Sponsored by:

New Carrera 4 GTS announced

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
How many 911 variants are there now? 40?
According to the car configurator on the Porsche website there are currently 24 versions of the 911 available in the U.S.

Carrera
Carrera S
Carrera Cabriolet
Carrera 4
Carrera 4S
Carrera 4 Cabriolet
Carrera 4S Cabriolet
Carrera GTS
Carrera GTS Cabriolet
Carrera 4 GTS
Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet
Black Edition
Black Edition Cabriolet
Targa 4
Targa 4 S
Turbo
Turbo S
Turbo Cabriolet
Turbo S Cabriolet
GT3
GT3 RS
GT3 RS 4.0
GT2 RS
Speedster
Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't forget, there was the regular GT2 and the ROW Sport Classic. That's 26, anymore???
Old 05-13-2011, 11:23 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Jok
How far did you drive it..?
Our company is Canada's largest automotive content provider and I have a test loop. We had staff at the long-lead in California in November as well. It's a stretch (and Porsche knows it) to hang any discernible difference on these model refinements.

Is it a great car? Yep. A good value? Sure. Does it perform any differently on public roads? Not one iota.

The wide fenders and RWD are neat but the former is simply a cosmetic consideration so Porsche can spare me all the proclamations regarding the purity of this or that as a performance improvement.

Call it what it is...trim variations.

I may be old school but there's the Carrera, the Turbo and the GT cars. Those are the three REAL variations. The rest is minutia.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:01 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
According to the car configurator on the Porsche website there are currently 24 versions of the 911 available in the U.S.

Carrera
Carrera S
Carrera Cabriolet
Carrera 4
Carrera 4S
Carrera 4 Cabriolet
Carrera 4S Cabriolet
Carrera GTS
Carrera GTS Cabriolet
Carrera 4 GTS
Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet
Black Edition
Black Edition Cabriolet
Targa 4
Targa 4 S
Turbo
Turbo S
Turbo Cabriolet
Turbo S Cabriolet
GT3
GT3 RS
GT3 RS 4.0
GT2 RS
Speedster
Is there a Carerra S Cab?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
It's the notion that this is noteworthy that gets people's ire up. Read their materials and presentation and seriously...**** off! Trim package, option package, whatever is fine. They are insulting the die hard enthusiast with proclamations of performance and meaningful distinction. I drove a GTS recently...you're fooling yourself if you think it's 2% different than a base Carrera...sorry...
You mean you found it difficult to find 2% difference between a car that has 345hp and one that has 408hp? That's amazing. There's a pretty substantial difference between a base Carrera and a GTS IMO. But if you can't tell the difference, you'll save a lot of $.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:13 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
You mean you found it difficult to find 2% difference between a car that has 345hp and one that has 408hp? That's amazing. There's a pretty substantial difference between a base Carrera and a GTS IMO. But if you can't tell the difference, you'll save a lot of $.
If you feel you can benefit from that power difference in a road car then great. Maybe it's just me.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A month ago I was sittin' around with my Porsche buddies and stated that I would like my next 911 to be a GTS with PDK. Knowing that I like to drive my Porsche year round a friend reminded me that it only comes as a rear wheel drive. To which I responded, "You are right....bummer."

Therefore the Carrera 4 GTS is perfect for me. Would someone please order a black on tan combo with some nice extras and take good care of it for about 3 years?

Last edited by Mark Harris; 05-14-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
ANOTHER MODEL!??!?! This is seriously becoming ridicolous!
You want ridiculous, consider the possible combination of a single base Carrera. You have one car with approximately 220 options (from the configurator and not including any special requests like PTS). Without figuring out the options that are repetitive (e.g. aluminum door sills, leather sills), the number of combinations are insane (nCr). The result is 2.2839 x 10(to the 421 power). (Even if you cut the options in half you'd still have 1.5882 x 10(to the 178 power).)

I'm really not a math whiz so please correct my math or assumptions if I've erred.

Expand this across a line of 24 models (with different option combinations) and it's no wonder that there are so many posts about "Help me spec. my car".
Old 05-14-2011, 02:24 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

If you feel you can benefit from that power difference in a road car then great. Maybe it's just me.
No offense intended but I certainly can as I have a 345HP car and a 385HP car and there is a noticeable difference. Now I suspect that it may be hard to notice the difference from 385HP to 408HP. But i would like a GTS nontheless. Not worth a $40K check though.

Everyone has their opinion of whats enough HP. TT folks scoff at 385HP. For me right now, Its almost enough. Waiting to see what a 991 brings.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:31 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I may be old school but there's the Carrera, the Turbo and the GT cars. Those are the three REAL variations. The rest is minutia.
+1... all the rest should be just *options* ppl can order for the THREE cars!
Old 05-14-2011, 06:10 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
No offense intended but I certainly can as I have a 345HP car and a 385HP car and there is a noticeable difference. Now I suspect that it may be hard to notice the difference from 385HP to 408HP. But i would like a GTS nontheless. Not worth a $40K check though.

Everyone has their opinion of whats enough HP. TT folks scoff at 385HP. For me right now, Its almost enough. Waiting to see what a 991 brings.
For sure. I may also need to move somewhere with better roads!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
A month ago I was sittin' around with my Porsche buddies and stated that I would like my next 911 to be a GTS with PDK. Knowing that I like to drive my Porsche year round a friend reminded me that it only comes as a rear wheel drive. To which I responded, "You are right....bummer."

Therefore the Carrera 4 GTS is perfect for me. Would someone please order a black on tan combo with some nice extras and take good care of it for about 3 years?
What on earth makes you think you need AWD on a 911 (except as a means of distributing the excess of power on the TT) to handle different weather conditions? Winter tyres, yes. AWD definitely not.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:58 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
What on earth makes you think you need AWD on a 911 (except as a means of distributing the excess of power on the TT) to handle different weather conditions? Winter tyres, yes. AWD definitely not.
+1. 911s are no problem in the snow with the right tires (think about all the weight over the driven wheels;-)

Quick Reply: New Carrera 4 GTS announced