Sponsored by:

Running hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 05:34 PM
grifier
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running hot

I noticed today after spirited driving (2005 c2) my temp Gage was 3/4, oil temp 275, and oil pressure was not all the way to 5. It was about 95 degrees outside and I was pushing the car for a good 40 minutes. I stopped to get some gas, started car, temp was still high but parked the car (engine running) and everything started to drop back to normal. Drove around and could not recreate issue. Is this normal? I'm new to the porsche world so not sure if I should be worried. FYI I have CPO warranty and all fluids topped off.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:20 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check that the radiators are clean but I have seen some guys post that oil temp while tracking and if you were pushing it hard in 95 deg I would think that is the explanation. Having said that I don't know ne1 who is happy to see those temps. Try running the heater full blast to remove heat more quickly next time but don't give yourself heatstroke After pushing it hard I would drive it at a steady speed on the pkwy (assuming you can) to get air flow through the radiators rather than park it. Parked the cooling fans may kick in to help the radiators out. I d k where you are but if you see those temps a lot I would go w frequent oil changes and consider 5-40 or higher visc. oil over 0-40.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:54 PM
BC-997
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those temps are perfectly normal at the track and even in stop and go traffic in hot weather. If you don't see them drop under more normal conditions then you should get the cooling system checked out and serviced. You can let the car cool down gradually with a less 'spirited' run just to keep airflow. It helps cook your rotors a little too but I never use my hand brake immediately after a long hot run.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:15 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normal, but check your radiator antifreeze level and top off if necessary. You might consider adding water wetter made by redline or going to a low temp thermostat unit.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:42 PM
ray09c2s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ran at Mid Ohio with NNJR-PCA this past Friday & Saturday, and my oil temp was hitting 275 after 4>5 laps with my '09 C2S PDK....this is the 8th event with this car, and the outside temps weren't high enough to justify. I called the dealer, and tech rep said I shouldn't exceed 250 (which it usually runs at), so I had to back off and decided to come home early. Alan C is running a third radiator, and his oil temps were 235>245, but running sport plus with PDK, I'm wondering if that might be the solution. I'll let you know if the dealer discovers anything, but I wouldn't run oil temps above 250 until I find out.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

Check your radiators. Are they both functioning up front? One side will compensate for the other somewhat
but if you were pushing it on a hot day it might not have been able to adequately.

Quick Reply: Running hot