Is my alternator dying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my alternator dying?

My '06 Carrera S with 53K has a new noise this morning. The car starts strongly but there is a noticeable clicking noise coming from, I believe, the alternator. The noise changes in character a bit when the throttle is applied but manifests itself mainly as a loud clicking-type sound.
I have an appointment with the dealer next week but am curious if it should be driven in the mean time. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?
Thanks!!
Old 07-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Datura
My '06 Carrera S with 53K has a new noise this morning. The car starts strongly but there is a noticeable clicking noise coming from, I believe, the alternator. The noise changes in character a bit when the throttle is applied but manifests itself mainly as a loud clicking-type sound.
I have an appointment with the dealer next week but am curious if it should be driven in the mean time. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?
Thanks!!
The exact (as possible) location of engine noises is tough to make without some effort (unless the noise is so loud, so clearly coming from a specific area which is thankfully *usually* not the case) so I would not necessarily suspect the noise is coming from the alternator, only from that general vicinity.

A clicking noise is not a common alternator failure sound at least in my experience.

One shade tree mechanic 'trick' is to remove the serpentine belt and start the cold engine. If the noise was coming from the alternator or water pump or from any belt driven accessory or idler or tensioner roller bearing the noise would not be present upon starting and runnng the engine (for a moment or two) cold sans the belt.

The condition of the belt can provide a clue too as to the source of the noise.

Before you shut off the engine did you look at the voltage gage? (Assuming the car has one.) If the alternator was the source of the noise this gage's reading might reflect some problem at the alternator.

Regardless, I would advise you to avoid running the engine and arrange to get the car to the dealer via a flat bed tow truck.

The likelihood is the problem is not serious but to be safe the less the engine is run the better.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Macster. I do not have a voltage gauge, but the headlights reflecting on the garage wall look normal.
It is a persistent, but intermittent metallic clicking noise........

I'll leave her sitting until I can get to the dealership.

Quick Reply: Is my alternator dying?