Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to clean bird dropping stains off of clear bra.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts
Default How to clean bird dropping stains off of clear bra.

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and hate to start with a "crappy" subject with my first post but maybe someone here as an answer. I read the thread on cleaning scratches.

I have a new 2011 GTS in black. Love it! Its awesome.... but the clear bra (Venture shield) seems to stain all to easily from bird droppings. Keeping a black car nice is challenging enough but this is driving me nuts.

Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Sorry about the bird droppings. I've learned to avoid parking under trees if at all possible for the same reason.

Heat can remove blemishes from Ventureshield. I've used an adjustable heat gun bring the film up to temperature slowly, then hit it with a spray of cold water to cool it back down. I normally don't expose the film much longer than a minute to the heat gun each time. Film on plastic, is about 350F and film on on metal is higher at 450-500F. It takes a while, but the film will soften upon exposure and the marks will fade or disappear. Keep the heat gun moving. Don't let it dwell on any one spot for long, otherwise you risk catastrophically melting the film. For fine scratches, several vendors recommend just leaving the car in the hot sun for a while.

Some people have used fine polishes with an orbital on blemishes. A search of the forum should find more info. Some have used diluted isopropyl alcohol on the film, but I don't recommend it due to the potential of permanent fogging. It works on 3M film, but not the Ventureshield specific product.

This is just my experience with the one car, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Your experience may vary.

Good luck!

Last edited by wwilliams88; 07-08-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:26 PM
henrysko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't help thinking of this commercial when black cars/bird poop comes up...

Old 07-07-2011, 08:53 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

this probibly has acids in it that perminately stain or bleach the material, just like it will get into the paint and stain it
Old 07-08-2011, 12:16 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

try plexus. it may help protect it.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:03 AM
pro-tect mobile
AutoX

Keeping a good sealant on the film will prevent msot of the bird droppings and bugs from etching the film. I hear Plexus works well but personally I use an acrylic sealant made by LP AeroPlastics. It has worked exceptionally well and I give them out with all my installs.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Urine !
Old 07-09-2011, 10:43 AM
smboyer
AutoX

Just got my GT3 with venture shield back from DE. Black rubber marks all over hood. Tried everything, hot water/ soap, plexus. Nothing would touch them. Then tried Rejex and marks gone with no effort
Old 07-10-2011, 12:01 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoot the birds...
Old 07-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

What is Rejex? Where can you buy it?

Update: I left the car out in the sun Saturday. Stain is gone. Weird ...but I'm happy!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:14 AM
smboyer
AutoX

this what i have always used on my rims
REJEX
NOTHING STICKS BUT THE SHINE!®

RejeX is a thin-film polymer coating, used instead of wax or polish, to provide the ultimate, durable high-gloss protective finish for vehicles of all types.

Entirely synthetic, RejeX's protective characteristics far exceed those of traditional wax products. It highly resistant to chemicals, detergents, acids and UV, which deteriorate paint over time.

Even though RejeX contains no polishing additives per se, the deep, lustrous high-gloss finish rivals that of any polish or glaze. Click here to visit the main RejeX page.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by wwilliams88
Sorry about the bird droppings. I've learned to avoid parking under trees if at all possible for the same reason.

Heat can remove blemishes from Ventureshield. I've used an adjustable heat gun bring the film up to temperature slowly, then hit it with a spray of cold water to cool it back down. I normally don't expose the film much longer than a minute to the heat gun each time. Film on plastic, is about 350F and film on on metal is higher at 450-500F. It takes a while, but the film will soften upon exposure and the marks will fade or disappear. Keep the heat gun moving. Don't let it dwell on any one spot for long, otherwise you risk catastrophically melting the film. For fine scratches, several vendors recommend just leaving the car in the hot sun for a while.

Some people have used fine polishes with an orbital on blemishes. A search of the forum should find more info. Some have used diluted isopropyl alcohol on the film, but I don't recommend it due to the potential of permanent fogging. It works on 3M film, but not the Ventureshield specific product.

This is just my experience with the one car, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Your experience may vary.

Good luck!
The guy who installed my clear bra gave the same advice as above. You may be able to get the job done using a blow dryer.

I did a write up a few months back on how to polish a clear bra, yes they can be successfully polished.

Unfortunately I have never come upon any product (including Zaino) that will protect against the bird dropping/sun combination. The acid very quickly etches through any protection and right into the paint. Only real solution is to find another place to park, put a cover on it or wipe the crap off immediately.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:20 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
try plexus. it may help protect it.
x2 Plexus leaves a protective film that may help reduce the possiblity
of etching. Although I don't know from experience. I do know that it
removes old bug splats with no problem. The vendor who installed the
clearbra left a can of it for me.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I think you should probibly invest in the Clear Bra Protector, Clear Bra Protector; that is a clear layer of film, which is used to go over the Clear Bra
Old 07-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
I think you should probibly invest in the Clear Bra Protector, Clear Bra Protector; that is a clear layer of film, which is used to go over the Clear Bra
sorry if you are serious, but that sounds a lot like a punch line!

Quick Reply: How to clean bird dropping stains off of clear bra.