Sponsored by:

Maintenance for track car

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 PM
whayes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance for track car

I am wondering what maintenance is required for cars that see track time going through 40k, 50k and 60k miles?

These obvious requirements of course are oil changes annually along with the consumables - tires, break pads, fluid and rotors.

What else is there to look out for on these cars at those mileage intervals?

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

track time is measured in hours. or DE days. each 3-4 DE days or max 5 do an oil change. oil is cheap, engine is costly. every 2 DE days take out brake pads and swap them around - inner goes to outer side and vice versa. After each DE event bleed your brakes - like total of 200ml from all 8 bleeders. I do complete system flush at the beginning of the each season - change ATE blue to ATE gold as it is easy to flush when you see color change.
rotors you`ll see - when cracks will reach outer rim or start connecting - you need new ones. people in advanced groups may use 2-3 sets per season. usually one rotor swap equals 2 brake pads swaps. pagid yellow pads are eating rotors a bit less than other brands like PFC etc but have less initial bite. keep that in mind when you decide on your setup. replace/clean air filter once a season.

if you got steel monoballs in suspension - periodically check and re-torque all connections, if sway bar links got loose, etc. when car lifted check if you got any play on wheel bearings. not sure what else. anything can brake.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:29 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Do your gear oil every 5-6 track weekends if you primarily drive on the track. If it's mixed use, change the gear oil every 15,000 miles and factor each DE weekend as 2500 off that number. So, for example, 3 track days is 7500 plus 7500 miles on the street and you're due...
Old 06-21-2011, 03:53 PM
whayes
Instructor

Thanks for the response.

I guess what I was asking was aside from the usual stuff (i have been tracking for 6 yrs but not in these cars)

Is there anything out of the ordinary to look out for thats a known issue?

For example should i ask the dealer to look for something if the car goes into the shop?

I am doing my own oil, pads, rotors and fluid but i dont know if something may be preventative that the dealer/mechanic could see....

On my M3 i would have to do pads every 2-3 weekends and rotors every 3-5....
Old 06-21-2011, 03:55 PM
whayes
Instructor

Didn't you see my video post? I am a pro )

Quick Reply: Maintenance for track car