Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   another question about 1st gear? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/636234-another-question-about-1st-gear.html)

JLHendrix 05-30-2011 01:54 AM

another question about 1st gear?

I have an 07 C2 with 18k miles on it. I purchased it with 16k and the dealer replaced the throw out bearing and clutch under the CPO. So I have put 2k on it. Love the engine but really frustrated with first gear. I have driven manuals all of my adult life some of them 911s. Problem: from a dead stop after idle at a traffic light, I cannot get into first about 1 out of 10 times I stop. I am not talking about down shifiting or even a rolling stop. IN fact the car is easier to shift into first at a slight roll. The problem is more noticeable after the car is warm so I am thinking it is not a synchro issue. What is going on ? Dealer tech said it seemed normal. Is there a linkage or cable adjustment that might take care of this? Thanks, John

Vancouver-BC 05-30-2011 01:58 AM

I've got the same model and year of car with a few less miles. I run into the same problem, with a similar frequency as you stated. It is a bit unsettling, especially if you are at a busy intersection. With the clutch depressed, I find that if I go into second and then shift into first this helps. I remember reading another thread recently that discussed the same problem, and some people found double-clutching helped.

Zeus993 05-30-2011 02:18 AM

No problem with my 06. Seems to move into place ok. Have the dealer check it out.

GuyIncognito 05-30-2011 02:20 AM

I've had this problem with both my 997s. the second-to-first trick works.

makes you anticipate lights a bit more, especially if you're at the front of the line.

annoying, but one of those "they all do that" things that most dealers won't help with.

Vegas 05-30-2011 02:27 AM

I don't have this problem with my C4, but did with my E46 M3. I would always put it into 3rd to clear the gate and then it would slip right into 1st.

jcnesq 05-30-2011 06:09 AM

I have experienced stickiness getting into 1st but never a real problem. The shifter CAN be adjusted, and maybe your's needs adjustment.

gota911 05-30-2011 07:48 AM

I the dealer can't/won't adjust the the shift cables, you could have them check and or replace the tranny fluid.

islandtrader 05-30-2011 10:28 AM

I have the same issue in my 07 c2s with the factory short shifter kit. I just double clutch and it gets working, very annoying sometimes when you are at a light. I happens about once every couple of rides. I am assuming it is just a notchy clutch.

cviles 05-30-2011 11:39 AM

Also have this problem with the SSK on my '07 C2S. It happens less for me than it seems to for others, but it does happen. Interestingly, my '05 987S, also with the Porsche SSK does not have this problem. It could be that my Boxster has 20K+ more miles than my Carrera and the problem loosens up with time.

JLHendrix 05-30-2011 01:03 PM

Thanks for your responses. Most of this is oddly reassuring. I am still going to try to convince dealer to make a cable adjustment in hopes that I can improve it. After all many of us are often first to an intersection and want to be the first to leave as well. I cant really envision the early racing scenario of running on foot to the car with the key in the left hand only to lose those precious seconds trying to get the damned thing into gear

TomFromCT 05-30-2011 07:35 PM

I have the same issue in my 07 C4 Cab with about 30,000 miles. But only when cold. Once everything is warmed up, 1st is no problem. I use the 2nd to 1st trick when necessary.

Kevin K 05-31-2011 08:57 AM

2006 C2 cab - same issue. Now at almost 31K miles and it seems to happen much more rarely.

KJK

Kuhan 05-31-2011 01:02 PM

I too have the same problem. I have now taken to putting it into 1st as I come to a stop at the lights (with the clutch in) and then popping it out again.

Kevin K 05-31-2011 05:57 PM

Doesn't that (i.e. keeping it in first with the clutch disengaged) lead to excessive wear on the clutch or is that not the case anymore with the more modern manual tranny?

Kevin

geof 05-31-2011 06:05 PM

I've had the same issue and pretty much exactly as the OP stated- about 1/10 times from a stop- generally a red traffic light. I've also noticed that it sometimes occurs more often than others, but this could be just randomness. It is the sole flaw in what otherwise is a brilliant car.

The dealer tech has never "noticed it". It is not really a big deal, except that my warranty runs out in 2 months and I'd hate at my next dealer visit to hear "ohhhhh you notice how it is difficult getting into 1st gear? you need a new transmission!"