Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 AM
sfrank
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '08 4s Cab with 19" Turbo wheels and I just replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport tires with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on Saturday. I am completely overwhelmed at the difference in ride. Granted my old tires were pretty worn, the ride is much smoother and I can't say I have lost anything from a performance stand point.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:02 AM
SY-997
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdrums
If you did not drive both cars on the same road then really can't compare them. Also make sure the deal airs down the tires to stock 2 people air pressure. Lots of dealers have way too much air in the tires because cars sit and can flat spot the tires
+1. For my 997.2S with 19" wheels, my dealer keeps wanting to inflate the tires to 37/44 psi when the pressure should be 33/39 when carrying only 1 or 2 occupants. It makes a BIG difference in ride quality.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:27 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bernpep
Hello, I really want to own a new 911s. My local dealer had only a base 911 which I test drove and was undewhelmed with the bumpy ride quality. I went to an out of state dealer & test drove a 911S & came away feeling better about the ride comfort. My question is : does anyone here feel that the ride quality improves that much more with the 911S adaptive suspension? The power of both cars was fantastic. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Unquestionably. We test drove both before buying our 2009 C2S with PASM. The difference is amazing when you drive them back to back. A friend went one step further and bought his S with the Sport option. He and others insist that "Sport PASM" is the ultimate, but I didn't get a chance to drive that personally.

The important point is that the suspensions softens when the road gets rougher. That makes it more comfortable than a stock analog suspension. Then when you start pressing, the suspension tightens up and handles betters than the compromise provided by that stock analog suspension. Then you get a cute little shock-absorber symbol on a button that tells the suspension you want it even more taut. In that mode, it still gets softer than stock when it should, but when pressing on regardless it becomes race-car like.

Love it. Glad I didn't drive the Sport PASM as well. Probably saved us another few thousand because I wouldn't have been able to resist it from the descriptions.

Gary
Old 07-06-2011, 01:38 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

The model i drove had no pasm. I can't believe the difference could be so different in ride quality. [...] Can a 2011 911S carrera be a decently comfortable weekend cruiser?
Oh yeah. I'd post a link if I knew how, but search for my post titled "The Well-Tempered Carrera" last week after I drove a couple of hundred miles for the first time. This latest model is an astonishing cross between race-car performance on tracks and a very comfortable grand touring car when that's what you need.

I agree about checking air pressures by the way. It has been my experience also
that dealers crank up the tire pressures to the max load setting and with low profile tires that makes a very big difference in harshness. Have them adjusted to 34 front and 40 rear before test driving if you're seriously concerned after trying a 997.2 PASM car.

Gary
Old 07-06-2011, 02:56 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Glad I didn't drive the Sport PASM as well. Probably saved us another few thousand because I wouldn't have been able to resist it from the descriptions.

Gary
Not to hijack the OP's thread Gary, but I have Sport PASM and love it. I'm sure you would to. Not to make you feel badly but it didn't come nearly as dear as you'd think. Only $950, which included a mechanical LSD.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:13 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Not to hijack the OP's thread Gary, but I have Sport PASM and love it. I'm sure you would to. Not to make you feel badly but it didn't come nearly as dear as you'd think. Only $950, which included a mechanical LSD.
Screw the thread. I'm planning to hijack your Sport PASM! Maybe just the LSD, which I can extract from underneath some night and you'll never notice it's gone until the next track day.

Gary
Old 07-06-2011, 04:31 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

S w/PASM w/20s - simply a JOY RIDE
Old 07-06-2011, 09:08 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I agree. I just bought a 2012 GTS with Sport PASM. I was originally concerned that it might be too harsh for daily use, but it is not. I prefer it to the standard PASM in my 08 997S that I traded.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

base carrera shocks are fine, but sway bars are too soft so car tilts too much in corners.

sport cars are firm and not everyone likes that. one who thinks base carrera is soft should try a ride in a modded car with racing shocks, 900/1200 lbs springs, carbon fiber hard seat shell and experience how real sports car feels like.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:27 AM
jason74
Instructor

I have the 07 C2 with standard suspension, 19" wheels. It is very firm, but you get used to it. On my first commute with it, I was like 'uh oh, this is too rough for everyday'. It is my daily driver, and I don't even notice the firmness anymore. We drove it to the lake this weekend with the kid in back and wife in front. No complaints from either. I even let my mother-in-law drive it, and she thought it was great!
Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 06 S is the softest 911 that I have ever owned or driven.... I like to put it in sport mode for a more "raw" feel, but even that is nothing compared to any SC, 3.2, and most of the 964s and 993s.

Let's not forget that the 911 was intended to be a race car that the enthusiast could drive on the street. Porsche's customers agreed with that model until the 964 came out, and many purists considered it too soft though the attributes of the buying public had begun to change. The 996 took it to a whole new level of comfort, and Porsche launched the GT3 series for the US market to bring back the rougher, sports car ride (no doubt to appease the purists).

I LOVE my 997.1 as a DD - compliant, quick, and lots of fun to throw around.... However, I drive my 996 GT3 when I want to drive a quintessential 911....

-B
Old 07-06-2011, 11:42 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Screw the thread. I'm planning to hijack your Sport PASM! Maybe just the LSD, which I can extract from underneath some night and you'll never notice it's gone until the next track day.

Gary
997.2 SPASM for just $1K with LSD included - it is an amazing deal. even considering you pull out that LSD and send it to guards for rebuild it is still an amazing deal. my suspension rebuild was $4K for JRZs shocks alone, you cannot really compare 2 way adjustable custom setup to SPASM but I would not bet a dime if stock SPASM if driven properly would not give quie comparable lap times with my setup. a lot of people who got it on 997.2 cars praise it a lot, i see no reason not to trust them.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

A significant difference that appears to be glossed over on this thread is coupe versus cabriolet. The dampening is set differently for the cabriolets than the coupes. Porsche AG assumed (rightly) that those who purchase a cabriolet are looking more for ride comfort than performance with a cabriolet.

Ride quality also is greatly affected by the age of the tires, and by the condition of the roadway. Everyone's experiences there will vary, so this question may be difficult to answer for you. Many roadways in the USA are in such disrepair that I can see why no one would want any 911 to drive for any long trip if comfort is their primary concern.

Keep in mind that a 911 is a performance oriented sports car. It's not a Camry. Perhaps you may never be happy with a 911. While Porsche has made every attempt to broaden the line of 911s to appeal to a broader customer audience, they can just go so far before they change what the car fundamentally is designed to be.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:17 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you everyone for the great feedback. Please keep in mind that I have owned an e46 M3 for 7 years. It does not have a cushy ride by any means. The 911 was a rush at first try but I wasn't that comfortable. Maybe I should test another 2011 S to make sure.
Regards
Old 07-06-2011, 02:07 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Thank you everyone for the great feedback. Please keep in mind that I have owned an e46 M3 for 7 years. It does not have a cushy ride by any means. The 911 was a rush at first try but I wasn't that comfortable. Maybe I should test another 2011 S to make sure.
Regards
I traded my e46 M3 on a 2007 997S coupe about 5 years ago, and I thought at the time that the 997S rode better than my M3. I drove it as a daily driver, then traded on a 2008 997S coupe that I also drove as a daily driver. I traded the 2008 on a 2012 GTS with Sport PASM last week, and will be driving it daily also. I have no problems with comfort compared to my e46 M3. The M3 has more backseat room if that is important, but other than that, the 911 is fine for daily use.

As others have said, the 911 is a sports car. It is not going to ride like a luxury sedan, nor should it.

Quick Reply: Ride Quality