Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Should I sell my car? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/643908-should-i-sell-my-car.html)

Kuhan 07-12-2011 08:52 PM

Should I sell my car?

I realized by boyhood dream of Porsche ownership about a year ago with a nice 18.5kmile 2006 CPO C2 with not much on it other than Bose, Xenon & electric seats. Now she has 26k miles and a DME read that would make most rennlisters run a mile. To me, the car is perfect and runs great and has been no trouble at all. 15 months still to run on the CPO.

It is looking like I may be leaving the country for 2-3 years so my head tells me to sell the car since it will only depreciate. I can buy another when I return. BUT I also feel like I'm going to get a crappy price if I sell since only I know that the car is fine but on paper it's going to look like a lemon (to the educated buyer).

Should I sell? What do you think I would get for it?

Marine Blue 07-12-2011 08:56 PM

Unfortunately the DME readout will not change 3 - 5 years from now (if you decide to sell later) so you may take a hit in the price no matter what.

What is the report showing and why?

Hella-Buggin' 07-12-2011 09:09 PM

there's plenty of uneducated buyers out there. Pick a price and see if you get it. You can always change your mind.

utkinpol 07-13-2011 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kuhan (Post 8707693)
I realized by boyhood dream of Porsche ownership about a year ago with a nice 18.5kmile 2006 CPO C2 with not much on it other than Bose, Xenon & electric seats. Now she has 26k miles and a DME read that would make most rennlisters run a mile. To me, the car is perfect and runs great and has been no trouble at all. 15 months still to run on the CPO.

It is looking like I may be leaving the country for 2-3 years so my head tells me to sell the car since it will only depreciate. I can buy another when I return. BUT I also feel like I'm going to get a crappy price if I sell since only I know that the car is fine but on paper it's going to look like a lemon (to the educated buyer).

Should I sell? What do you think I would get for it?

this car will still run great in 2-3 years. Decide for yourself if you want to buy newer one later or keep this one, it is difficult to say.

I would sell, 3 years in a storage is a lot of time, cars do not like that.

JW911 07-13-2011 03:00 PM

I would sell it. Sitting for 3 years you will lose a ton of value. There are plenty of buyers for these cars that have never heard of a PPI or a DME report. If the car runs great then sell it with a free conscience. DME is not the be-all end-all. You clearly got lucky and an over rev did not damage anything.

gota911 07-13-2011 08:52 PM

Take it to Carmax and see what they offer you. You may be surprised, a few other guys here got a decent price from Carmax.

Macster 07-13-2011 10:14 PM

If the car is sold to Carmax it loses its CPO warranty.

Sincerely,

Macster.

No HTwo O 07-13-2011 10:19 PM

If it's a corporate move, negotiate the car going with you, and have them cover the expenses.

Quadcammer 07-13-2011 10:22 PM

sell it. It will lose value whether you drive it or not, so theres no point in letting it sit there since its a pretty standard car for which a replacement should be easy to find.

Edgy01 07-13-2011 11:38 PM

Sitting for 3 years = bad for the car

Your money (even if less than you thought) should be working for you for those three years.

Doc GTO 07-14-2011 12:25 AM

Check to see if the car was ever tuned (i.e. GIAC, ect) My car got the GIAC flash from the dealer with the prior owner (since it was a CPO it had to be done by them) so the DME readouts are not accurate so my local dealer doesn't worry about them.

The car sitting unused for 3 years will be bad for it . . . You can always send it to me and I will keep her in shape for you!!!
:cheers:

rodsky 07-14-2011 12:33 AM

There is no doubt - sell. Crappy price now = worse price in 3 years. Used cars are enjoying a little day in the sun right now. May be your best chance to get a good deal. Only reason to keep is that you think all FIAT currency and stocks will be worthless. If thats the case, sell and buy gold. It will be worth more than your car will be in 2-3 years time.

blake 07-14-2011 01:45 AM

I have sold two cars to Carmax within the past 6 months. Used car values (even wholesale) appear to be going up. Sold my '07 Mini Cooper S with 90K on the odometer for $10K to Carmax in March, and just sold my '08 Land Rover LR3 with 90K on the odometer for $18K to Carmax in June (what I owed on my loan ironically). Land Rover dealer offered $13K on trade...

It also appears that '06/'07/'08 911s are increasing in value if you look at the Porsche dealer's asking prices online. The cars might not sell at those prices, but certainly the trend is upward.

I'd recommend selling the car now either as a private sale, or to Carmax. WHen you get back, buy another (newer) CPOd Porsche!

-B ;)

No HTwo O 07-14-2011 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Doc GTO (Post 8711206)
so the DME readouts are not accurate so my local dealer doesn't worry about them.

I don't think so.

Doc GTO 07-14-2011 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by No HTwo O (Post 8711592)
I don't think so.

I have an aftermarket warranty (purchased thru a P-car dealer) so PCNA doesn't get involved is what I was told by the Porsche region service rep. If it was a CPO Porsche warranty then it would be a problem. Just relaying what I was told.