Sponsored by:

Smart Top Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:40 PM
porscheman1963
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Top Problem

When I one-touch the interior convertible top button in the car, the top and windows close except for 1 rear window which only rolls up halfway. I called the tech folks at Smart Top and here is what they said :

This sounds like a well known problem. You can take the car to the dealership and request them to recalibrate the pinch-protection on the window that's giving you trouble. One-touch operation activates the sensor and if the window track is too tight or the sensitivity of the pinch protection is set too high,
this exact behavior you are describing is the result.

Has anyone had to deal with this pinch protection sensor, I did a search and found nothing with that name. Most folks seems to say to roll the windows up and down a few times and this solves the problem but this hasn't worked for me. Funny thing is that this all worked just fine for the last year and half and just recently started acting up.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Some time back I found that occasionally happening on one of the rear windows. I started by reeducating the rear windows. (You know the drill). The pinch issue is truly an adjustment issue. Let the service guys at it--it's not a big project.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:30 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same problem occasionally.
It's infrequent, so not particularly annoying, but if it's cheap I may bring it in.
I'm interested in how much it'll cost to fix - please let us know.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Cartronics
Banned

The original assesment is correct. Happens not just in Porsche, but most cars that have Auto Up windows. For liability (ie safety) the windows are supposed to reverse or stop if too much current draw on the motor exists (hitting an arm for instance). The window is not moving as free as it should, and "thinks" something is in the way.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:10 PM
porscheman1963
Instructor

Thanks gentlemen, I will try an re-educate the windows one more time otherwise have the dealer look at it during next oil change. It isn't really that big a deal but would still like it fixed.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I'll bite...

How do you "...re-educate the windows"??

BTW, I too experienced this once or twice but problem went away.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:51 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

To re-educate the windows...... Lower the window but continue holding the botton down for 2 to 3 seconds after the window is completely lowered. Raise the window but continue holding the botton down for 2 to 3 seconds after the window is completely raised. Repeat a second time.

The allows the sensors to calibrate where "completely down" and "completely up" in the range of motion.

Quick Reply: Smart Top Problem