Sponsored by:

PDK buttons vs new car paddles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 AM
msos
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default PDK buttons vs new car paddles?

How easy is it to shift on the wheel with the steering wheel buttons vs the newer paddles coming on latest cars?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:25 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Its very easy. A lot of people prefer the paddles for track use as one can accidently hit a button. But for street use, they are perfect and easy to use. I like mine.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:46 AM
msos
Advanced

Actually that is a concern as I would track the car maybe 4-6 times per yr and would hate to mis-shift and damage something. In my BMW with DCT paddles you can never damage the car as the computers override bad shifts or possible engine over-revving. Is the PDK the same way so you can't over-rev the car on track?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Not sure if you are asking which is easier to use, or if it's easy to inadvertently shift at the wrong time.

For me, the paddle shift is the only way to go. It's simple, intuitive, and the same setup as virtually every other manufacturer. Plus, you cannot accidentally shift when you don't want to, like in a corner.

The PDK buttons, on the other hand, are counter-intuitive, located in the wrong position, and can be activated when you don't want to shift. If you are holding the wheel correctly, it's easy to accidentally press either button, on the track or on the street.

I've owned two PDK-equipped cars, a Cayman S and a Carrera S. The first thing I did was swap out the button steering wheel for a paddle version. It's that annoying. However, the only way you will know what's acceptable for you is to drive and find out.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by msos
Actually that is a concern as I would track the car maybe 4-6 times per yr and would hate to mis-shift and damage something. In my BMW with DCT paddles you can never damage the car as the computers override bad shifts or possible engine over-revving. Is the PDK the same way so you can't over-rev the car on track?
Yes, the PDK will protect the engine. The computer is smarter than we are.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:31 PM
carbonblackcab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pcar has the buttons on the steering wheel and i love them. I was concerned about the buttons after having drivng an M3 with paddles for many years.

I prefer to buttons over the paddles. you can upshift and down**** with one hand with the buttons and it is very natural to use. I dont miss the paddles at all.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:41 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the buttons - had a loaner with paddles and it was nice too. No multifunction wheel and no heated wheel with paddles unless you go with the Champion Paddle mod - more expensive than the entire wheel from Porsche...

Bottom line though if you find a car you like, don't let that shifter configuration stop you - you can change it.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

My '09 came with buttons and I was ok with them until my first autoX with the car. A couple of inadvertent shifts while working the wheel in tight corners convinced me to shift to paddles. No damage issues as PDK is mostly idiot proof, but inconvenient to be in the wrong gear.

Now my 911, Cayenne S, and wife's A3 TDI all have paddles that work similarly, which is nice. If you aren't swapping between cars with different shift interfaces, and aren't going to track the car the buttons work just fine. Otherwise I'd go with the paddles.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:55 PM
msos
Advanced

Another concern for me is having Ferrari 360 with paddles that I drive weekly so I am used to that set up (upshift right paddle and downshift left paddle) and would like a 2009 997. I am uncomfortable changing to aftermarket paddle wheel (warranty issues) and did not want to pay for paddle car upgrade ideally...
Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i wish the paddles were fixed instead of rotatable.

i actually preferred my buttons than my paddles i have now. (when you turn wheel, they reverse/etc) buttons do not.. cause it's always pull/push.

car needs fixed paddles!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by msos
Another concern for me is having Ferrari 360 with paddles that I drive weekly so I am used to that set up (upshift right paddle and downshift left paddle) and would like a 2009 997. I am uncomfortable changing to aftermarket paddle wheel (warranty issues) and did not want to pay for paddle car upgrade ideally...
No need to go aftermarket; the OEM Porsche paddle wheel is readily available as a retrofit and fully compatible with your Porsche warranty. Cost installed will be about $1200. Doesn't seem too exorbitant for someone who can affford both a Ferrari and a Porsche.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had PDK buttons in two cars, my previous C2S and my present Panamera 4S. I have PDK shift paddles in my present 911, the GTS.

I did quite a bit of track/AX driving in the C2S with buttons. Never had a problem with them on the track but did have inadvertent shifts a couple of times on AX courses when I first started. I never inadvertently DOWNshifted - it was always an accident UPshift with the buttons. With hands at 9 and 3, when you crank the wheel over for a tight hairpin at slow speed (AX course) the "meat" at the base of the thumb can accidentally push a button, which results in an UPshift. It'll bog you down for a moment but wouldn't damage the engine even if the PDK didn't prevent overrevs - which it does.

With the buttons you learn to modify your steering wheel grip slightly. Instead of wrapping the thumb around the wheel, you simply extend your thumb up the inside of the wheel. Problem solved.

I already have 6 track days and two AX days in my GTS (still less than 3 months old!) The paddles work just fine and they're out of the way.

Now that I've driven both, and actually own both at the same time, as far as I'm concerned it's a tie. I'm fine with either system. YMMV.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 P4S
Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 AM
msos
Advanced

Decided on. 997.2 with buttons and so far after 1100 miles no regrets. Can't wait til run in time is over and I can experience the track!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:47 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I'll be selling my PDK paddle wheel in 2 months if any of you want to go that route.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:31 AM
ask
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer the paddles in my wife's VW GTI. When I manually control the PDK I use the shift stick most of the time. If you are going to go on the track you should probably get used to the buttons (or get paddles).

If I remember right the paddle wheel doesn't come with all the goofy buttons for volume control, hanging up the phone etc. While it's not exactly stylish and not very Porsche-like to listen to music and talk on the phone, they are pretty convenient.

Quick Reply: PDK buttons vs new car paddles?