Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa Roof Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 10:13 PM
PVBDLM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$40 of chemicals + 15 mins of time = 99% squeaks and rattles gone! WOW! Thanks RennlistTomE!

Old 06-01-2019, 11:55 AM
T4S
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RennlistTomE
Here's my cure for 99% of the Targa roof rattles & squeaks. Looks complicated. Isn't. My roof has been absolutely silent for a year since this fix.
You'll need two products: McLube spray (aka SailKote) and McLube One Drop oil. They're available in the marine market, and from various online sources. I've used them both a lot on boats.
1) Cover your seats - cheap insurance. Retract the glass top. Open the Targa hatch as well. If there is dust or dirt inside the roof or the hatch sills, vacuum it out. Get the remainder with detailers spray and a rag.
2) Clean excess gunk from ALL bits inside the rails of the track with a Q-tip. I didn't use cleaner or solvent. Wouldn't recommend it. Look hard. Find every bit of the track you can, from the top, from inside. To get to the aft track bits, retract the roof a small amount. Be sure to get in (as best you can) to the diffusers/seals both fore and aft of the glass top. The rear is especially tough, barely possible.
3) Do the same for all moving parts of the hatch hinges and the lock flange. The hinge mechanism is pretty complex. Actually quite cool.
4) Use the McLube oil on a Q-tip, to coat the tracks (not the sills, the black track / rails). Coat the hatch hinges and the flange too. You don't need a lot of oil, just coat the surface. Excess just attracts dust. Again look hard at the track. Find & lube every bit you can - from inside & out, partially & fully retracted roof.
5) Cycle the roof and the hatch. Repeat the lube process.
6) For the moving bits of the diffusers/seals you can't reach, use the McLube spray with the red tube extension. Both diffuser pieces have hinges. I think that the rear diffuser/seal (between the roof and the hatch) is the source of 90% of the problems. So look closely - anywhere that hard plastic sits against a solid piece of the roof.
Do not use the McLube spray on soft seals, just on hard surfaces. Use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the 'weatherstripping'.
The McLube spray dries clean. It will not attract dust and grime. It's possible that the McLube spray would do the whole job. No need for the oil. I'd consider trying that if your car is in a dusty environment. But since Porsche used a more viscous product, I use the McLube bearing oil.

Total time? Maybe 20 minutes
Result? - Silence. No issues.
Oh and don't wear jeans. You'll be leaning over the car a lot, easy to scratch your paint.

Honestly most dealers don't know how to deal with this problem. They know how to align the roof, but...

Tom
Just wanted to thank you. Did this yesterday, found supplies at the local marine store. Took my time and went full in - super happy with the results. After complete, drove straight to a terrible street with tons of construction patches and produces a lot of roof noise. Car didn't make a peep. Perhaps a little flex noise but not audible over engine sound. Anyhow, anyone looking for a fix, this does seem to do the the trick.
Thanks to everyone who contributed on this thread and the two related threads.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:01 PM
recklessunion
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RennlistTomE
Here's my cure for 99% of the Targa roof rattles & squeaks. Looks complicated. Isn't. My roof has been absolutely silent for a year since this fix.
You'll need two products: McLube spray (aka SailKote) and McLube One Drop oil. They're available in the marine market, and from various online sources. I've used them both a lot on boats.
1) Cover your seats - cheap insurance. Retract the glass top. Open the Targa hatch as well. If there is dust or dirt inside the roof or the hatch sills, vacuum it out. Get the remainder with detailers spray and a rag.
2) Clean excess gunk from ALL bits inside the rails of the track with a Q-tip. I didn't use cleaner or solvent. Wouldn't recommend it. Look hard. Find every bit of the track you can, from the top, from inside. To get to the aft track bits, retract the roof a small amount. Be sure to get in (as best you can) to the diffusers/seals both fore and aft of the glass top. The rear is especially tough, barely possible.
3) Do the same for all moving parts of the hatch hinges and the lock flange. The hinge mechanism is pretty complex. Actually quite cool.
4) Use the McLube oil on a Q-tip, to coat the tracks (not the sills, the black track / rails). Coat the hatch hinges and the flange too. You don't need a lot of oil, just coat the surface. Excess just attracts dust. Again look hard at the track. Find & lube every bit you can - from inside & out, partially & fully retracted roof.
5) Cycle the roof and the hatch. Repeat the lube process.
6) For the moving bits of the diffusers/seals you can't reach, use the McLube spray with the red tube extension. Both diffuser pieces have hinges. I think that the rear diffuser/seal (between the roof and the hatch) is the source of 90% of the problems. So look closely - anywhere that hard plastic sits against a solid piece of the roof.
Do not use the McLube spray on soft seals, just on hard surfaces. Use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the 'weatherstripping'.
The McLube spray dries clean. It will not attract dust and grime. It's possible that the McLube spray would do the whole job. No need for the oil. I'd consider trying that if your car is in a dusty environment. But since Porsche used a more viscous product, I use the McLube bearing oil.

Total time? Maybe 20 minutes
Result? - Silence. No issues.
Oh and don't wear jeans. You'll be leaning over the car a lot, easy to scratch your paint.

Honestly most dealers don't know how to deal with this problem. They know how to align the roof, but...

Tom

Tom thanks a ton for this. I just got my 2008 Targa back from a wash and noticed various noises for the first time with the top closed, so I believe this will be the solution. I've ordered the mclube products you mentioned. How important is the 303 Aerospace Protectant? Should I be ok without ordering that also? I assumed the soft rubber parts at the front of the roof are the main cause, since I get no noise when the roof is open even a little bit.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:17 PM
Idaho911
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 172 Posts

Bumping this thread as I am wanting to do this same thing on my 996 Targa. Are the above steps still valid or has anyone done something differently?

I have at my disposal:

McLube Sailkote
McLube One Drop
Krytox GPL205
PBlaster Teflon spray
Aerospace 303

Are any of these better in some areas than others? I.E. would the Krytox be better for the rails than the OneDrop?

OP mentioned no cleaners or solvents used. A couple years ago I sprayed the PBlaster against the front area and it has left white spots. What would clean that off? Should I use a cleaner on the tracks/rails to ensure a clean surface before lubricating?
Old 09-07-2021, 12:53 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I tried the instructions here a year or so ago with sailkote + one drop and Q-tips. It didnt seem to help. Anytime temps drop to 50 or below I get lots of squeaks and rattles from the top. Seems like stuff is just rubbing around up there. I will try again this fall.

(PS are you the one with the silver 996 Targa at the Silver Sage PCA events?)
Old 09-08-2021, 04:32 PM
Idaho911
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
I tried the instructions here a year or so ago with sailkote + one drop and Q-tips. It didnt seem to help. Anytime temps drop to 50 or below I get lots of squeaks and rattles from the top. Seems like stuff is just rubbing around up there. I will try again this fall.

(PS are you the one with the silver 996 Targa at the Silver Sage PCA events?)
Yep, that would be me. Are you the red or black 997?

My hopes for eliminating noise are virtually nil, but my top opens smoothly and closes slowly, so hoping a good cleaning and lubrication service will help things.

Have you ever removed the front fabric trims and checked if the bolts holding the roof on the rails and such are loose? Mine were and tightening remove some of the noise.

Quick Reply: Targa Roof Noise