Sponsored by:

997.2 PDK TUNING

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:24 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 997.2 PDK TUNING

I am starting out with a 09 PDK car. I wanted to do the same tuning I did on my 996 Tip.
I did a complete exhaust, a K&N Air Charger, an IPD and a REVO software. I got GREAT results with the 996.
I talked to many people and read much specs and reports. I eventually started with BMC air filters and the stock intake box. I think its a good design and dont see much difference in the aftermarkets except a longer intake tube.
I also got a Sharkwerks Bypass pipe. I would later add more free flow mufflers.
But after studying I determined I may not be gaining much more than the stock muffler.
I also am torn on the IPD plenum. I may add this later but again am not totally convinced I will gain that much.
My mechanic at Reeves Porsche talked me into the EVOMS software mainly because it reads what your engine is doing and adjusts the programs to that engine. which is more advantageous than what you get from just feeding in a preset program, like others do.
So alone with just the BMC and Sharkwerks, I decide to take the Sharkwerks and Evoms research and experience producing the ECU software on the project 997.2 PDK car.
They advertise 410 HP with this combo.
I also talk to both beforehand about my only complaint with the PDK. The slight hesitation, slight vibrations, and lag at takeoff .
I discuss the possibility of increasing the idle slightly to overcome the problems.
Yes, they both agree it may very well solve this and yes we can try it. If it doesnt work, or if there is some adverse conditions, we can just back up and keep it at stock idle again.
So with the cooperation of my friends at Reeves Motorsports dept and EVOMS, we take a couple stabs at the reprograming. Couple of minor details get sorted out. And there it is.
We drive out, slightly higher idle, NO more vibrating or lags. All smoothed out. AND a big kick in the performance. It really feels like its got more horsepower.
Alot more punch-ier and rev-ier.
So if there is 25 HP there, compared to the factory power kit, or GTS which gives you 25 HP, by my calculations;
You are paying roughly $2000 compared to $20,000 for the 25HP.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:23 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Hello Tampa neighbor!....If you want to really experience the performance of your car I've got to get you out to a track event at Sebring. You car in stock form is actually faster than you realize. With that said and really look this over and think about it...the K&N Air Chrager is open to the engine bay....HOT AIR....is sucked up into the K&N Air Charger.....you do not want this. Trust me the stock air box on the 2009 Carrera is a really good cold air piece. Don't wast your money on an aftermarket air box. As far as the IPD and Revo products I hold my reservations with those. My experience at the track is I find guys with these sort of mods are no faster than my stock car with Tubi exhaust....The Tubi was just for sound. Maybe the EvomsIt software is better....I don't know. It is really really expensive and hard to make a real 25hp on a stock 997 engine. You have to go internal and modify the intake and flow the heads more and change some of the valves and springs. This is what Porsche did with the X51 option along with a different ECU code just to get real world 25hp increase. The X51 option is expensive because it is real and works. Throwing on an aftermarket air filter, ECU and mufflers is not real world HP gains from my experience.

I spent my mods on GT3 Cup Lower Control Arms for more front camber, and I swap out to race brake pads and r-compund tires for the track. My best mods have been pro level coaching at the track.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:56 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Hello, its nice to hear from a fellow Tampon. Great to know youre into driving. The point of having a car like this is to drive and have the enjoyment of a machine that is made to perform.
Theres not alot of enjoyment driving around Tampa on these flat roads with minimal scenery.
I do take my cars up into the mountains and thrash them about. Usually once or twice a year.
Thats better than any track. I do appreciate the possibility of doing some instructional track driving too.
Maybe you can send me some info. I would like to see what is involved.
Thanks much, OKB
okbarnett@tampabay.rr.com
Old 06-18-2011, 10:03 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey mdrums - I agree with your comments but what is the deal with your avatar? Kinda creepy.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:38 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by PJorgen
Hey mdrums - I agree with your comments but what is the deal with your avatar? Kinda creepy.
LOL...the avitar...my track friends call me bionic...I lost my entire left leg 8 years ago in a motorcycle accident (on coming van took a left turn right into me on a busy road) and my prosthetic is bionic. Look up Otto Bock C-Leg and Genium..DeputyDog a great friend track friend of mine posted this Steve Austin 6 million dollar man picture so I made it my aviatar....now ya know!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:47 AM
mdrums
Race Director

At the track you can go faster and safer than mountain roads, not worry about police, not worry about on coming cars and with instruction at the track you will properly learn about the driving line, how to properly brake in a high performance situation, balancing the car properly in the corners and the comrodery of friends you will make at the track will last a lifetime.

