Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
troll
Old 05-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Troll--because they never came back after tossing a grenade into the 997 forum. If they were sincere they would be interacting and providing more insight into their perspective.

The most probable explanation is it is someone who was done wrong by Porsche and they are now attempting to cast a shadow upon their service.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:03 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

cars do brake. obviously not 1 in 8 cars, of course not. what I found quite interesting BTW - i spoke to service manager about an year ago about IMS issues and he told me that he did not see any significant variation between '05 and '06 and '07 cars on those failures. what he said - they are rare but seemed to happen on any cars despite particular build date/bearing design. for what it`s worth those were his words.

but he agrees new single row bearing design is way better. i just think - if car gets driven at least once a week then most issues will never happen. if we speak of a garage queen that sits unused for month or so - who knows what can happen there when you start her up and give her full throttle.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:04 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 997 and the engine did fail.
But Porsche replaced it.
And I don't believe all this nonsense either.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
A Porsche mechanic/..... repeatedly asserts that several cars every day come into his shop with catastrophic engine failures. ..t.
So let me get this straight...

A person trained to fix broken Porsches, get several broken Porsches EVERY DAY to fix ??
Old 05-23-2011, 01:55 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Jan 2010 I asked the service mgr at a large Penske Porsche dealership how many engine failures he has seen, while not giving exact numbers, he said 'we've had a few'. Then his advice was 'I wouldn't worry about it, go and enjoy driving your car'. He didn't offer any cautionary tips such as the typical stuff you see on this forum like 'don't let it sit' or 'change the oil more often' etc. FWIW.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
In Jan 2010 I asked the service mgr at a large Penske Porsche dealership how many engine failures he has seen, while not giving exact numbers, he said 'we've had a few'. Then his advice was 'I wouldn't worry about it, go and enjoy driving your car'. He didn't offer any cautionary tips such as the typical stuff you see on this forum like 'don't let it sit' or 'change the oil more often' etc. FWIW.
Well, he would say that wouldn't he?

I mean no car maker wants to indicate its cars require any special consideration vs. competing cars so he can only be repeating the company line.

However, I tend to lean towards the thinking about what is often times repeated here: "drive the car more" or "change the oil more often".

If these actions/types of behavior are really required then the fault lies with Porsche for not building cars well-suited for this market.

Porsche is not the only car maker that could be singled out in this regard.

BMW comes to mind because I have read it 'blames' the driver/owner for engine problems that BMW claims are due to the type of usage its cars get here in the USA. More idling. Higher temps (than say Europe).

If true, then the fault really lies with BMW for not building cars/engines that can deal with the usage here. I mean, it is not like the climate, driving conditions in the USA are not well known and testing here is rather easy to do.

There should be no surprise then what BMW cars (or Porsches for that matter) will encounter here. Cars from both automakers should be able to take being used here and serviced according the automakers guidelines with no increase in engine problems if they receive this usage and treatment, and servicing.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Basically, I agree.

I really do not follow the idea that the car must be driven at least a certain amount. With normal driving ( not tracking) I can't see changing the oil more than once per year for cars used only a few thousand miles per year. I see the biggest risk is having the battery drain. I do believe that a car will be older for its mileage if the car is only driven for very short trips due to more wear (with a lot of cold startups for the mileage). Regarding climate and fuel quality..... all auto companies know what the fuel quality is and what the climate is like in the US and should be designing cars to handle those issues.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
A Porsche mechanic/aftermarket supplier who is lauded (sometimes it seems, worshiped) on this very forum repeatedly asserts that several cars every day come into his shop with catastrophic engine failures. So either both sources are reliable or both are not.
I find that hard to believe unless he operates at a race track or is the only one in the country that can fix these destroyed engines.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 AM
dansen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though I love 928 but I am not one of them, OK ?

We really don’t need to listen to those Mickey Mouses. JD Power rated Porsche at the top 4th most dependable vehicle. The 911 has the fewest problems in the industry.

http://www.jdpower.com/news/pressrel...spx?ID=2011029
Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's right. All our cars are crap. We need to run to the nearest Carmax and trade them in for Yugos.

Yours truly-The Donald
Old 05-24-2011, 08:59 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Enuff. Don't feed the trolls.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dansen
We really don’t need to listen to those Mickey Mouses. JD Power rated Porsche at the top 4th most dependable vehicle. The 911 has the fewest problems in the industry.

http://www.jdpower.com/news/pressrel...spx?ID=2011029
I agree we've talked too much already about a silly provocation, but that is an interesting report that Dansen quotes. Not only is the 911 the car most free of initial defects in all categories, but Porsche's dependability as a brand ranks level with Acura and Mercedes in all categories including the power train. I have to say that is a very worthwhile datum. Worthwhile and downright amazing when you consider the market segment Porsche must satisfy. Even the Cayenne includes a high-performance engine, and all Porsches cater to buyers just as likely to report problems as those of Acura and Mercedes. Possibly more so, since we ask so much of our cars.

Both in business and then in retirement (the NSX), we owned several models from Acura. Any brand that can match the reliability we observed is worth owning. A brand that can do that with Porsche's uniform emphasis on performance deserves any praise we give it.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
mojo182 (07-31-2020)
Old 05-24-2011, 10:55 PM
jakes dad
Racer

This kind of crap drives me crazy... one in eight!!!!!!!!!!!
Who comes up with this stuff.... and why? I guess to make dopes like me nuts...
The following users liked this post:
BlackSlacks (10-18-2019)
Old 05-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Precisely. Notice the bearer of ill tidings has not bothered to return to comment?

Quick Reply: 997 engine reliability ???