Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:38 PM
aschuftan
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 turbo vs 997 "S"

hi guys (and girls)
need your help
currently have a 993 cab tiptronic (i know, i know- it was a gift)
but now looking for a car that will "scare" me
looking for a used 2006-2009 997 but am undecided between a turbo and an "S"
I know the turbo has more power but is it worth the extra $$ and extra maint. costs? I have never driven either so i dont know.
can anyone help me out with their opinions?
also - is there a lot of difference between the years 2006-2009? They look the same but were there any major improvements between those years? or were any of those years known to have tech problems?
thanks in advance
aron
Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The age-old rules apply. Buy the newest one that you can comfortably afford. With each year came improvements. Some years (first release) you generally want to bypass, but the 997 is a fairly well sorted out auto, with many lessons learned from the 996 generation.

When you suggest that you're looking for something that will "scare" you, i'm assuming that your 993 cab simply lacks the power or quirky feeling that would scare you sufficiently anymore. Some of that may be your comfort level, and some of that may be the horsepower level.

Keep in mind that the 997 generation of "911" will make virtually any driver look like a professional rally master. The classic errors of the past (trailing throttle oversteer) are well controlled with the modern suspension and controls of the 997. When you seek a bit of terror, you have to be up into the bigger numbers with this car to get there. (You have to be above 140 mph).

Many find the turbo too dampened for their liking and thus stay with the NA engines. It has to be that way because it carries much more HP and some more weight with it. And yes, the turbo is more complex. I would suggest that maintenance on it would easily run you roughly twice what the 997S would cost. (This is because a lot more has to come off the engine to do the routine things).

With all the 997s out there, you should go test drive one of each in the manner to which you are accustomed and decide what your priorities are. With all of the added horsepower of the turbo, Porsche made a big effort to keep people from killing themselves with them--sometimes they are lucky, and sometimes they fail.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on Dan's advice - he is one of our best. After driving the 914 and 944, I faced the same issue. If you test drive both, you can feel the difference. For me it was a 996 turbo vs. a 997 S. I will tell you that the turbo felt scary - not that I lost it while driving, but the thought of what might happen with all that power. It was intoxicating. But I bought the S.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2009 C2S. I have had a turbo and two GT3s. When I drove this 2009 S "PDK" I was floored.
I dont believe the turbo is worth the difference. The C2S PDK is outstanding!!!

HOWEVER Dan has some great tips and there are two most important things is for you to drive
as many examples as possible and then choose what you want. I think you will be blown away by
the 2009 Carrera S PDK.
I WOULD however look at a PDK Turbo. I would love to drive one, it MUST be an ANIMAL!!!.

The C2S is VERY nice with the Sport chrono package and I did a little test against a 2004 Turbo and the PDK beat it. WITH the Turbo driver driving the C2S PDK
Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

I like the quickness and lightness of my 997 C2S. I have briefly driven newer tt and ttS. Felt heavier. Huge power but feels like it takes just a hair longer to spool up.
Jim

Quick Reply: 997 turbo vs 997 "S"