Sponsored by:

Poll: How I Feel about the Back Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:02 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Poll: How I Feel about the Back Seats

This occurred to me while reading the GTS thread, but it's enough of a separate topic to justify its own thread. Actually, I'm going to make it a poll if I can figure out the forum software.

(Okay. First time, I got it wrong. One more try.)

(Nope. Didn't work. We should publish a manual. Here's the options for your pleasure. Or in case someone knows how to add the poll feature after my post:

1. We need a back seat for our pre-teen offspring.
2. We have very small clients we put back there.
3. Folding seats are a real convenience in a car used for Grand Touring *** Daily Driver.
4. Porsche=Sports Car; Sports Car=Lightweight.
5. The roll bar makes it impossible to keep and feed a rear seat properly.
)

Those are the positions on a back seat that occurred to me. (Feel free to complain if I left out your own view. A representative will be with you in a moment. Please hold.)

Personally, we're retired. And pretty well-worn examples of that breed to boot. Too old to have kids that fit back there, and no more clients to please either. Even my five-foot/100-lb wife isn't as nimble as she used to be, so I wouldn't let her try, even just to say she had. One visiting couple wanted a ride to a restaurant ("In a Porsche!") so his petite wife climbed back there insisting she was used to being cramped in back seats. She kept insisting that until she ran out of breath because her hunched-over position made her stop breathing. Half a moment later claustrophobia kicked in and I had to help her out. They followed us to the restaurant in their rental Toyota. The seats might work for a couple that were devotees of tantric sex, but I wouldn't count on it.

For us, that eliminates the first two categories, and a roll bar would tempt me to things my doctors advise against these days. For us, that leaves just choices three and four, which in truth are the essential question that occurred to me while reading the thread about GTS production.

Personally, I wouldn't give up the seats. I find it very convenient to slide jackets and parcels and purses under the seat backs with them folded down. Both to keep them from flying around during... uh... routine maneuvering; and also to keep them out of sight of the equally routine ogling stares when I leave the Carrera alone. When shopping for groceries they provide a place for crushables that otherwise would have to go on top of everything else back there and then I'd have cupcake boxes bouncing off my headrest every time I... uh... made a routine stop.

I like those seats. I fully understand the position of owners like Tony, who probably would assert as I might have when younger: "A rear seat would just be surplus weight when tracking, or even just sport driving opportunities. So would a roll bar, since I don't use enough tenths to plan for going inverted either. At least, not more than once. In the same car."

Honestly, the seats came home from the dealer folded up like 'real' seats, but they've been folded down ever since. I put my canes on top with the handles looped through the retracted seat belt. I would fold the backs up if we had a largish package to carry, but otherwise they will stay folded down and be very convenient for us that way. Shame to waste all the lovely leather out of sight, but think how nice it will look for the restorer owner in 2059!

Maybe I'll design a small trash bag for sideways use and have it done up in matching leather to fit the beneath-the-folded-seatback space since there isn't even room for a little sandbag litter box on the speck of floor behind the passenger seat, let alone an adult foot.

Gary, firmly in category three, but interested in other views

Last edited by simsgw; 07-18-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Couldn't get a poll attached.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:06 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

otherwise i would have got gt3 car to begin with.
for now i have to struggle with r1030 brey krause harness bar which I can remove when needed.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Need back seats folded down for my golf clubs!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

I'd be a catagory 3 as the seats folded down make a useful parcel/luggage shelf but my harness bar makes that impossible without looking silly. So I removed them and saved a little over 20 lbs. Make me a cat 5.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:05 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With three kids aged 16, 13, and 8 that need to be chauffeured to school I vote #1.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:05 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

The rear seats are priceless for some, useless for others. Therefore the already-long options menu should include:

Rear Seat Delete -- $0

And while we are at it, how about:
Sunroof delete -- $0
TV screen delete -- $0
Crap stereo delete -- $0
Front Center Console delete - $0
PASM delete -- $0

Bundle all six of the above with a manual shift and call it the "KISS Package" for $0. Bliss.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:15 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol

otherwise i would have got gt3 car to begin with.
for now i have to struggle with r1030 brey krause harness bar which I can remove when needed.
+1!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 91469972
+1!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:49 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

#1 here.

"Go faster, daddy!" - my 2 & 4 year olds.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#1 and #3 here. Perfect sized for my 5 and 7 year old daughters, that is how I sold the concept to my wife. Sold my Boxster and got a real family car!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:58 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
[...]
PASM delete -- $0

Bundle all six of the above with a manual shift and call it the "KISS Package" for $0. Bliss.
Not that I object to your having zero-cost deletion choices like that -- to each his own -- but I'd like to meet you at the track after you delete PASM.

Gary
Old 07-18-2011, 08:23 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm in the #1 category with 9 and 6 y/o's. Great family car with young kids!

I was going to order a GT3 a couple years ago, and I would have had to figure out how to install rear seats (possible, but not easy).

I do not recommend even small clients back there. Some years ago I was up in Denver meeting a lawyer there and another from NY, we headed to the IRS on a major case and I got stuck in the back of the Denver guy's cab. Not only was it uncomfortable as hell but I'm sure I looked like an idiot squirming around back there.

Anyway, it's a simple matter to remove the seat backs (and seat cushions) if that is what you want.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

My kids are 19 and 13, so not pre-teen, but this first choice fits the best. My 13 year old can still fit back there, but maybe not next year. My wife is a petite 5'2" and can manage ok in the back. When taking the whole family out, my 19 year old sits in the front, wife and 13 year old are in the back.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 PM
mossjn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1 - I had my 14 year old daughter and 3 (yes 3, it was suppose to be 2) of her friends in my 2008 Cabrio S on Friday night going 4 miles to the movies. Worked in a pinch and was a beautiful thing. Double belted in front seat - don't flame as it was in an absolute pinch.....

Option without would be optimal.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by 91469972
Do they fit?

Quick Reply: Poll: How I Feel about the Back Seats