Windshield Chip

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 03:27 PM
MG's Fast Fish
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Chip

Hey guys, hope all is well.

I discovered a small chip on my windshield when washing the car yesterday. It's a few inches lower than the rearview mirror mount. Not in the line of sight.

It's more of a "hit" than a chip...I must have picked it up the last time I took a drive. It's about 2mm wide and about 1.5mm or so deep.

Is this something that you think can be repaired (no cracking, but the impact did seem to pulverize the glass more than making a chip)?

Since my Porsche dealer is way out of town (didn't even bother to notify me that they were bought, had closed, and moved), is this something a glass shop can fix or should I leave this to the dealer. I figure they outsource that work anyways.

I'm going to call my Benz dealership and see who they recommend, but thought I'd see what you guys say.

I would hope the windshield doesn't need to be replaced.

TIA!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That small a hit or chip is not hard to have repaired by one of the "spot fix" glass service providers. Once completed, you will have to look hard to see it and if it is not in your driving sight line, there will not be any light distortion coming through. You'll never notice it.

They'll come to you and most insurance companies cover it without respect to deductibles.

Once a chip spawns a crack and spreads to the edge of the windshield, you're beyond any repair option, so I'd get it fixed quickly.

Kevin
Old 06-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin K
That small a hit or chip is not hard to have repaired by one of the "spot fix" glass service providers. Once completed, you will have to look hard to see it and if it is not in your driving sight line, there will not be any light distortion coming through. You'll never notice it.

They'll come to you and most insurance companies cover it without respect to deductibles.

Once a chip spawns a crack and spreads to the edge of the windshield, you're beyond any repair option, so I'd get it fixed quickly.

Kevin
+1
Resin should take care of it.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:24 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

try loctite bullseye, you can get at most auto parts store, its about 10 bucks and you should be able to do it yourself.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used that stuff as well on other cars for the convenience. It may just be me, but the fix was not as invisible as when I've used the mobile professional services. Pro service runs about $60 - $70, but they will bill your insurance company. For the Porsche, go for the most invisible fix, it won't cost you anything.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:44 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

I had the same type chip in the exact same location ie couldnt see it from the drivers seat. Had it fixed yesterday in the parking lot of my Canadian Tire. $70 and cant see the repair unless you are really looking for it. Best get it done asap just to avoid any further spread
Old 06-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche glass is too soft. I have had 3 (minor like you describe) filled by local windshield replacement center. $60 each and I am the only one who could barely show you where they were.

Shop said it's best to get them filled asap before dirt or stuff gets into the chip.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:29 AM
DLennox
Banned

Check with your insurance as well. Most will cover the cost of the repair with 0 deductible. Find a repair service that uses the vacuum pump, not just a syringe.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:30 PM
MG's Fast Fish
Advanced

Thanks for the info guys. Talked with the dealer, and they really didn't have anyone to recommend. My MB dealer recommended Safelite. I might check out a couple other glass placed, but I will get this done soon.

Quick Reply: Windshield Chip