Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Carrera undergoes a Chapman diet @ $10 a pound.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

If you have sport adaptive seats you can save a bunch of weight for the weekend DE. Take both seats out and put in one shell. Be careful, you might get a hernia lifting the sport adaptive seats.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts
Default So much for a weight reduction

I find myself in the NC mountains tonight heading to Tellico Plains, TN and a night in a "dry" town. Hence the reason I'm carrying all all this beer.
Did I mention the frunk can carry a lot ****?

Tomorrow I'm run the Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway.
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM
John95cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer says my battery is on its last legs. I was thinking about doing this. The question is do you think 380 CCA is enough for our engines? Road not track use.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan C.
If you have sport adaptive seats you can save a bunch of weight for the weekend DE. Take both seats out and put in one shell. Be careful, you might get a hernia lifting the sport adaptive seats.
Just regular Sports Seats in my car.

Originally Posted by John95cab
The dealer says my battery is on its last legs. I was thinking about doing this. The question is do you think 380 CCA is enough for our engines? Road not track use.
I'm not familiar with the 380.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:52 AM
John95cab
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce R
I'm not familiar with the 380.
The Odyssey website specs 380 cold cranking amps for the PC925 battery that you installed. The Odyssey dealer recommended the 34PC1500 which has 800 cold cranking amps but also is basically the same size and weight as OEM.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:26 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by John95cab
The Odyssey website specs 380 cold cranking amps for the PC925 battery that you installed. The Odyssey dealer recommended the 34PC1500 which has 800 cold cranking amps but also is basically the same size and weight as OEM.
What's OEM cold cranking amp? If OEM is 800, I really wouldn't use 380. I know it's nice to save a few pounds, but I rather NOT get stuck somewhere with a dead battery than 10 pounds weight save at the wrong side!

Like with such a battery you always have to worry about trickle charge, how long did you leave your stereo on, if there would be any issues in cold weather starting, etc...
Old 05-14-2011, 02:31 PM
ad-01
Advanced

That's a nice
Old 05-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
What's OEM cold cranking amp? If OEM is 800, I really wouldn't use 380. I know it's nice to save a few pounds, but I rather NOT get stuck somewhere with a dead battery than 10 pounds weight save at the wrong side!

Like with such a battery you always have to worry about trickle charge, how long did you leave your stereo on, if there would be any issues in cold weather starting, etc...
Not necessarily true. You will be fine with it. I have one in my Spyder..... never an issue even in the cold.
PC 925 Specs:
925 cranking amps for 5 seconds
870 cranking amps for 10 seconds
765 cranking amps for 20 seconds
675 cranking amps for 30 seconds
Short circuit current over 2400A
28Ah
52 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
CCA - 380 (Is this important?)

Cold Cranking Amps: For all the power, durability, and life of our technology, the cca ratings can seem disapointing. That's because the cca ratings are often misunderstood. Odyssey batteries are SLI (starting, lighting and ignition), so if you are looking for a starting or reserve battery the cold cranking numbers can be irrelevant.

The "standard" cca test measures the output of a battery for 30 seconds of crank at 0 degrees with the ending voltage of the battery being 7.2v. Some companies use 15 or 20 seconds and some companies use 32 degrees which can make for better results.

A vehicles starter isn't designed to withstand 30 seconds of cranking so we feel the batteries starting power is more important. The Odyssey part numbers represent the 5 second cranking power of the battery.

The PC680 is rated at 680 amps for 5 seconds, 595 amps for 10 seconds, and 525 amps for 20 seconds. Cranking power is even higher for the first four seconds. Similar sized lead acid batteries are only rated at 180 - 220 amps.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:39 PM
John95cab
Instructor

Thanks for the info, I would have done this but the dealer (Porsche of Tysons) gave me a battery installed, for the cost of the battery (no labor).
Old 05-27-2011, 02:02 AM
RaceCadet
AutoX

Bruce - Most inspiring frunk pic I've seen in a while in post #17. Thinkin that mutherfrunker of yours could actually carry an entire 'nuther cooler if you got rid of those shoes.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Feelgood MD
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update??

Bruce, would you (or anyone else who has done this mod) mind posting an update with your experience using this 925T + Rennline bracket system for the last few years? Any problems or issues as a DD, starting in cold, running accessories (charging phones, etc), necessity of trickle charger, etc?

My wife's battery is dead so this is a perfect excuse to give her mine and upgrade to this in my car! But as both a DD and track car, it's unclear to me whether this battery is the best option for me. In my experience, you typically have to give something up on the street to get a gain on the track and vice versa...so can this battery really do both street and track duty well??
Old 12-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Feelgood MD
Bruce, would you (or anyone else who has done this mod) mind posting an update with your experience using this 925T + Rennline bracket system for the last few years? Any problems or issues as a DD, starting in cold, running accessories (charging phones, etc), necessity of trickle charger, etc?

My wife's battery is dead so this is a perfect excuse to give her mine and upgrade to this in my car! But as both a DD and track car, it's unclear to me whether this battery is the best option for me. In my experience, you typically have to give something up on the street to get a gain on the track and vice versa...so can this battery really do both street and track duty well??
My Optima battery lasted 5 years. Yes I generally used a trickle charger and the car was indoors. Getting 5 years out of any battery is good I believe. I did notice the car turned over slower in the fifth year. My Carrera is not a DD but I hope the above serves as a data point. No issues with running accessories.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:05 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Forget the weight, I'd buy that just because it looks cool and I'd get to play with tools on my car!
That pretty much it. Its all about the entertainment value.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Feelgood MD
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruce R
My Optima battery lasted 5 years. Yes I generally used a trickle charger and the car was indoors. Getting 5 years out of any battery is good I believe. I did notice the car turned over slower in the fifth year. My Carrera is not a DD but I hope the above serves as a data point. No issues with running accessories.
Thanks. That's a good enough data point for me. I just ordered the PC925T from Amazon for $155 shipped and the mounting bracket from Rennline for $135 shipped (they happened to have a 15% off Xmas sale!).

For frame of reference, the 47lb Bosch brick would've set me back $235 at Pepboys so I'm effectively getting a 20lb savings for only $55...or $2.75/pound!!!

Can't wait to install it. I love a good excuse to get out the tools and work on my Pcar!

Oh, by the way, what trickle charger did you use? Was it one of the kind that charge through the cigarette lighter or did you pop the hood and use the alligator clamps each time? The Odyssey tech on the phone recommended at least 7-8A but ideally 10A for max charging potential for these batteries. According to her, the cigarette lighter kind typically don't push that much power so they're suboptimal (and may theoretically void the warranty). Just curious what kind you used and apparently found sufficient. Thanks again for the update!!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:26 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just throwing this out there. What does the 20 lbs do to the already rear weight bias? Is it insignificant to effect that? Older Porsches used ballast in the front to help with the rear weight bias. Does this move the balance in the rear direction with any significance?

Quick Reply: My Carrera undergoes a Chapman diet @ $10 a pound.