Sponsored by:

Brake Rotors turn rust brown after washing my Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw

Then I read some answers and noticed the one about the car that couldn't be moved. After each detail, ours does that. I have been assuming it was the tire blacking compound sticking the tires to the garage floor. Now I wonder.

Gary
Now hold on a minute. You really though that tire shine has enough stickiness to keep the car from moving?
Old 05-21-2011, 03:29 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Now hold on a minute. You really though that tire shine has enough stickiness to keep the car from moving?
To say I thought about it at all is excessive optimism. The symptom always arose just as I was leaving the garage for some appointment. I just noticed a reluctance to roll away with the usual clutch engagement, put the pedal back down, added gas and let it out with enough to vigor to overcome the reluctance. And scurried off somewhere 'important' as always.

I wouldn't say I thought about it beyond noticing the correlation between that symptom and the immediately preceding detail job. I thought about it for the first time when I read that note from someone else about their car refusing to move after washing. Can't honestly say I've seen this happen with any other car. Must be related to the new OEM pads, the post asbestos compounds that is.

Gary
Old 05-21-2011, 06:09 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vexed
Does anyone have a specific recommendation for a leaf blower? I have been thinking about it for a while, it's the water in the crevices that gets me.
I just put the hose from the shop vac on the exhaust port. It does the same thing as a leaf blower and you don't get funny looks from the neighbors.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:21 AM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
I just put the hose from the shop vac on the exhaust port. It does the same thing as a leaf blower and you don't get funny looks from the neighbors.
I've thought about that and will probably try that first to see if the concept works, thanks.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:48 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by billh1963
Originally Posted by Dartmouth
Then why did so many Rennlist Members respond with good answers? I guess after 6400 posts you have no tolerance for new Porsche owners trying to be educated about Porsche care. It wasn't a back up question. It was how to keep the rotors clean right after washing the wheels, being that the iron rotors turn to rust so quickly. The blower was a good answer. I benefitted from it as I did from Dan's more technical answer.
I guess a few people weren't sure if you were serious because:
Virtually every car I have owned with disc brakes show surface rust on the rotors after they get wet or even if they sit for a while (especially in humid areas)....unless you are a teenager most people would assume that you would have seen this at some point in your car owning experience.
+1, exactly what I was going to say!

On another note, if you are a teenager or whatever and you want to take some photos, etc after you wash, simply drive the car down the block and drag the brakes. All will be gone!

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 05-22-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:16 AM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default rusty rotors

here's my 2c: i always take my car ('96 993 - 156k) for a brisk 5 minute drive around a couple of cul de sacs in my neighborhood, alternating the direction i take around to make sure any excess water in the nooks and crannies gets forced out. this also does the job of clearing the rotors and i've never had a problem of rust or sticking.

marc
Old 05-22-2011, 01:13 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Toro Super Blower, has metal impeller, less than $80. Don't use a gas blower, for reasons cited above. The same for an air compressor, they use oil for piston lube, will get on your car. I can dry my car in less than 5 minutes. Another reason to use a blower, every time you rub your cars paint, there is a chance for grit, sand, etc. to turn your chamois/towels into a piece of sandpaper. My car is black (my favorite mistake), every scratch, nick shows up. The blower does a good job at getting the water from wheels, lights, mirrors, etc.
Years ago, my buddies had a posse of M.G. Midgets, we would rebuild the engine(s) on the kitchen table, put the block in their Mom's dishwasher. As soon as you opened the door, you could see the flash rust form literally before your eyes. So, out came the WD-40, would shoot the cylinders, stop any rust.
Their Mom was a pretty patient person...
Old 05-22-2011, 04:51 PM
lupin..the..3rd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I wash my car, it seems to get wet. How can I avoid this? Does Porsche offer a dry-cleaning service?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by lupin..the..3rd
Every time I wash my car, it seems to get wet. How can I avoid this? Does Porsche offer a dry-cleaning service?
You're clearly washing it with the wrong solution. If you do a Google search for a special "dry water" solution you can avoid what is wetting your car during a "wash." It comes in different avoirdupois weight sizes.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 AM
}{arlequin
Pro

i take the wheels off the car whenever i give it a wash and cover the brakes with shower caps i've collected from staying at fancy hotels. wheels get their own separate wash.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Trak Ratt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
i take the wheels off the car whenever i give it a wash and cover the brakes with shower caps i've collected from staying at fancy hotels. wheels get their own separate wash.
Not a bad idea but wouldn’t having them anodized be easier? BTW what does everyone do about the inside of the exhaust tips? Mine seem to get a lot of blackish, sooty deposits just idling in the driveway?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trak Ratt
Not a bad idea but wouldn’t having them anodized be easier? BTW what does everyone do about the inside of the exhaust tips? Mine seem to get a lot of blackish, sooty deposits just idling in the driveway?
I like to keep a towel handy and when I stop at the longer red lights, I'll get out and give them a quick cleaning.

(It should just wipe off)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

If you had PCCB's like Edgy you wouldn't have this personal issue. But you'd have other issues when it comes time to buy new PCCB rotors!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM
roundel
Track Day

Here is another fantastic use for WD40. Did you know WD stand for water displacer? Spray the rotors down with a nice coat of the stuff to avoid rusting. I find that my rotos last longer and don't squeak as additional benefits.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is an easier solution to getting rid of unsightly rust on your rotors. Forget about fancy shower caps or waterless washes. What you have to do is remove them. They're unsprung weight, so your car will be faster. And you never have to worry about rust or brake dust or leaf blowers again.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors turn rust brown after washing my Porsche