997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Rotors turn rust brown after washing my Porsche

Old 05-19-2011, 10:52 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

After washing my car, I parked immediately in the garage, without blowing the brakes. A couple of days later when I took it back, all four wheels were seized. I almost stalled the engine trying to break free from the oxidation and pads stuck to the rotors. Was not a good feeling.....

Now, I tried to drive it at least a little bit, blow the brakes or I clean the wheels, with dry rags.

Yves
Old 05-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
After washing my car, I parked immediately in the garage, without blowing the brakes. A couple of days later when I took it back, all four wheels were seized. I almost stalled the engine trying to break free from the oxidation and pads stuck to the rotors. Was not a good feeling.....

Now, I tried to drive it at least a little bit, blow the brakes or I clean the wheels, with dry rags.

Yves
wow. go figure. For me I don't think there's any way around using high-pressure sprayer to clean the black wheels. Otherwise you see every scratch.

Guess I will put a new leaf-blower on my Christmas list. ( I wouldn't think of using my old dirty one )
Old 05-19-2011, 11:55 AM
DWF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep--leaf blower. This also helps with keeping dirty brake dust water from dripping on your clean wheels.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Well, thanks to everyone for the help. Great advise. That's why come here.... to the friends of this Porsche forum, all of you.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

You can repaint those PCCB yellows to red if you chose, or black! I never quite understood the issue about different colored brake calipers.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You can repaint those PCCB yellows to red if you chose, or black! I never quite understood the issue about different colored brake calipers.
I was joking of course.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Is this really a serious question?
makes you wonder, right?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I washed mine over the weekend and took it for a quick spin. Do note that the brakes will feel a bit strange the first few times so slow speed and no traffic is probably a wise thing until you get the feeling back.

The leaf blower is a great tool as there are loads of places that water will accumulate and a rag won't cut it (e.g. around the lights) but I find a spirited drive is much more fun.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:43 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Never understood it either. The Yellow obviously looks best.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
makes you wonder, right?
LOL. yeh with some of the questions that have been turning up on this forum...like how do you guys back your cars up?....really?.....you really have a drivers license?....LOL
Old 05-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Then why did so many Rennlist Members respond with good answers? I guess after 6400 posts you have no tolerance for new Porsche owners trying to be educated about Porsche care. It wasn't a back up question. It was how to keep the rotors clean right after washing the wheels, being that the iron rotors turn to rust so quickly. The blower was a good answer. I benefitted from it as I did from Dan's more technical answer.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah don't let it sit after you wash the car. They do seize up! All our other cars get this rust right after wash, but only the Porsche brake would actually be bad enough to stick.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
Then why did so many Rennlist Members respond with good answers? I guess after 6400 posts you have no tolerance for new Porsche owners trying to be educated about Porsche care. It wasn't a back up question. It was how to keep the rotors clean right after washing the wheels, being that the iron rotors turn to rust so quickly. The blower was a good answer. I benefitted from it as I did from Dan's more technical answer.
x2
Old 05-19-2011, 02:54 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
I guess a few people weren't sure if you were serious because:
1. Other people have asked similar questions in the past and gotten similar responses
2. A search would have given you the same answers
3. Virtually every car I have owned with disc brakes show surface rust on the rotors after they get wet or even if they sit for a while (especially in humid areas)....unless you are a teenager most people would assume that you would have seen this at some point in your car owning experience.

Anyway, you got what you want. Forums are like a buffet....take what you want and leave the rest behind. Don't let the Jersey attitude flare up...no matter how "bad ***" you think you are there are people here who will eat you alive!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:33 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I washed mine over the weekend and took it for a quick spin. Do note that the brakes will feel a bit strange the first few times so slow speed and no traffic is probably a wise thing until you get the feeling back.

The leaf blower is a great tool as there are loads of places that water will accumulate and a rag won't cut it (e.g. around the lights) but I find a spirited drive is much more fun.
You need to partially bed the brakes in again. Modern braking systems don't just rely on the friction between pad and rotor, but also on the electrostatic attraction between the molecules of the pad material. Using the brakes transfers some of this material to the rotor surface, improving braking performance. Basically you washed this material off and needed to put it back -- another excuse to go drive the car after a wash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Rotors turn rust brown after washing my Porsche