Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some "Neutral" opinions on 997 Purchase- Driving myself CRAZY

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 12:15 AM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some "Neutral" opinions on 997 Purchase- Driving myself CRAZY

I've been contemplating trading my '07 550i and '00 C2 cab for SOME kind of 997. I've got a few cars in the mix and really would like the help of the forum in making up my mind. Ultimately, I'd prefer to stay ~$80k or below in whatever my choice is. Here are my dilemma options:

'07-8 Turbo coupe. Pros: It's a TURBO love the LED's Cons: PCM2, need to add Sat Nav, Bluetooth

'12 Black Edition Coupe. Pro's: '12 MY vs. much earlier cars, LED's, DFI, I get a NEW car, nice options Cons: last MY for 997, 3.6 engine

'07-'8 CPO "S" car. Pros's: CHEAP. Substantial savings Cons: no LED's, older engine, PCM2

Really would love to hear your thoughts and reasons on why you'd go with any of these particular options. Obviously, it all comes down to personal preference and how I'll be using the car. On that topic, this one will be a daily driver and will often have my kids in the rear (2 and 4). No track time. Probably 7k a year, maybe more. Chance I'll flip it late next year for a 991/8, though I REALLY don't like the thought of owning a 1st year of the model. So, if you were in my shoes right now, what would you do?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-08-2011, 01:15 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My thought is the 12 Black Edition might be the largest depreciation loss if you match it with any of the other ones on a Flip for 991 next year.
07-08 Turbo's , Ton of car for the money, and may hold value from your initial purchase
07-08 S cars....lots of talk of what the 991 will do to values, but I would think/hope intial purchase vs value at the time of 991 purchase will be a more flattened out depreciation curve.

Thats my money perspective opinion, shot from the hip.

Faced with not flipping for a 991 ? That would bring up more personal reasons for each to own and love, and Neutral responses may be tough to find.

You didn't mention 09 S cars...
Old 05-08-2011, 01:25 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by UNC Nick
I've been contemplating trading my '07 550i and '00 C2 cab for SOME kind of 997. I've got a few cars in the mix and really would like the help of the forum in making up my mind. Ultimately, I'd prefer to stay ~$80k or below in whatever my choice is. Here are my dilemma options:

'07-8 Turbo coupe. Pros: It's a TURBO love the LED's Cons: PCM2, need to add Sat Nav, Bluetooth

'12 Black Edition Coupe. Pro's: '12 MY vs. much earlier cars, LED's, DFI, I get a NEW car, nice options Cons: last MY for 997, 3.6 engine

'07-'8 CPO "S" car. Pros's: CHEAP. Substantial savings Cons: no LED's, older engine, PCM2

Really would love to hear your thoughts and reasons on why you'd go with any of these particular options. Obviously, it all comes down to personal preference and how I'll be using the car. On that topic, this one will be a daily driver and will often have my kids in the rear (2 and 4). No track time. Probably 7k a year, maybe more. Chance I'll flip it late next year for a 991/8, though I REALLY don't like the thought of owning a 1st year of the model. So, if you were in my shoes right now, what would you do?

Thanks in advance!
If you are planning to *flip* next year, then to me, you shouldn't buy brand new *black edition*.

The power of .1 C2S is similar to newer black edition, so power-wose you're fine.

Between Turbo and non-Turbo, 07-08 cars... gotto drive one to see if you REALLY need the extra torque/power.

The PCM2 is just fine, just budget about $1000 for a bluetooth/iPod kit and you're good to go.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:55 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flip in a year?

Just wait a year. Don't buy anything now.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:00 AM
UNC Nick
Instructor

main reason for not looking at the '09 S cars is because I can get the '12 Black Edition for almost exactly the same price. In that particular case, my personal preference is for the new car that I know all of the history on. The '07 S cars (and some '08's) are generally a drastic savings (20-30k) that I just can't ignore, even though I don't know the specific history of each. I'd require a CPO with this option, though, as I'm not comfortable owning a car whose history I don't know without protection. Don't want a 997.1 3.6 engine. The Turbo is in the hunt, well, because it's a Turbo. I love the look and extreme performance, both far outweighing the PCM2 issue for me. Again, CPO is an absolute requirement.

My thinking on the '12 car is that, in 2 years, it'll be the newest model of the 997's and command somewhat of a premium over the '10 and '11 cars if for only that reason. The ~$6k of "included" options on the car, plus the additional discount that I'd be getting would seem to mitigate a lot of the immediate depreciation (of course I know that every new car depreciates the second it leaves the lot). It just feels like a really good deal for a brand new car- one that I doubt I can match on a 998/1 launch car.

I guess another way to look at at is that I've just got the itch to get something now. If the 998/1 were actually COMING in September, I'd probably have one on order already. That said, I'm not enamored with owning the first year of the new model run. Buying a year 2 or 3 would be much preferred. I also seriously doubt that I'll be able to get any "deal" on the next-gen car for at least a year. I'm working on a discount roughly 10% off the list of a like-equipped '11 Carrera with the Black Edition if I do decide to buy new now.

Sincerely appreciate your thoughts and questions. I'm typically pretty decisive but my mind and logic seems to go to mush when purchasing a new Porsche come into the mix...
Old 05-08-2011, 02:04 AM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Flip in a year?

Just wait a year. Don't buy anything now.
Probably the right move. No question this is more impulse than need. Whether or not discipline holds is another story all together.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:23 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by UNC Nick
main reason for not looking at the '09 S cars is because I can get the '12 Black Edition for almost exactly the same price. In that particular case, my personal preference is for the new car that I know all of the history on. The '07 S cars (and some '08's) are generally a drastic savings (20-30k) that I just can't ignore, even though I don't know the specific history of each. I'd require a CPO with this option, though, as I'm not comfortable owning a car whose history I don't know without protection. Don't want a 997.1 3.6 engine. The Turbo is in the hunt, well, because it's a Turbo. I love the look and extreme performance, both far outweighing the PCM2 issue for me. Again, CPO is an absolute requirement.

