Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does Porsche ' track' its customers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:46 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts
Default How does Porsche ' track' its customers?

I too received the logo mousepad today talked about in the thread below. I was so excited receiving this package thinking it was going to be some great exclusive preview , chance to order, etc the new 991. I left it sitting on my office desk all morning looking forward to opening it at lunch. A freakin mousepad, AND an offer to give me a good deal on my car as tradein toward a new one. My question is how long your name stays in the system-I bought my car new in 05. I guess it is kind of cool to not feel forgotten after you buy your car. Now how about a 10% discount on a new one!
Jim
Old 06-02-2011, 03:09 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

This is a company secret. How they arrive at who is the most likely to be influenced by their marketing tactics is very complex.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

They definitely do something w/ their database. I noticed after I bought mine, that a magazine called "worth" was coming to the house for a few months. Glad it did, gave me a great insight into a stock and I more than doubled my money!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:15 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts

I think they get it from vehicle registrations with your DMV. It has your name, address, and all the cars registered to you -- lots of useful marketing data. And these are public records and lots of states sell their lists to raise cash. I'm pretty sure that's how Ferrari got my name and sent me a invite to drive a California Spyder earlier this year.

Being a po' college student (again) I didn't take them up on their offer...
Old 06-02-2011, 01:41 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

despite buying 3 porsches - i have fallen off this list :/
i last bought in 2006
Old 06-02-2011, 02:07 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be a function of credit rating / usage, age, time since last purchase, etc. From that you could probably figure out ability and willingness to drop money on an expensive toy. They wouldn't need a DMV record for me, since I purchased from a Porsche dealer -- probably true of most Porsche buyers.

FWIW, I see no reason to trade one 997 for another, particularly with a totally new car coming out.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:13 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

despite buying 3 porsches - i have fallen off this list :/
i last bought in 2006
I think its a lot less scientific that we think, its funny when these things come out on who of us gets what.
Its almost a shotgun thing.

It could be based on your credit. When I bought my PDK the financial lady at Porsche said we were the first people who were able to get the 10K off AND the 1.9% financing on the 30K I financed
we both have credit scores over 810
Old 06-03-2011, 02:13 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
This is a company secret. How they arrive at who is the most likely to be influenced by their marketing tactics is very complex.
I thought they were pretty savvy when they sent me the hardcover brochure on the GTS just about 5 yrs after my purchase,but after the Panamera keyring flashdrive and the new mousepad...I don't know.
Jim
Old 06-03-2011, 02:32 AM
MG's Fast Fish
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get a lot. Got a USB mem. stick in the form of a Panamera.

Paid cash. Since my dealership was gobbled up, I haven't heard anything from their new handlers at Penkse.

Christophorus shows up, but i don't know how long that goes.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:09 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

3 new porsches and ive never been on the list, i think the dealer has to do with them sending you stuff too.. they mark you as this or that?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:01 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I'd be willing to bet a mousepad and a panamera USB stick that the promotion is tied not into loyalty or credit rating, but pure dealer profit. Owners who gleefully pay the sticker price with no haggling and net the dealer tens of thousands of dollars a sale are wooed, while people who successfully negotiate a low-margin sale or just tell the dealer to stuff it and buy a used porsche from a private seller aren't getting them.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know. Think they have been sending out some private-docks to follow me around. I've lived in three, soon to be four, spots since Pebble Beach last year and without fail the marketing material and their magazines always follow.

I've done change of address at the post orifice, pun intended, but that is to only forward tout mail. They always say please notify sender of change of address.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:55 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I think its a lot less scientific that we think, its funny when these things come out on who of us gets what.
Its almost a shotgun thing.

It could be based on your credit. When I bought my PDK the financial lady at Porsche said we were the first people who were able to get the 10K off AND the 1.9% financing on the 30K I financed
we both have credit scores over 810
Not sure based on credit score as opposed to assets when did credit check. Mine did not change money factor much with a very high credit score for leasing. They said most of the customers have over 800 credit scores, which I said is bs. My thought they know what the marketing segments are for their customers and do an excellent job trying to reach all their audiences.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:32 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Got my mouse pad yesteray and the same offer to buy a new p-car. I just bought my CPO '08 C2S 3 months ago. Haggled the **** out of the asking price. Bought it in SoCal and live in TX. My credit score was 820 and I did pay cash... but not sure what the marketing logic is here as I just bought my 1st p-car from them and don't have any intention of buying another one for some time. I do like, however, the free mouse pad.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Huh, I didn't get a stinkin' mouse pad - but what I did get was a lovely packet from AUDI extolling the virtues of the A4! Guess VW is looking out for the rest of you and doesn't think I fit the profile of a Porsche owner.

Quick Reply: How does Porsche ' track' its customers?