GT Silver / Cocoa now. It's just stunning. Love it every time I open the door.

Luxury? Sporty? They can mean different things to different people in different corners of the planet. Who really cares in the end.

A couple of years ago I almost bought a GT Silver on Cocoa 997TT with very low miles from a local dealership. But I waited a bit too long and somebody beat me to it. I still regret not jumping on it sooner. It's a truly super color combo, imho. Luxurious? Sporty? Meh. All that mattered to me was that the combo looked great and was a real match together (GT Silver is slightly warm.)

yemenmocha 07-20-2011 11:44 AM

I love cocoa.

The explanation is this:

1. Black sells better/faster and appeals to a wider audience, so dealers spec that one more.
2. Cocoa costs $3k+ more (or at least it did on the 997.1), so this with #1 makes it a tough sell for dealer cars to sit on the lot.

I'd wager a high percentage of Cocoa interior cars were ordered, compared to black or sand beige.

Mikli 07-20-2011 12:02 PM

I have a GT Silver / Cocoa and I love it!!

krysFly 07-20-2011 12:15 PM

:biggulp:

Edwin Seijsener 12-24-2018 10:02 AM

2009 Artic Silver Cayman S with cacao interior

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2131b589a8.jpg

Edwin Seijsener 12-24-2018 10:05 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...838f651f1a.jpg
Arctic Silver Cayman S in Woudrichem
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a5610e8b42.jpg
With Porsche color code cacao interior

kellen 12-24-2018 04:30 PM

This is a 7 year old thread FYI.

Racetwin2 12-24-2018 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
997.1 C2S cab. Carrara white and full leather cocoa including cocoa cabrio top

TommyV44 12-25-2018 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Racetwin2 (Post 15519329)

Let's see pics of the outside with that top!!!!

Tom

Racetwin2 12-25-2018 11:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Let's see pics of the outside with that top!!!!

Tom

Here are a few pics. The top sometimes look black in certain lights. The Vette C7 Stingray is my brothers :)

Edwin Seijsener 12-30-2018 09:49 AM

Thank you Kellen,
appreciate your message,
I realize it is an rather old thread, but I do think this cacao interior is "timeless"
Happy new year with many save miles:cheers:
Eddy

tomc_mets 12-30-2018 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Racetwin2

Heck yeah! Gorgeous!
T

Basaltblackmetal 02-24-2023 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mspeedster (Post 8723284)
I have a Basalt Black exterior and Cocoa interior. I have to say owning the car for several years that I have not grown tired of Cocoa. If anything, I've grown to love my Cocoa interior even more. Black and Silver are pretty common exterior colors, so having a Cocoa interior makes my 911 feel a bit more special to me. I've not seen the Espresso, not sure how it's different.

I have a Basalt Black ext and cocoa interior as well. I was told this combo is quite rare. I think we have the same car, or maybe I own the car u used to own. LOL. Mine is a 2006 997.1 C2S. I'm curious if you have done any mods to the interior. I always get tempted but find it hard when the interior is not black. I.e., red seat belts, upgraded steering wheel (usually black), or shifter that sometimes is brown but usually not the same shade.

Edwin Seijsener 02-24-2023 03:52 AM

Hi Basaltblackmetal;yes cocoa interior is beautiful but easy to upgrade, during the production periode there were small color changes so I have never deared.
Enjoy your car and drive safe, mine was a Porsche Cayman btw.