My thinking on the '12 car is that, in 2 years, it'll be the newest model of the 997's and command somewhat of a premium over the '10 and '11 cars if for only that reason. The ~$6k of "included" options on the car, plus the additional discount that I'd be getting would seem to mitigate a lot of the immediate depreciation (of course I know that every new car depreciates the second it leaves the lot). It just feels like a really good deal for a brand new car- one that I doubt I can match on a 998/1 launch car.

I guess another way to look at at is that I've just got the itch to get something now. If the 998/1 were actually COMING in September, I'd probably have one on order already. That said, I'm not enamored with owning the first year of the new model run. Buying a year 2 or 3 would be much preferred. I also seriously doubt that I'll be able to get any "deal" on the next-gen car for at least a year. I'm working on a discount roughly 10% off the list of a like-equipped '11 Carrera with the Black Edition if I do decide to buy new now.

Sincerely appreciate your thoughts and questions. I'm typically pretty decisive but my mind and logic seems to go to mush when purchasing a new Porsche come into the mix...
Your reasoning is wrong, you won't recover more out of Black edition than another new car... it's all about priorities, if you care mostly about value, and deprecitation, then 100% 07-08 CPO car is the best value, end of story!

If you HAVE TO have the latest, then you pay for it!

PS. If you wannt get a special edition 997.2, the only car to consider is GTS. Black edition is just cosmetic stuff, you can order ALL on a regular car and I am sure you will find a C2 car with MORE/BETTER options than Black edition!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:23 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you can get a black edition for the same price as an 09 S, you're not shopping hard enough.

IMO, I'd think hard about the turbo. i have an 09 Carrera S PDK, specified just how i want it, but you'll eat a ton of depreciation if you get a black edition so if it's not your dream car, sleep on it and shop around.

i don't think the PCM2 was that bad and the bluetooth in my '09 sucks anyway. i mean it works, but nobody can hear me very well. i do happen to loooove sat radio, so yes, you'd have to add that.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:08 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

If you have to do something right now, I'd get an 09 C2S . Easily pick one up for $80K - closer to $70K. Maybe I'm biased - coz thats what I did/have (although I bought mine new at the time). Love it. Its got a nice power upgrade from the 997.1S plus PCM 3, newer suspension. Its a really nice car. Plus all the mod cons - nav, BT, sat radio etc. From there i'd go Turbo and make sure its in great condition or you could have some maint $ coming.

A very good alternative to save $ would be an 07 or so C2S. Still a great car and maybe for $60K or less. So $15-20K less outlay now. I'd say you may save some on depreciation too. But marginal.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:11 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I, too, would get the '09 C2S. Better bang for the buck versus the Black Edition, and you will take less depreciation.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:11 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other have already said it, but I'll pile on.

It doesn't make any sense that '09 C2S is not on your list. Much cheaper than new and basically the same car.

That said, 09's still have a lot of depreciation left before they settle down to a more stable value. The 06-07 cars are great and much cheaper.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:15 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Thanks for the replies all. I've re-prioritized after another 12+ hours of research and obsessing (let me tell you how happy that's making the wife). '09 "S" and 07 "S" are what I'm down to. That said, after reading up on all of the latest 991 information I may just throw a deposit down on the first build or launch edition that my dealer gets. HATE thinking of paying MSRP for the car, but I'm drooling over it thinking of getting the exact specs that I want- color, PDK, 3.8 engine, glass roof, full leather, heated steering wheel, others- and being the first owner of the car. Absolutely LOVE the renderings and spy shots that are out. Best case, it sounds like delivery COULD be here by Dec of this year according to some supposed insiders.

Definitely not a final decision yet, but I'm leaning towards selling my 550i now and driving my 996 until the 991 hits. Immediate gratification is significantly delayed and I'll definitely end up spending a lot more on the car than I would a 997, but starting to feel like it's the choice that will make me happiest for the longest period of time. That said, don't hold it against me if I'm posting pics of my new-to-me 997 sometime over the next few weeks... d@mn lack of self control.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:55 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the Turbo, resale value & will put a bigger smile on your face every time you drive it.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I am in almost the exact same position. My M5 goes to BMW on Monday/Tuesday this week (they are paying me what I owe as they want the car to sell-it's not a lease) and I have been unable to make the exact decision you are going through. I keep going back to the 07-08 Turbo for many reasons, but the hold up for me if that I am afraid the TT is "over the top" and there is really no need for the Turbo. 06-10 C2S' have plenty of power and the NA feel but...... I dream of the Turbo and the crazty power...... hence, it's been since February and I'm still without a Porsche. Also, not that Spring/Summer is here, dealers are jacking prices cause they can. I may stick with my X5 until the Fall/Winter and see what comes on the market.... Did I mention I love the power of the Turbo? :-)

PS - the Turbo felt a little numb to me...... steering/clutch compared to the NA 911's. Anyone feel the same?
Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

The TTs have the reputation of being "detached". There's many reviews on them avaialbe. However I am one of the one's that love the look of the TTs and would consider it as well. The power? I now feel driving in the city that my C2S may have too much as I rarely get it out of 2nd or 3rd gear. Perhaps as lesser powered straight C would be more fun. I have a C2S and love the feeling of the steering yet have yet to drive the more visceral GT3. That may be be car for me. The bottom line is get the car you love and get a different one at a later date. You may lose some money on the trade but we are not talking investment properties here.

Quick Reply: Looking for some "Neutral" opinions on 997 Purchase- Driving myself CRAZY