Sponsored by:

Dealership Experience - Your Input

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealership Experience - Your Input

Hi Everyone! Overall, I had a good experience picking up my car (2011 997.2) from the dealer last week. Just a few hiccups and was wondering whether this is normal or if anyone has dealt with this before. At the dealer, I fully inspected the car – it had 10 miles on it (brand new) so I didn’t do a full inspection assuming everything was ok. Well, when I got home, I notice 4 items: (1) a small door ding, (2) finish on the plastic umbrella holder on the floor by the passenger side door was worn out, (3) small rip in the leather on handle of the driver’s door and most important, (4) the front bumper appeared to be re-painted. I noticed #4 b/c some of the paint was actually touching a piece of the black plastic part of the bumper.

Anyway, took the car to the dealer and they fixed everything. Their ding guy popped out the ding; they replaced the plastic umbrella holder and; their leather guy fixed the door handle. Regarding the bumper, they said in some cases, the cars come from the port with scratches, dings etc…and if they see anything wrong, they fix it. The bumper doesn’t appear to be painted at the dealer so most likely; it was re-painted at the port (he thinks) or the dealer it was sent from.

There was a moment I wanted to give the car back but then I took a step back and calmed down. The dealer did fix everything. And regarding the bumper, the car only had 10 miles on it so it couldn’t have been damaged in an accident. So, despite being modestly disappointed, I decided to keep it since it was optioned with everything I was looking for.

Is this normal and has anyone else dealt with this? What would you have done?

Cheers

SP
Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just don't think there's much care given to cars these days, no matter how expensive. Also don't think dealers put too much concern into it either.

Was just looking at a new C63. After a test drive, took a walk around it and both wheels on the driver's side were a disaster. Each wheel had 5-6 very large chunks missing. This car had 22 miles on it.

Dealer didn't know about it and did not seem to care too much. "oh, we can fix that".

Just seems par for the course these days.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Sounds like it all worked out OK for you. BTW, you can get in an accident during the first 10 miles.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:11 AM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Sounds like it all worked out OK for you. BTW, you can get in an accident during the first 10 miles.
good point. sounds like this is kind of common with dealers and cars sitting in ports....
Old 07-13-2011, 10:11 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i would bitch if bumper color on a brand new car does not match fenders. if you took it nack it is too late now to get back to it anyway, just enjoy your car.

i think if you wrap whole front into clear bra it will be less visible and will preserve paint well.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 AM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of things happen in transport. A vehicle goes from the factory to a truck to a train or ship to another truck or train then to a dealership. It is rare that damage occurs, but it does happen.
The dealership fixed your concerns and that is the positive here. If you aren't happy with the paint on the front bumper, have them paint it again, transport damage is covered by insurance. It does kinda suck when it is your car, but the plastic front bumper sure beats having real body work repairs.
Enjoy the new car!
Old 07-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

We've purchased several new cars over the past 10 years and with exception to VW all have been perfect upon delivery. No issues with chips, resprays, scuffs on interior parts or anything else. My spyder was also swirl free when I received it although the dealer didn't do a great job removing the glue from the protective film they use during shipping.

The front bumper respray seems odd. If you have accepted it then I would just forget about it and enjoy the car. You might ask for the dealer for concessions, I'm sure they would offer something up.

In the grand scheme of things most of the issues don't matter as the same thing will happen as you drive the car but it does seem odd.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Had my front bumper scratched when they unload my Mercedes off the truck. It had an AMG kit so the front was pretty low, I was not happy and they offer to fix it but I didn't bother as I know I will put many more scratches on the bottom bumper, it's not noticeable unless you run your hands through it. I agree that the dealer's don't really care for cars much these days. They sell so many and to them it's just another car.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:39 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately , this is normal but rare.
Lots of stories of cars dropping off the radar in transit....A salesman gets updates as the process developes getting the car built and shipped and transported to the dealership. You'll get an update that the car was released to transporter, which means severel days and its there....weeks can go by. That can mean damage is being repaired. The updates will cease and the car will just show up. As a dealer you can refuse the car if you see damage repair or actual damage on the car.
The lot porter most likely missed all the issues when it was off loaded, now its on the dealer to pay for the repairs.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:42 PM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by pewter82
Unfortunately , this is normal but rare.
Lots of stories of cars dropping off the radar in transit....A salesman gets updates as the process developes getting the car built and shipped and transported to the dealership. You'll get an update that the car was released to transporter, which means severel days and its there....weeks can go by. That can mean damage is being repaired. The updates will cease and the car will just show up. As a dealer you can refuse the car if you see damage repair or actual damage on the car.
The lot porter most likely missed all the issues when it was off loaded, now its on the dealer to pay for the repairs.
Even though I would never give the car back, I am going to ask for some sort of a concession. Worth a shot.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:51 PM
stab1991
Advanced

I have been lucky with my purchases (too many to count, I have a car buying problem) but my used 08 with 8000 miles had less cosmetic issues.

My wife picked up her new lexus IS and the wood trim around the shifter was scratched at delivery, she showed the salesman and he said, really, you want that replaced for the scratches.

Truth is, most people dont care anymore, and it goes further than just our beloved automobiles.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would get the paint depth measured on the fenders to make sure there was no blending or over-spray. This will kill when you go to resell it.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:17 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by function12
I would get the paint depth measured on the fenders to make sure there was no blending or over-spray. This will kill when you go to resell it.
OMG - are you talking about a Rembrandt or a car?!

Get a grip man!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
Hi Everyone! Overall, I had a good experience picking up my car (2011 997.2) from the dealer last week. Just a few hiccups and was wondering whether this is normal or if anyone has dealt with this before. At the dealer, I fully inspected the car – it had 10 miles on it (brand new) so I didn’t do a full inspection assuming everything was ok. Well, when I got home, I notice 4 items: (1) a small door ding, (2) finish on the plastic umbrella holder on the floor by the passenger side door was worn out, (3) small rip in the leather on handle of the driver’s door and most important, (4) the front bumper appeared to be re-painted. I noticed #4 b/c some of the paint was actually touching a piece of the black plastic part of the bumper.

Anyway, took the car to the dealer and they fixed everything. Their ding guy popped out the ding; they replaced the plastic umbrella holder and; their leather guy fixed the door handle. Regarding the bumper, they said in some cases, the cars come from the port with scratches, dings etc…and if they see anything wrong, they fix it. The bumper doesn’t appear to be painted at the dealer so most likely; it was re-painted at the port (he thinks) or the dealer it was sent from.

There was a moment I wanted to give the car back but then I took a step back and calmed down. The dealer did fix everything. And regarding the bumper, the car only had 10 miles on it so it couldn’t have been damaged in an accident. So, despite being modestly disappointed, I decided to keep it since it was optioned with everything I was looking for.

Is this normal and has anyone else dealt with this? What would you have done?

Cheers

SP
By law (at least in CA) the dealers are obligated to disclose any work done to the car after the car arrived in port... Each car has its own file and most cars have an empty file.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
OMG - are you talking about a Rembrandt or a car?!

Get a grip man!
I agree on the paint depth as it can cause diminished value if the fenders have been painted. Dealers will use this against him when he trades the car years from now or alternatively some buyers would not purchase due to suspected accident history.

The OP bought a new car which was not suppose to have any accident history or damage and he paid a price based on these facts. When the car was delivered the facts changed but the price didn't. It may not hurt the buyer now but it may in the future.

Quick Reply: Dealership Experience - Your Input