Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control arms/camber plates for 997.2 with Sport PASM-- Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Control arms/camber plates for 997.2 with Sport PASM-- Worth it?

So, I've been running the stock sport PASM suspension with Toyo R888s for DE events. I had the car aligned before the season and was able to get 1.4 degrees neg camber (I guess the lowering of the suspension that is part of the sport PASM allows a little more camber than the regular PASM). I've been getting very even wear on the front tires with this set up, but also am not sure that I'm getting quite as much grip as I could.

I've been thinking about adding GT3 or Cup control arms, and maybe camber plates in a hope I might dial out a bit more of the understeer I'm encountering. For those of you who have done the same, was it worth it? Did it transform the car, or was it a subtle change? Also, anything you did to the rear suspension that you found useful?

I have searched the forums, and there is some discussion of such mods to the 997.2, but I'm most curious if it is a no brainer, a subtle improvement, or not worth the effort....
Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

GT3 Cup lower control arms are worth it. Do the lower control arms instead of doing the camber plates.

Also for a few hundered more get the rear toe links too. Rear toe alignment specs will change after tracking the car.

With R888's you will find (depending on your driving style and track) that you really need at least -2.3 front and -1.9 rear to get more grip and speed in the corners.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
GT3 Cup lower control arms are worth it. Do the lower control arms instead of doing the camber plates.

Also for a few hundered more get the rear toe links too. Rear toe alignment specs will change after tracking the car.

With R888's you will find (depending on your driving style and track) that you really need at least -2.3 front and -1.9 rear to get more grip and speed in the corners.
Thanks Mike. Do you happen to know if the part numbers for the GT3 control arms are the same regardless of what car they are going into? In other words, does the fact that my car has Sport rather than standard PASM change which control arms go on the car? I want to avoid the possibility of the shop ordering the wrong parts.

Also, are the rear toe links you recommend Porsche pieces, or are there better aftermarket pieces?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Search on my name and this subject and you'll find several of my posts. Lower Control Arms on my 997.2 Sport PASM very worthwhile.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Laertes
Thanks Mike. Do you happen to know if the part numbers for the GT3 control arms are the same regardless of what car they are going into? In other words, does the fact that my car has Sport rather than standard PASM change which control arms go on the car? I want to avoid the possibility of the shop ordering the wrong parts.

Also, are the rear toe links you recommend Porsche pieces, or are there better aftermarket pieces?
Same part number and all that. Contact Bob Brooks...ViperBob on the racing DE section and he can get you the Porsche Motorsports version or you can get Tarett or RSS LCA's. These same places have the rear toe links and locking plates too. Like RonCT above said...it is worthwhile.

Quick Reply: Control arms/camber plates for 997.2 with Sport PASM-- Worth it?