Sponsored by:

Update on purchase - no longer overwhelmed - I'm in the groove

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink Update on purchase - no longer overwhelmed - I'm in the groove

Made an Offer in Principle on an '07 C4S... GT Silver Metallic on black, 16k miles, 1 owner lease-return, Sports Chrono Plus, Navi, Bose premium, Adaptive Seats.
Spent a lot of time speaking with the mechanic that worked on this car for the last 3+ years - he is adamant that it is a solid vehicle. It heads off Monday to a separate local P car dealer for extensive PPI. I'll post the results and seek input from this motley crew to ensure everything looks right. If all goes well I will be flying out Wednesday to pick this bad boy up for a fun 700 mile drive back to CO. Wish me luck.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:01 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Good luck! I'm sure it's incredible. Post pics--
Old 07-09-2011, 05:43 PM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck, hope it checks out. Keep a travel log on the way home, I only took a couple of pictures on my drive from Cleveland to Atlanta. Great way to get to know the new (to you) Carrera.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

I will definitely take lots of photos - thanks for the reminder. I am also flying my Pop out from NC to meet me and ride back to CO. Should be another in a long line of fun bonding adventures with the old man.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:20 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Might want to get some blue tape, cover up the front, you might get a few rock chips on the way back. Congrats on your purchase.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck and cant wait to see pics.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:18 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Forget the blue tape. As you live in Colorado, land of rock and gravel, you will definitely want to have the dealer arrange for ClearBra or equivalent, unless it's already been applied.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:09 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
Forget the blue tape. As you live in Colorado, land of rock and gravel, you will definitely want to have the dealer arrange for ClearBra or equivalent, unless it's already been applied.
Very true. When I lived there, everybody had rock chips and cracked windshields.

When I lived there, I had a Jeep, and had zero deductible glass coverage on my insurance contracts. Because Colorado uses sand and gravel on roads during the wintertime (not salt), rocks are constantly getting thrown up. Even though they're required (EPA rules I think?) to street sweep after they put that stuff down, there's no way they can get it all up.

Even during the summertime, rocks were being thrown up all the time. Even when I used insurance to get new windshields, they were cracked again within a month. Unless the crack was really bad in the driver's view, I'd just let them get worse until finally they were so pitted and hard to see through sun glare, I'd have to get them replaced.

I wouldn't even think of owning a 911 in Colorado without a good clear bra on it, and zero deductible glass coverage.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Good points re: clear bra. It is on my list of things to do.
I spoke with the dealer performing the PPI - the car didn't arrive until 2:00p today, so I won't have all of the results until tomorrow.
Good news is I am in San Francisco on business and have in my hands the CO temp tag (one of the advantages of working this purchase through a broker - for $500 flat fee). I fully expect to re-route myself to SoCal Wednesday for pickup.
BTW - Rusnak Porsche is doing the PPI, and all service was done by Porsche Beverly Hills. Anyone have experience with these dealers? Thoughts to share?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
I will definitely take lots of photos - thanks for the reminder. I am also flying my Pop out from NC to meet me and ride back to CO. Should be another in a long line of fun bonding adventures with the old man.
Excellent idea. I am sharing my 997 experience with my 15 year old son. He helped my wash it the other day and then as a surprise I got him to start it up. I wish I'd had a camera running. The grin on his face went from ear to ear! Totally a wonderful moment. I made a deal that I would teach him to drive in it. My wife is not fond of this idea but maybe there are something's best left unsaid... Have fun!
Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Last update before pics... The car scored about as perfect as possible on the PPI. 16k miles - 850 operating hours. DME scan was cool -no high revs in 6/5 with only 55 in 4 and that was 395 hours ago. Paint meter good (minor touch-up on front) and everything is OEM.
Ithey are installing a new battery and new shoes on the front.
This is a 2007 C4S with 16k miles, sports chrono plus, heated/adaptive leather seats, navi - And the amber running lights already replaced!
$59.5 all in.
I pick up tomorrow at Rusnak Pasadena and the pick up my pop at LAX for the -1000 mile drive back to Colorado Springs.
I will take plenty of pics and will post here. I am grinning like a kid. I have a chubby that will morph into a full-blown boner by this time tomorrow.
My thanks to all for the guidance/advice. I will be expressing my appreciation by becoming a Rennlist member.
See you soon.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great news, make sure to take a lot of pics and document your driving experience. I also thought about driving from San Diego to Littleton. Glad I didn't b/c I would had been stuck in the blizzard and also when I saw how low the GT3RS front bumper was, there is not a chance I would take any risk.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:01 PM
buzzone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im lookin' too / Very Nice

I am trying to re-enter P world. Struggling a bit trying figuring out what I can afford, or will settle for?? QUESTION: The idea of taking over a lease sounds interesting. Did that situation find YOU... or did you find it? and How?? VN Car! Buzz
Old 07-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

I found the car after 3 months of deliberation, then a month or two of active searching.
I did not take over this lease. The leasee bought it out for the residual and then sold it - apparently to buy something else (I think one of those red italian cars). I bought it from the dealer that took it on trade.
For me, living in CO and wanting a daily driver, my decision was fairly easy - I needed the C4 or C4S - the most affordable AWD options for me. I wanted the additional power of the S, so that was that
If I lived in a no snow climate, I would have purchased a C2S as my first P-car.

Then I narrowed down the options I wanted - that were not easy add-ons after purchase (Sports Chrono Plus, Adaptive Seats). I want PSE, but I can do that next year or for myself for a Christmas present. Same with short shift, aluminum pedals, etc. I can do those mods whenever. I wanted one of three colors; Arctic Silver, Atlas Grey or Dark Blue Metallic.

Once all that was in place I just kept monitoring cars.com, autotrader, ebay, etc. until I found 2 vehicles that fit the bill and were listed no more than $5000 above my price point. Once I had the offer in Principle on the negotiated price I sent it through a PPI + and bought it.

Originally Posted by buzzone
I am trying to re-enter P world. Struggling a bit trying figuring out what I can afford, or will settle for?? QUESTION: The idea of taking over a lease sounds interesting. Did that situation find YOU... or did you find it? and How?? VN Car! Buzz

Quick Reply: Update on purchase - no longer overwhelmed - I'm in the groove