Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Wrench and Lug Socket

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Agree. Home depot or lowes torque wrench.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:29 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

www.torqwrench.com is worth a look. Old school, Made in USA, Snap-On supplier, only cheaper.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was surprised to see no anti-sieze required - why is that? Just trying to learn.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:33 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't want too much anti-sieze, just a little. I use Permatex anti-sieze, which is aluminum paste.

"Always apply a thin coat of Optimoly TA (aluminium paste) on the thread of the wheel bolts, on the shank and between the bolt head bearing surface and spherical cap ring (under the head) -arrows- . Do not grease the spherical cap bearing surface -X- of the wheel bolts that face the wheel. "
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
I was surprised to see no anti-sieze required - why is that? Just trying to learn.
When you remove the bolts, you will see that the anti-seize optimoly ta is still on the bolt and in the threaded holes. It doesn't vaporize over time. So unless you remove the stuff from the holes and bolts by cleaning them out, they bolts and holes are still lubed. I would not clean the bolt threads nor the holes, unless I had replacement optimoly ta (important: an aluminum based anti-seize as mentioned) to reapply, and I'd only get the anti-seize if/when I planned on cleaning the bolts. I don't see any benefit to wiping off perfectly good anti-seize and then putting new anti-seize on in its place.

You should not install the bolts without the antiseize in place (either existing or newly applied) and as said, you should not apply too much.

The reasons for the anti-seize are:
  1. Prevents the bolts and hubs/rotors from becomming pressure/friction welded together.
  2. Provides the correct interface for the torque numbers when tightening the bolts.

If you don't have anti-seize, or way too much anti-seize and in the wrong place (such as on the bolt shoulders in the pic above) then the torque values are not going to be correct, and the bolts may work themselves loose prematurely.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guys!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
Thanks, guys!
When you DE a lot your bolts have no time to seize! They are on and off frequent!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:42 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

left out a biggie...

I believe its Griots that sells brass hole pins that thread into the carrier. Use two and it makes re-mounting your wheel a snap. Otherwise prepare to frustrate yourself a bit getting the first lug or two in...

they are brass so they're soft and wont scratch your wheel

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench and Lug Socket