Check out our local PCA Suncoast Porsche Club also Chin Motorsports does excellent track events all the time at Sebring. I am an instructor with these groups and other groups. If you want to talk send me your number. Doing track events (also called DE's Driver Education) will be the most fun you will have with your car....and you will be shocked at the performance level of the car on the track. The car is stock form is much faster than you are or can think of.

hope this help some...Mike
Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Thanks, for the driving info. I have done a couple of auto cross events a long time ago. I will get with you about this.
Although I do prefer driving out on the open road. And where I go, I dont worry about police. And any on coming traffic has to worry about me. But the spots I pick dont have many of either problems.
Back to the tuning on this car, After I did alot of research, the Sharkwerks and EVOMS project car did really get the HP increase. It is dyno tuned and tested. The graphs are on both websites. I didn just take their sales lit on it. Yes , there would be more that one way to increase the HP on a engine. But the end HP is the result, not how it is achieved. Beside, all the factory HP increases also use remaped ECU because all the factory engines are de tuned, to please middle of the road customers.
I just took the easy $ way.
I will be talking to you about the driving events, I sent a message. OKB
Old 06-30-2011, 06:54 PM
cayenne_ksa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think you can get more from doing sport cats. I do know that it makes noticeable difference in 997.1 and I would assume the same on 997.2. Cargraphic seems to have 2 options for that

1) 200cell cats in replacement for your existing system

2) cargraphic design headers and cats but it has to go with their X-pipe center muffler delete

Old 06-30-2011, 07:11 PM
cayenne_ksa
Intermediate

PORSCHE:
Engine upgrade to 408 hp. Comprised of modified cylinder heads, carbon-fiber air filter casing (upper part), new variable double resonance intake manifold, sports exhaust system featuring specially designed twin dual-tube tailpipes and modified engine management. NOTE: Also available in conjunction with PDK.

CARGRAPHIC:

307KW / 418PS / 6720 1/min
459Nm / 5890 1/min
Price: 5.495,00 EUR /4
consists of:
R-Exhaustsystem
DME control unit exchange,
Sport air filter
Old 06-30-2011, 10:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Also FVD has some great 997.2 headers/cats and complete systems....Thanks cayenne_ksa for the Cargraphic pics and info.

X-Pipes.....is the Cargraphic a true X pipe where right side and left side merge? I've heard that the X pipe does not really work well on a flat 6 engine. Actually AWE sells an X Pipe saying the sound is improved but it loses power. Fabspeed says the x-pipe gains power...who really knows???? I know I do not see Grand Am or ALMS 997 cars using X pipes.....might be a rule thing but I'm not sure.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:19 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Theres dozens of tuners that are making all the exhaust parts for 997.2s now. Mostly the same principals just different manufactures.
The stock header/cat from porsche is not bad. I would like to see a flow test against all the others. But for $2000 to $4000 cost for just that part, Im not seeing HP gains to match the expense. Sure it would add to the total if you put them on the car. But I doubt $4000 worth.
Also you may have to trade all these parts back to the car if you have a warrantee problem to deal with. It depends on how tollerant your dealer is. If you swap the whole ECU, then your deffinately screwed.
At least if you have a dealer put a ecu program on the ecu its pretty much invisable to any future warrantee questions.
Again, all the mods you can do will add up on the HP, but just doing one thing, ecu, exhaust, intake filters wont get you much, it takes the total package to get results.
More air in, more air out, Bump up the ecu program.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
LOL...the avitar...my track friends call me bionic...I lost my entire left leg 8 years ago in a motorcycle accident (on coming van took a left turn right into me on a busy road) and my prosthetic is bionic. Look up Otto Bock C-Leg and Genium..DeputyDog a great friend track friend of mine posted this Steve Austin 6 million dollar man picture so I made it my aviatar....now ya know!
That is some amazing technology!

As to the original question - I think you would get more performance for the dollar with suspension, brake, or tire upgrades. Horsepower without control is not very useful. The stock Carrera has plenty of hp for all public roads and most tracks. Ever see an Audi TT pass a Ferrari and a 997TT on a track? Or a Miata pass them all? It's not all about horsepower.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:38 AM
cayenne_ksa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by okbarnett
Theres dozens of tuners that are making all the exhaust parts for 997.2s now. Mostly the same principals just different manufactures.
The stock header/cat from porsche is not bad. I would like to see a flow test against all the others. But for $2000 to $4000 cost for just that part, Im not seeing HP gains to match the expense. Sure it would add to the total if you put them on the car. But I doubt $4000 worth.
Also you may have to trade all these parts back to the car if you have a warrantee problem to deal with. It depends on how tollerant your dealer is. If you swap the whole ECU, then your deffinately screwed.
At least if you have a dealer put a ecu program on the ecu its pretty much invisable to any future warrantee questions.
Again, all the mods you can do will add up on the HP, but just doing one thing, ecu, exhaust, intake filters wont get you much, it takes the total package to get results.
More air in, more air out, Bump up the ecu program.
but don't you think the factory cats are more restricted than after market 200cell. also the design of cargraphic looks better.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:32 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"With that said and really look this over and think about it...the K&N Air Chrager is open to the engine bay....HOT AIR....is sucked up into the K&N Air Charger.....you do not want this. Trust me the stock air box on the 2009 Carrera is a really good cold air piece."

I've always thought this claim was ridiculous. "Add 15hp just by installing K&N air filters"

Why wouldn't the manufacturer install it in the first place for the increase in performance???? As precise Porsche is in squeezing HP out of their engines it would certainly make this mod a standard feature..

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK TUNING