Sponsored by:

Brake Rotors turn rust brown after washing my Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:30 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You're clearly washing it with the wrong solution. If you do a Google search for a special "dry water" solution you can avoid what is wetting your car during a "wash." It comes in different avoirdupois weight sizes.
Can you pass me that bucket of steam??
Old 05-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by roundel
Here is another fantastic use for WD40. Did you know WD stand for water displacer? Spray the rotors down with a nice coat of the stuff to avoid rusting. I find that my rotos last longer and don't squeak as additional benefits.
You're joking, of course.......
Old 05-25-2011, 10:00 AM
lupin..the..3rd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You're joking, of course.......
Machine oil would be better of course, or even a light weight engine oil like 5w-20. But in a pinch, wd-40 will work.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I take off my rotors and clean them separately at each wash. That way they won't get rusty and will look perfect for years. I use a tooth brush for cleaning the pad surface, zymol has a new gel for pad cleaning, PAD-1. It's the best because it retains the original Porsche brake pad smell.
I also don't drive my car much because of the risk of rock chips.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:10 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnusB
I also don't drive my car much because of the risk of rock chips.
Indoors only is the best rule. Local mall is a good place. Easier after they close of course.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 PM
dansen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lupin..the..3rd
Machine oil would be better of course, or even a light weight engine oil like 5w-20. But in a pinch, wd-40 will work.
Hey, I kwon you guys are joking but some people might think it is real. Put oil or wd on rotor will lose friction on braking.
I use soft water to wash my cars, the water that came out of the water softener. The water will slip away faster and have lesser spots. Somehow, I’ve never notice rusty rotors except rainy days. Maybe because the soft water and I am in SoCal.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:49 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

after washing the car, pee on your brakes.... all over em'.... keeps the rust away and the neighbours too...

Old 05-23-2013, 08:56 AM
sonicworld
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
One note if you do your own brake work: The OEM replacement part is partially painted to prevent rusting on non-wearing surfaces. You can buy cheaper rotors on the web, but sometimes these are not painted at all and the hubs will rust and stay ugly. Not such an issue for a track car, but you'll want to spend a couple extra bucks to keep a street car looking nice.
I had my front brakes done (pad & discs) and the shop used OEM with partially painted discs. Went to another independent Porsche shop because it was closer (reportedly reputable) but apparently did not use OEM on the rear brakes and now the non-wearing surfaces are rusting. Can I paint them myself? what paint should I use? I am so disappointed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:17 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Yes, you can paint them youself. Buy a Caliper paint kit and use that to paint the surfaces that rust.

Google is your friend: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/acces...|e|6916162453&

I have no affiliation with Tire Rack but I've used the product.

Last edited by CarGuy21; 05-23-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-23-2013, 04:17 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy21
Yes, you can paint them youself. Buy a Caliper paint kit and use that to paint the surfaces that rust.

Google is your friend: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/acces...|e|6916162453&

I have no affiliation with Tire Rack but I've used the product.
This is for calipers - sure you want to paint the rotors?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:27 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Yes, it's sold to paint calipers. It's high temp paint so it less likely to burn off. He wants to paint the rotor hubs NOT the rotor friction surfaces.

Last edited by CarGuy21; 05-23-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

An off topic, but true, rusty rotor story. In 1975 I had a 1966 Jaguar E-Type that I bought in Chicago and drove to the SF Bay Area. The rear main seal was shot and I burned 12 quarts of oil on the trip. When I got home, I had the real main seal replaced (for $900 dollars). I got one block from the shop after the repair and stepped on the brake pedal, a front rotor separated from the hub with a loud SNAP and a strong tug on the steering wheel. The rotor had rusted off of the hub. Proof that Chicago salt stronger than British iron.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:49 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

Originally Posted by sonicworld
I had my front brakes done (pad & discs) and the shop used OEM with partially painted discs. Went to another independent Porsche shop because it was closer (reportedly reputable) but apparently did not use OEM on the rear brakes and now the non-wearing surfaces are rusting. Can I paint them myself? what paint should I use? I am so disappointed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

wow you resuscitated an old thread....

Just get a cheap spray bottle, use extra virgin olive oil (do not use vegetable oil since it doesnt help lower cholesterol) and spritz the rotors, pads and calipers...LOL haha

j/p - please do not do this!!!

but your high temp caliper paint will work just fine. just dont get it on the contact surface just tape it off and spray the hub.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

First time I saw this (the rusty rotors) after a wash I was also shocked! The real surprise was the next morning when I went to drive it and all 4 rotors were "glued" to the calipers & the power & clutch had a tough time to get them to "release"! All normal for Porsche brakes except them high prices PCCBs! Just drive it and all is well, as usual
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Finally another solution to this common problem.

Click here to purchase Hyde's Serum Rustopper

STOP the RUST
from ruining your wash and details.

Rustopper effortlessly prevents rust from forming on your brake rotors after cleaning wheels and braking systems.

Product features:

- Rustopper was designed to prevent “rust dust” – the initial brake dust on clean wheels that occurs after washing.
- Rustopper’s Acid-free, pH-neutral formula will not attack wheel coatings, lug nuts or braking systems.
- Rustopper is safe on all types of steel and alloy wheels (including chrome and polished wheels), anodized finishes and single stage paints.

Directions for Use:

1. After cleaning wheel and braking system, rinse thoroughly with water and let excess water drip for several seconds.

2. From a close distance, apply liberally to brake rotor surface, spraying in a sweeping motion around the rotor face at least two times.

3. The liquid may fizz as it reacts with the iron rotor. Finally, wipe any excess liquid inside wheel.

Precautions:

Protect against frost or freezing. Do not apply in direct sunlight or to hot wheels.

POSSIBLE EYE AND SKIN IRRITANT. Contains Sodium Nitrite. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Use in well ventilated areas. In case of eye contact rinse immediately and thoroughly with water. Harmful by inhalation and if swallowed. Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause irritation of eyes and skin. In case of skin contact, wash with soap and water. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors turn rust brown after washing my Porsche