Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what speed would you put into 1st gear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 12:42 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I drop into first all the time around 10mph. In heavy traffic this is a no brainer. That is what first gear is for, in addition to full stop acceleration.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I select first when the car is stopped. If you can blip the throttle while in neutral with the clutch out and can get it into first without forcing it... super. If you are ever forcing a synchronizer, however, you are causing extra wear.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecrab
My BMW doesn't like 1st at all unless the car is more or less a complete stop.
I always use 2nd gear when in stop and go traffic but do find the P doesn't like 2nd gear start much.
I've been shifting into 1st when the car is down to around 15KM or so for stop and go. Is that ok or would I add stress on my clutch?
Thanks!
At < 2 mph.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:36 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
At < 2 mph.
I can't really agree. If you know how to match speeds between engine and transmission, you shift as I do and others. Probably 3-4,000 rpm is comfortable on city streets.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that but you still want to minimize clutch and synchro wear, then you should shift down as the engine crosses 1500 to 2000 rpm when you're coming to a stop. That's about eight to ten mph as several people have mentioned already.

Gary
Old 07-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by simsgw
I can't really agree. If you know how to match speeds between engine and transmission, you shift as I do and others. Probably 3-4,000 rpm is comfortable on city streets.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that but you still want to minimize clutch and synchro wear, then you should shift down as the engine crosses 1500 to 2000 rpm when you're coming to a stop. That's about eight to ten mph as several people have mentioned already.

Gary
You disagree that <2mph is the speed at which I shift?

It may be possible to shift at higher speeds, but I don't do it.. I stay in 2nd. Its my choice. The question was: at what speed do I put it into 1st. The question was not: at what speed can one put it into 1st.

That said, I'm not usually in the type of heavy traffic that would have me puttering along at 10mph. If its that congested, I usually end up having to come to a stop, and then when the standing wave clears and things start crawling, I start out in first and let engine idle push me along in 1st.. (or 2nd). If I have to slow down much below 20 its almost always because I have to stop.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

mine agrees to go in usually about of 5mph. Say if i was on third - i depress cluth, put it into second then into neutral, release and depress clutch again and then it goes into first fine. sounds ridicolous but in reality this move is so automatic now i do not even notice it.

by manual if kinda should go into 1st gear if speed is below 25mhp i think but in relaity at any speed above 10mph it does not go imho.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:21 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
You disagree that <2mph is the speed at which I shift?
Not at all. Entirely a matter of preference. I misread your note as an answer to the immediately preceding note where mousecrab asked if he would wear out his synchros. I was saying that you could shift at higher speeds without that problem arising.

Gary
Old 07-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do not know then?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

A large part of enjoying my GT3 is downshifting. 2 down to 1 is a bit more of a challenge than coming down from the other gears, but I don't lug the engine, ever. For me, that means trying to keep the revs above 3k. Love the exhaust sound at the higher revs anyway. Can't relate to MPH for downshifting. Gotta keep it simple and only use the tac.

This might seem strange to some, but I have always been that way.

Had a Corvette that didn't need the front brake shoes replaced until after 100k miles and the rears were only half worn. I love taking corners as fast as prudent and consider it a "fun" challenge to not use the brakes. Don't think this would work well on the track, so I stay on the winding mountain roads. Each to their own.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by simsgw
Not at all. Entirely a matter of preference. I misread your note as an answer to the immediately preceding note where mousecrab asked if he would wear out his synchros. I was saying that you could shift at higher speeds without that problem arising.

Gary
Yeah, I suspected as much and was just poking fun at you.
That will teach me to not reply with a quote of the post I'm replying to.

Quick Reply: At what speed would you put into 1st gear?