Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Rotors turn rust brown after washing my Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:42 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like others, I am amazed at how quickly rotors on my 997 and other cars rust when washing them. Before I can even get my cars dried off, they already have red streaks on the rotors, almost like the "rusticles" on pictures of the Titanic wreck. A freshly cut apple slice doesn't "rust" as fast as iron rotors. I find the drilled rotor holes hold a lot of brake dust, so resort to blasting the holes with water to rinse them out too. To keep from sticking the pads to the rotors after parking, i back up and down the driveway a few times. Hadn't thought about the leaf blower thing, think I'll give that a try. Griot's has a sort of blowing vaccum cleaner for this problem, too.

As for comments and replies, after a dozen+ years on various forums, I have found posters need to have a bit of a thick hide when reading some replies. No matter if the forum is automotive, firearms, watches, or charcoal grills, sometimes you just have to ignore some comments.

When i can figure out how to become a paying member, I'll sign up and be more legit. I can barely use a cell phone.

all the best from Sunny Upstate SC....
Old 05-19-2011, 04:58 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by NAM VET
When i can figure out how to become a paying member, I'll sign up and be more legit. I can barely use a cell phone.
Go to the "premium membership" link on the gray bar.....it's beside the "log out" link
Old 05-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Too many viewers - this post got out of hand. Your right, I'd be eaten alive here. I'll weigh my questions more carefully before posting here again.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:00 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never thought of using a leaf blower but that's a good idea. I usually just go for a short drive after washing to dry the rotors but that always causes black stuff (water + brake dust) to sling out from the rotors onto the insides of the wheels that I just washed, which then need to be cleaned again.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same concept as a leaf blower, but I prefer using an air compressor with the attachment you often see car washes use (have no idea what it's called). You get the added benefit of blowing water out of tight seams and inflating your tires.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This won't help the two outsides of the rotors but it sure keeps the inside (vented) of the rotor from bleeding down the rusty water. Spray the inside of the rotor the best you can w/ Loctite® Extend Rust Neutralizer ( http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/7/2...izer-Spray.htm ). Start spraying the edge of the rotor while you rotate the rotor. After washing use your leaf blower. Mask the outside of the rotors or after your treatment drive w/ your foot on the brake to burn off the overspray that may be on the outside of the rotor surface.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:54 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

About the leaf blower deal......I use a leaf blower too....be sure you use an electric blower or if you have to have gas be sure the blower DOES NOT vent the engine exhaust into the blower's air stream like most of them do. You don't want to blow 2cycle exhaust all over your car. I use a $100 battery pack leaf blower. I dry the car with an Absorber and get what else I can on the wheels and door jambs with a towel then I use a battery powered leaf blower to know off the water on the wheels and in all the crevis. My rotors rust up some but the next day when I drive the car the 1st application of brakes knocks off the micro layer of rust.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:04 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

all my garden tools are electric but i went with corded ones 5 years ago and do not want to change. 100ft cord is enough to get everywhere and you do not have to care about stupid batteries anymore. makes life easier.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:33 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone have a specific recommendation for a leaf blower? I have been thinking about it for a while, it's the water in the crevices that gets me.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by vexed
Does anyone have a specific recommendation for a leaf blower? I have been thinking about it for a while, it's the water in the crevices that gets me.
I have yet to do this, but after reading this thread, I have to go with the poster who suggested using an air compressor. The effect is the same, and I happen to have a new one in my garage, with all the attachments. The attachment he couldn't name is cone-shaped, and made out of rubber, so you won't inadvertently scratch anything with it. Excellent idea!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:28 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vexed
http://www.worxtools.com/US/18V_ni-c...AIR-P1308.aspx

light weight, good battery life, downside: not that poweful, but vey useful
Old 05-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Leaf blowers? Forget about it. I'd take it as a official extra reason to drive the car post wash good and hard. Does it get any better than that?
Old 05-20-2011, 09:03 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pay Pal problem

OK, since i can't start an original post, here is my problem. I have set up a Pay Pal account, so I can become a paying member on this site. I can log into it fine. Then, I log into this forum, click Premium Member, click on the two (or one) year payment, click on payment by Pay Pal, then the next page says "sorry", check your email...

I have set up my security questions, can can log into Pay Pal. Is there some secret handshake to actually pay to become a supporting member here? I have no confirmatory emails, if i am supposed to get one.

Anyway, before someone "eats me alive", for participating for free, I am at least trying to pay my way. If a moderator can privately email some advice, I would appreciate it.

All the best....
Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
Too many viewers - this post got out of hand. Your right, I'd be eaten alive here. I'll weigh my questions more carefully before posting here again.
I suppose weighing a question is never a bad idea, but seriously, don't take the rough answers so seriously.

Personally, I found it interesting to read the answers from others who care. Many decades ago, we would dry and polish our rotors by hand after washing. Once, in frustration, I even removed the wheels to reach the rotors better before an event where I really wanted our MG to look pristine. Now... well, my initial response was "Hmmm. A Porsche is worth caring. Wonder how the detailer does that?"

Then I read some answers and noticed the one about the car that couldn't be moved. After each detail, ours does that. I have been assuming it was the tire blacking compound sticking the tires to the garage floor. Now I wonder.

Sometimes the simplest questions make the most entertaining threads. And there's always something new to learn about a Porsche.

Gary
Old 05-21-2011, 01:15 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Is this really a serious question?
HILARIOUSNESS

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors turn rust brown after washing my Porsche