Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aircon always on, or on/off

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:53 PM
carbonblackcab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually turn on the AC (and ventilated seats) a few minutes after I start the car. I turn the AC off when I am a few blocks from my destination. I turn up the fan when i turn off the AC to make sure I dont have condensation in then vents (to prevent the moldy smell).

I wish porsche had the feature that Mercedes has where can keep the air circulating for a few minutes after you stop the car. I really miss that feature from my CLK 430.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by sbpsu354
I usually hit the eco button to turn the compressor off a couple of blocks before getting home. I read somewhere it gives some parts time to dry off a bit before shutting the car off. Not sure if it's true or not, but I don't have any issue with that musty smell the many cars develop from running the ac in the summer. Having the compressor off during start up puts less load on the starter, but I don't imagine that's really an issue for motors these days.
I too shut off the A/C compressor a distance from my destination to give the A/C system hardware/vents time to dry to lessen the chance mold/fungus can take root. Once they do they are very hard to eliminate.

As for the A/C compressor being on when the engine is started I believe the A/C compressor is not engaged or its variable stroke setting is at zero compression so the A/C compressor presents very little additional load to the starter at engine start.

But it doesn't hurt to be safe and making sure the A/C is off before starting the engine is ok. I do it too.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:20 PM
DLennox
Banned

It's kind of a waste with the windows down and the sunroof open!
Old 07-06-2011, 10:52 PM
dansen
Intermediate

I always have it on Auto. When I started the engine, the unit was completely off. Couple seconds later, the computer will decide to turn on AC or heater to get to the temp that I set. I been doing this to all of my cars that have auto climate control for over 20 years. oh, I do turned it off when I have the top down. I thought this is in the manual. I do see other turned it on and off everyday and had problem with their switch.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:07 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
I don't know about all that. In fact I don't even understand it. What I do know is that I never turn off my A/C. Never. 12 months per year. Hot weather, cold weather, dry weather, humid weather. Top up, top down, I keep it on always. Keeps my cockpit comfortable always. Never a problem with fogging windows. Excellent, modern, automatic climate control that requires no intervention by the driver. Thank you Porsche.
I concur 100%. Never turn the A/C off, even with the windows down and sunroof open. Use the sunroof every day, usually just to hear the exhaust. Works great here in SoCal and no moldy smell in my 997.1 GT3. I believe it's the same A/C as other 997s. BTW I don't claim to understand how the A/C condenser can be turned on or off to control the moisture in the vents. I just tend to not fix things if they aren't broken.

Can't say the same for the wife's SL55 AMG, which sometimes has the moldy smell at start-up. The Merc dealership recommended using a mold killing spray in the ductwork. Guess I'm not using the proper technique, but it's not bad enough for much concern.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:57 AM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car is garaged so I'll leave AC off and drive around with the windows down. Auto goes on when the car has been sitting and baking in the sun, when wifey is in the car, or when I'm wearing a suit.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 AM
JCH
AutoX

i think it is possible to turn AC off fully.

Turn the fan speed all the way down. Touch the fan adjustment to go down again. "Off" appears in the display on my system and I am pretty sure it is fully off.

Quick Reply: Aircon always on, or on/off